Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Sep 26, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #946 of 3,608
Seriously considering Op-amp rolling. The stock sound signature of x7 does not work for me.
I already know has a nice cooperation with OPA827 AND OPA 627.
But how about discrete Op-ams, e.g.​
Sparkos Labs. Dual Discrete Op Amp SS3602​
994Enh-Ticha Dual Discrete Operational Amplifier DIP8 http://sonicimagerylabs.com/products/Model994DiscreteOpAmp-Ticha.html
Burson Supreme Sound Op-amp​
NewClassD Discrete OPAMP 8 pin DIP Dual Special Edition http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=123&hv=1

Anyone got experience?​

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #949 of 3,608

Anyone?​

Doubt it, however the X7 FAQ does mention types of op-amps that are supposed to work with it, so go ahead and experiment.

just ordered my X7...

Congratulations, I hope You'll have a good time with that device.

There is one thing that kinda bothers me about the X7 XM7 pairing. The High Power Amplification mode only works with the impedance switch set to 4ohm while Creative advises to set it to 8ohm when using the X7 together with 6ohm speakers (such as the XM7). So do we just ignore Creative's advice or does the Power Adapter Upgrade kit improve the sound even with High Power Aplification turned off? @earfonia - any opinion on that matter?

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #950 of 3,608
  Doubt it, however the X7 FAQ does mention types of op-amps that are supposed to work with it, so go ahead and experiment.

Congratulations, I hope You'll have a good time with that device.

There is one thing that kinda bothers me about the X7 XM7 pairing. The High Power Amplification mode only works with the impedance switch set to 4ohm while Creative advises to set it to 8ohm when using the X7 together with 6ohm speakers (such as the XM7). So do we just ignore Creative's advice or does the Power Adapter Upgrade kit improve the sound even with High Power Aplification turned off? @earfonia - any opinion on that matter?

When I compared the standard and high power adapter, I didn't change any setting on the control panel, and used the 8 ohms setting, and I heard improvement when using the high power adapter, as described in my review.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #951 of 3,608
Finally got a working X7 LE after getting a bum unit from MD that had to get RMA'd. My unit's left speaker posts were outputting horrendous audio, the tinny, scratchy, echoing type. Kinda lost a lot of the cost saving from having to pay for shipping but at least it was <1 week turn around.

My current setup with the X7
PC > USB > X7LE > 2x Monitor Audio Radius 90's/Ultrasone PRO 2900/AKG K7XX
Media Player of choice: MPC:BE

Been trying to figure this out on my own but my google-fu seems to be lacking. Can the X7 virtualize 5.1 DTS/DD over usb from an MKV container to 2 speakers or headphones?
My MPC:BE settings are pretty much stock and handle all the codecs. Tried LAVFilters but couldn't tell if that was working. Playing a video file with DD and the DD indicator doesn't light up. I've also tried setting the X7 to 5.1 in the window's Sound options but I just ended up killing all the channels except for L&R (so no dialog).

I'm getting the feeling that the DD decoding is limited to OPT-IN.

I haven't gamed at all with the X7 yet since I've been trying to figure out this problem for a few days now. Probably should've researched this before purchasing but kinda thought that it'd work like my H&K receiver and be able to virtualize 5.1/7.1 DD/DTS (at least DD) down to a 2.0/2.1/3.1/headphones.

Side question, How should I set my settings for MGSV:TPP on PC?

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #952 of 3,608

Seriously considering Op-amp rolling. The stock sound signature of x7 does not work for me.​
 ​
Anyone got experience?​

Do you think the Bursons (and a couple of others) would fit - or would they be too tall?

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #953 of 3,608

When I compared the standard and high power adapter, I didn't change any setting on the control panel, and used the 8 ohms setting, and I heard improvement when using the high power adapter, as described in my review.

Would be interesting to look into further.

To get the 50w x 2 it "wants" the control panel to be switched to 4ohm and the box ticked

You'd think there'd be some sort of switching happening given the options - where the power adapter wouldn't come into play or be taken advantage of unless the options were ticked.

Maybe there's not, and you'd have been getting 40w's + (or so) with the LE power adapter instead of the 38w's with the standard - thus why it sounded different.

Maybe hitting the button and changing the ohms would have improved it again - given they recommend it, there's buttons for it and they have an option to choose those speakers in the control panel?

(ignore me - my science is rusty - am only posting what entered my mind)

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #954 of 3,608

Do you think the Bursons (and a couple of others) would fit - or would they be too tall?

Bursons discrete op-amp will be too tall.

Would be interesting to look into further.

To get the 50w x 2 it "wants" the control panel to be switched to 4ohm and the box ticked

You'd think there'd be some sort of switching happening given the options - where the power adapter wouldn't come into play or be taken advantage of unless the options were ticked.

