Creative Super X-Fi headphone holography
Feb 7, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #826 of 1,003
@HieroX Hey, I see you’re based in Singapore. Were you one of the lucky first customers to get a personal PRIR measurement by Creative for your SXFI profile back when the AMP launched?
Unfortunately no. I got my SXFi amp late November, so I think I missed the boat for that. I have heard of some people who got it though. They felt that it is a lot superior to the gen1 photos and.

I remembered some Creative staff was saying they planned(tentatively) to introduce the mic-caliberation for the price of another SXFi amp. It obviously wasn't that well-received, or implemented.

Feb 13, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #827 of 1,003
I am on the latest drivers and firmware. (Firmware: 1.2.2000107.1510, Driver: 1.16.4.8) I even redid a new gen2 profile. While the distortions have cleared up some, it is still present in busy tracks. The SXFi amp does not suffer from this issue. For me, the distortions only appear when SXFi is enabled. When using SBX surround, there are no distortions.

Also, I did some comparisons between the X3 and SXFi amp when the SXFi feature is turned off. There are no distortions in either of them. So, the problem only lies in the way SXFi is implemented in the X3.

I have been communicating with Creative via email for quite a while now regarding this issue. In the latest response from Creative, they said that there was a difference in sound when checking Audio Enhancements, and unchecking it.

" Thank you for contacting Creative Labs.

We have forwarded your feedback to the relevant people.

We found that enabling and disabling "Enable audio enhancements" on Windows Sound settings gives a different output when Super X-Fi is enabled. "

This email was sent to me after the most recent firmware/driver/sound blaster update.

I have tried both checked and unchecked, if there were any difference in the output, I can't really hear it. However, the distortions are still very present in both settings.

I had also listed out the tracks that I used for testings, and here's the list:

- Detach from Interstellar OST

- The Trail from the Witcher OST

- Tenrai -Divinity I and II from Final Fantasy Advent Children OST

- Sara ni Tatakau Mono-Tachi from Final Fantasy Advent Children OST

To take note that these tracks are highlighted because they have very noticeable distortions. After the firmware update, this track - Molossus from Hans Zimmer's Batman Begins - have minimal distortions now.

When using the SXFi amp, there were no distortions at all.

All tracks used were .FLAC files, 24bit/48kHz-96kHz.

I was told repeatedly that the SXFi functions the same on both the amp and the X3. This is clearly not the case, and there are a number of users who experienced the same thing as me. You can also check out the dedicated SXFi thread on Headfi for those reports.

Also, after weeks of communicating with Creative on this issue, I offered to bring down the X3 to the service centre. I got this reply on 10th Feb 2020:

"Thank you for your reply.

If the issue is on the software and driver, there is nothing much we can help with on Creative Customer Care Center.

But we may be able to know more about the issue."

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #828 of 1,003
I am on the latest drivers and firmware. (Firmware: 1.2.2000107.1510, Driver: 1.16.4.8) I even redid a new gen2 profile. While the distortions have cleared up some, it is still present in busy tracks. The SXFi amp does not suffer from this issue. For me, the distortions only appear when SXFi is enabled. When using SBX surround, there are no distortions.

Also, I did some comparisons between the X3 and SXFi amp when the SXFi feature is turned off. There are no distortions in either of them. So, the problem only lies in the way SXFi is implemented in the X3.

I was told repeatedly that the SXFi functions the same on both the amp and the X3. This is clearly not the case, and there are a number of users who experienced the same thing as me. You can also check out the dedicated SXFi thread on Headfi for those reports.

I'm using the SXFI amp with Sundara headphones using the HE4XX profile. I don't get any distortion when using USB through my phone or through my Shield Android TV console, but I do when using it with SXFI on or off through my computer with any bass notes. I'm pretty sure that's a power issue though (though I still need to try other USB ports). Having said that, I do wonder if there is a hardware issue that is affecting some X3s where components aren't capable of handling handling the power needed for bass notes since your issues are with lower notes and busy sections. Do you still get distortion when you turn the volume down? Have you tried using a different source or connection type?

I am interested in the X3, but I think I will wait to get it until this issue is resolved. I'm also pretty sure I will need a powered USB hub to use it. I really wish it had a separate connection for a power source.

I also wanted to say SXFI gen 2 is pretty amazing. By far the best 3D audio for headphones that I've heard.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #829 of 1,003
What distortions are we supposed to hear and roughly where? Because I can't say I hear anything. I've seen people mention distortions on X3 on Creative's Reddit, but I just have no idea what is it all about.

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #830 of 1,003
I'm using the SXFI amp with Sundara headphones using the HE4XX profile. I don't get any distortion when using USB through my phone or through my Shield Android TV console, but I do when using it with SXFI on or off through my computer with any bass notes. I'm pretty sure that's a power issue though (though I still need to try other USB ports). Having said that, I do wonder if there is a hardware issue that is affecting some X3s where components aren't capable of handling handling the power needed for bass notes since your issues are with lower notes and busy sections. Do you still get distortion when you turn the volume down? Have you tried using a different source or connection type?

I am interested in the X3, but I think I will wait to get it until this issue is resolved. I'm also pretty sure I will need a powered USB hub to use it. I really wish it had a separate connection for a power source.

I also wanted to say SXFI gen 2 is pretty amazing. By far the best 3D audio for headphones that I've heard.

