Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jul 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #782 of 3,462
Jul 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #783 of 3,462
The difference is not the volume only. My DT 770 250 ohm on my z sounded totally different and anemic compared to when I bought my zxr. The zxr can definitely power 250 ohm cans sufficiently.

And the zxr does 50 mW into 600 ohm not 250 ohm. At 250 ohm it will deliver enough power for your DT 990. I wouldn't worry. The headphone amp in the z/zx can't put out the same power however I never had the distortion problem, that typically is a driver issue. The maxim headphone amp in the z only puts out 125 mW at 32 ohms so at 250 ohm it would definitely be below what's needed.

Best bet is to try your headphones on a different amp and see .

Why did you return the ZxR and went with the Z?

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #785 of 3,462
I didnt, I sold my Z and bought the ZXR. I initially wanted the ZXR but it was not available near me so I went with the Z to see if I liked the software studio and support for older games. Once the ZXR was available, I jumped on it.

So how is the ZxR compare to the Z? I bought the ZxR to try it out like last week. And I already returned it. And I want to try out the Z to see if the difference is huge or not much. If it's not too much, then I would keep the Z.
But since you already tried out the Z and now u been using the ZxR. Do you think there is a "huge" difference in sound quality (bass, treble, mid, clarity, ) between the two? Cause $100 difference is kinda a lot between these 2 cards.
I don't really need the ACM from the ZxR.

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #786 of 3,462
I noticed a huge difference with the zxr. Its a lot cleaner, less bloated bass and the highs don't Peirce my ears like with the z , they are smoother I guess I would say. I feel like its a more neutral sound in comparison. The z seemed warmer. Also it seems to power my DT 770's much better especially since they are 250 ohm.

But for sure the clarity was a difference. If you compare the line outs then it might be less of a difference but the headphone out on the z isn't as high in snr.

If you aren't using high quality headphones then the would be fine I guess. At the end of the day its all how u perceive the sound.

Part of me also has this ocd where I have to have the best.

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #790 of 3,462
Quote:
I noticed a huge difference with the zxr. Its a lot cleaner, less bloated bass and the highs don't Peirce my ears like with the z , they are smoother I guess I would say. I feel like its a more neutral sound in comparison. The z seemed warmer. Also it seems to power my DT 770's much better especially since they are 250 ohm.

But for sure the clarity was a difference. If you compare the line outs then it might be less of a difference but the headphone out on the z isn't as high in snr.

If you aren't using high quality headphones then the would be fine I guess. At the end of the day its all how u perceive the sound.

Part of me also has this ocd where I have to have the best.

So in your opinion is the ZXR or just keeping the ZX and getting an external amp like the Magni the better upgrade? I would think ZXR because you get the improved DAC, among other things, while with the Magni it's just an amp.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #791 of 3,462
I would definitely say zxr because at this price range will never find a better DAC/Headamp combo.  However if price is not a problem then there are way better amp, dac's out there especially if you want to build your own or mix and match.  

And if you want the gaming features and surround then zxr is really your only option right now.  Plus its 1 device neatly in your PC and you dont have to have a chain of devices or sources lying around.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #792 of 3,462
I would definitely say zxr because at this price range will never find a better DAC/Headamp combo.  However if price is not a problem then there are way better amp, dac's out there especially if you want to build your own or mix and match.  

And if you want the gaming features and surround then zxr is really your only option right now.  Plus its 1 device neatly in your PC and you dont have to have a chain of devices or sources lying around.

What DAC / Amp combo that is better than the ZxR?

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #794 of 3,462
Guys and gals, I really want to know something. If you have HD 595 or HD 598 (or something comparable when it comes to sensitivity), what is the volume level you use in windows (through headphone amp and line out)? There are few who think their cards are way too loud (including me). But since so few complain it, I want to find out if there's an issue.

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #795 of 3,462
According to the theory (http://www.head-fi.org/t/668238/headphones-sensitivity-impedance-required-v-i-p-amplifier-gain) it should be around -35 dB to -20 dB depending on what music you listen to. For ZxR you should have to subtract another 10 dB with high gain.

In Vista/7 you can open the Windows Sound control panel -> properties of your playback device -> level -> right click the slider and select decibel instead of percent.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back