Maybe there's not, and you'd have been getting 40w's + (or so) with the LE power adapter instead of the 38w's with the standard - thus why it sounded different.

Maybe hitting the button and changing the ohms would have improved it again - given they recommend it, there's buttons for it and they have an option to choose those speakers in the control panel?

(ignore me - my science is rusty - am only posting what entered my mind)

To my understanding (I might be wrong), the switching of 4 ohms or 8 ohms is to set the low pass filter of the digital amplifier. The power amp is digital amp, the output is pulse train signal like bitstream of DSD. After low pass filter, the pulse train signal is converted to music signal. And to set the low pass filter cut off frequency, the impedance setting must be adjusted according to the impedance of the speaker.  You can read more about how digital amp works.

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #955 of 3,608
Finally got a working X7 LE after getting a bum unit from MD that had to get RMA'd. My unit's left speaker posts were outputting horrendous audio, the tinny, scratchy, echoing type. Kinda lost a lot of the cost saving from having to pay for shipping but at least it was <1 week turn around.

My current setup with the X7
PC > USB > X7LE > 2x Monitor Audio Radius 90's/Ultrasone PRO 2900/AKG K7XX
Media Player of choice: MPC:BE

Been trying to figure this out on my own but my google-fu seems to be lacking. Can the X7 virtualize 5.1 DTS/DD over usb from an MKV container to 2 speakers or headphones?
My MPC:BE settings are pretty much stock and handle all the codecs. Tried LAVFilters but couldn't tell if that was working. Playing a video file with DD and the DD indicator doesn't light up. I've also tried setting the X7 to 5.1 in the window's Sound options but I just ended up killing all the channels except for L&R (so no dialog).

I'm getting the feeling that the DD decoding is limited to OPT-IN.

I haven't gamed at all with the X7 yet since I've been trying to figure out this problem for a few days now. Probably should've researched this before purchasing but kinda thought that it'd work like my H&K receiver and be able to virtualize 5.1/7.1 DD/DTS (at least DD) down to a 2.0/2.1/3.1/headphones.

Side question, How should I set my settings for MGSV:TPP on PC?

I don't think I have ever gotten Dolby to be processed into surround from any of my devices, ever. I use the Classic Media Player. My whole life I've just succumbed to just stereo whenever I play media on my PC that isn't video games.

Theoretically, I may be able to find the easy way of doing this by sending Dolby Digital from my Xonar U3 to the X7's optical input, but then I would still need to ensure my media player is sending out Dolby Digital. Too much of a PITA, so I'll live in stereo for now.

I would guess that a DVD test would yield the best result over MKV media files.

Video games are different entirely. They will work properly as long as the speaker config is set to 5.1/7.1 and SBX's surround is on. Start the game, and it'll be good to go, though the Dolby Digital light won't turn on for games on PC.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #956 of 3,608
I don't think I have ever gotten Dolby to be processed into surround from any of my devices, ever. I use the Classic Media Player. My whole life I've just succumbed to just stereo whenever I play media on my PC that isn't video games.

Theoretically, I may be able to find the easy way of doing this by sending Dolby Digital from my Xonar U3 to the X7's optical input, but then I would still need to ensure my media player is sending out Dolby Digital. Too much of a PITA, so I'll live in stereo for now.

I would guess that a DVD test would yield the best result over MKV media files.

Video games are different entirely. They will work properly as long as the speaker config is set to 5.1/7.1 and SBX's surround is on. Start the game, and it'll be good to go, though the Dolby Digital light won't turn on for games on PC.

Pity. I wanted to avoid having to use my Xonar U1 for this. I was hoping that this would've been an all in one solution.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #958 of 3,608
From the manual:

Dolby Digital indicator
Play Dolby Digital encoded audio via Optical-In
White - Dolby Digital decoding is activated

If the computer sends it via USB isn't it already decoded (by the computer) and doesn't need to be processed by the Dolby chip on the X7?

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #959 of 3,608
  From the manual:

Dolby Digital indicator
Play Dolby Digital encoded audio via Optical-In
White - Dolby Digital decoding is activated

If the computer sends it via USB isn't it already decoded (by the computer) and doesn't need to be processed by the Dolby chip on the X7?

Good point lol. Actually downloaded a proper test file this time. MPC:BE+LAVFilters and SBX got me a pretty convincing virtual surround with headphones. It didn't do that great with a 2.0 speakers tho. If I disabled LAV and used the built in filters then the soundstage felt small like a closet but enabling it made it more like a living room. I guess I'm happy for now.

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #960 of 3,608
Why are Y'all trying to send Dolby Digital 5.1 through USB instead of decoding it in the media player and then sending 5.1 LPCM via USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back