The distortions are only present when SXFi is turned on.
SBX, Direct Mode, or plain stereo are not affected by any distortions at all. Volume also doesn't affect the distortions, as they are still present whether soft or loud.
I have no technical way to describe the distortions, except that it feels like certain frequencies(mainly mids and lows) are not reaching the correct amplitude/loudness as needed. In comparison with the SXFi amp, the X3 fails in outputting the correct SXFi effect.

Orchestra music doesn't seem to be affected much, which makes sense since they tend to have less lows, even if the tracks are busy.

I think it's a firmware/driver issue, as the latest updates from Creative manages to reduce the distortions a little. However, it is still present enough to be not enjoyable.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #831 of 1,003
The distortions are only present when SXFi is turned on.
SBX, Direct Mode, or plain stereo are not affected by any distortions at all. Volume also doesn't affect the distortions, as they are still present whether soft or loud.
I have no technical way to describe the distortions, except that it feels like certain frequencies(mainly mids and lows) are not reaching the correct amplitude/loudness as needed. In comparison with the SXFi amp, the X3 fails in outputting the correct SXFi effect.

Orchestra music doesn't seem to be affected much, which makes sense since they tend to have less lows, even if the tracks are busy.

I think it's a firmware/driver issue, as the latest updates from Creative manages to reduce the distortions a little. However, it is still present enough to be not enjoyable.

So this is an issue with reproducing the correct volume levels for lows and busy sections of a music track (or altering lows and busy sections differently), not distortion that sounds like static or like your music is breaking up?

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #832 of 1,003
Hey all, I just came back from Creative Customer Service.

I brought both my X3 and SXFi amp there to demonstrate the differences between them in terms of SXFi implementation.
The Creative staff had taken note of the issues with X3, and have assured me that they are aware of the issue. They also told me that a firmware update is currently in development to address this issue.
Internal testings have revealed that it is likely to be DSP related, as I heard the improvements when they adjusted some settings on their laptop.

All in all, I am glad that a firmware fix is incoming, and I got to try out their SXFi theatre headphones!

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #834 of 1,003
Hey all, I just came back from Creative Customer Service.

I brought both my X3 and SXFi amp there to demonstrate the differences between them in terms of SXFi implementation.
The Creative staff had taken note of the issues with X3, and have assured me that they are aware of the issue. They also told me that a firmware update is currently in development to address this issue.
Internal testings have revealed that it is likely to be DSP related, as I heard the improvements when they adjusted some settings on their laptop.

All in all, I am glad that a firmware fix is incoming, and I got to try out their SXFi theatre headphones!
As another user who noticed the clear degradation in fidelity and performance of the SXFI algorithm for certain cues on the X3 versus on the AMP, good job and thanks!

How were the SXFI Theatres in comparison to your own Headphones + SXFI AMP pairing (what headphones do you use for SXFI btw?) ?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #835 of 1,003
As another user who noticed the clear degradation in fidelity and performance of the SXFI algorithm for certain cues on the X3 versus on the AMP, good job and thanks!

How were the SXFI Theatres in comparison to your own Headphones + SXFI AMP pairing (what headphones do you use for SXFI btw?) ?

To be honest, I didn't get to try it out for long, but initial impressions is that it is decent. I am not an audiophile, but I see no need to get it when I already have the X3 and SXFi amp, unless I intend to watch movies on my TV instead. I game and netflix and chill out more on my PC lol.

I have both the HD600 and the Massdrop HE4XX. The engineer I spoke to said that he also have the HD600. According to him, HD600's SXFi profile should be set to the 6XX instead of the HD650, as it is tonally more similar. All you have to do is dial down the 2-4k range? I will have to confirm with him later through email.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #836 of 1,003
To be honest, I didn't get to try it out for long, but initial impressions is that it is decent. I am not an audiophile, but I see no need to get it when I already have the X3 and SXFi amp, unless I intend to watch movies on my TV instead. I game and netflix and chill out more on my PC lol.

I have both the HD600 and the Massdrop HE4XX. The engineer I spoke to said that he also have the HD600. According to him, HD600's SXFi profile should be set to the 6XX instead of the HD650, as it is tonally more similar. All you have to do is dial down the 2-4k range? I will have to confirm with him later through email.
Fantastic!

Mar 12, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #838 of 1,003
hi guys.
dunno if this is the right place to post this but if not i apologise.

How does the soundbaster X3 compares to the GSX 1000?
dunno witch one to buy.

Thanks
The GSX 1000 is a complete hassle free device for gaming. It is driverless. It gives you no choice. It either works for you or not. I run a Sennheiser headset GSP500 or GSP600 from it and it is perfect for gaming. For music I prefer the SXFI devices. They give you choice and tons of settings plus the personal 3D profile is awesome. For gaming that is overkill.

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #839 of 1,003
It has to be said that the X3 is basically also driverless (as in - it works with the drivers included in Win10) if you only want to use SXFi, not SBX or any of the Crystallizer and Scout mode nonsense. You only have to create your SXFi profile, but you can do that on your phone and then upload it from the phone to the device without ever having to install any Creative stuff on your PC.

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #840 of 1,003
The GSX 1000 is a complete hassle free device for gaming. It is driverless. It gives you no choice. It either works for you or not. I run a Sennheiser headset GSP500 or GSP600 from it and it is perfect for gaming. For music I prefer the SXFI devices. They give you choice and tons of settings plus the personal 3D profile is awesome. For gaming that is overkill.
I have the gsx 1000 and it works for me but some times i think it has not enough juice to power headphones (was using shp9500s).
I also want to ask you if you recomend GSP500 for competitive gaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back