Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Jan 10, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #2,656 of 3,462
Well, lately we have been getting alot of junior headfiers just wanting the easy answer.....

"whats the best headphone and amp for FPS gaming?"
"Whats the best headphone?"
"Best headphone?"
"best?"
or
"Im thinking of getting the X2 or the K712, what do you guys recommend?" (And ends up buying some portable closed back headphone and says, "wow, these sound awesome!")

And most of these people, I have not seen ever since......

Well, those junior/newbie head fi'ers are the mayflies I meant, and that's always existed (you just become more sensitive to it with time). You can't always predict when a junior head-fi'er will turn into a contributor though, or if you'll end up friends one day if you let it happen.

*scratches beard*
I'm not always (usually not) a stubborn jackass, but when I am... I drink Dos Equos (kidding).

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #2,657 of 3,462
Hmmmm Dos Equis sounds good right now....

But I just got sick, throat hurts, head hurts, coughing......

But I still enjoy my K7XX with my SB Z while Playing BF4 lol.

Question though....

You said that most users with a k712, when having it connected straight to the SB Z, run 20 to 30 percent volume in windows?

Im running 100 percent in windows and about 70 percent in bf4......

Im wondering if my K7XX are simply slightly harder to drive, defective SB Z or Im getting deaf lol

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #2,658 of 3,462
I'm troubleshooting my Aune T1's amp PCB right now so I am using the ZXR to drive my HP150s.  I had no idea how loud the ZXR is at driving headphones and I used to do this before I had the T1.  On normal gain settings I can't even get past 25% volume before it is getting in the area of damaging volumes (to your ears).  Is everyone getting this type of volume level?  My mods to the card have nothing to do with volume level.  The upgraded op-amps I guess could be louder in theory, but that isn't something I've ever heard someone say in the op-amp thread.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2,659 of 3,462
That's normal. I couldn't get past 25-28 with the HD 800.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2,660 of 3,462
With my Q701, K712, K612, HD700, Stax SR-X mkIII and SoundBlaster Z, Omni, and X7, the volume has always been set around 20-30% with all combos, unless I connect to an external amp.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,661 of 3,462
With my Q701, K712, K612, HD700, Stax SR-X mkIII and SoundBlaster Z, Omni, and X7, the volume has always been set around 20-30% with all combos, unless I connect to an external amp.

So, is something wrong with my SB Z? I have it set to 100% in windows. Its loud, but with you guys saying that 20 to 30% percents its already loud...im concerned..

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,662 of 3,462
If it's loud enough, maybe you can just enjoy it, but if it sounds weird or becomes quiet then I'd recommend using the link I found earlier to contact Creative, see what they say. Doesn't seem to be a pressing issue from what you're saying, but I'd be curious what they'd say.

Who knows, maybe mine are the unusual ones for being unusually loud? or maybe there were two "revisions" of the soundcard? Idk

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2,663 of 3,462
  Guys there is a Windows Update popping up for my ZXR.  Is this just a WHQL driver that has finally made its way to Windows Update or is this a low level driver that we should update?  Last time I tried to update my ZXR drivers I swore I'd never do it again unless there was a very good reason because it took me days to get it back to normal.  I had to try the card in probably 3 different slots and what happened was the driver install froze in the middle.  Trying to get that off and put the old one (that doesn't freeze) back on took far too long to bother with it unless we have a reason.  Basically is that just a Creative WHQL driver?

Quite a late reply but if you have not updated then here's the low-down: don't bother.

The WHQL driver is basically the EXACT SAME driver that has been around since the ASIO fix for the ZxR. That means it's been nearly 2 years. Every "new" driver from Creative since then has just resulted in a change of the date.

This has been proven many times on OCN and also by me. Creative finally got a WHQL stamp from MS, so that's why you're getting it on Windows Update.

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #2,664 of 3,462
If it's loud enough, maybe you can just enjoy it, but if it sounds weird or becomes quiet then I'd recommend using the link I found earlier to contact Creative, see what they say. Doesn't seem to be a pressing issue from what you're saying, but I'd be curious what they'd say.

Who knows, maybe mine are the unusual ones for being unusually loud? or maybe there were two "revisions" of the soundcard? Idk

Well, its quite loud. I want to say my hearing is already suffering, especially ever since all those crazy loud parties and concerts I have been to since I was 18, as well as listening to high volume or max on my phone and headphones lol. Its still plenty loud at 100% in windows and and 70% in BF4. Where it gets really loud is when Im watching youtube videos. I actually have to keep it down to like 30 percent. Spotify I keep it around 70 as well.

But when I play music thats in my PC, no streaming....its gets pretty loud as well.

But I will give them a call next week or so and see what they have to say.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #2,665 of 3,462
Well, its quite loud. I want to say my hearing is already suffering, especially ever since all those crazy loud parties and concerts I have been to since I was 18, as well as listening to high volume or max on my phone and headphones lol. Its still plenty loud at 100% in windows and and 70% in BF4. Where it gets really loud is when Im watching youtube videos. I actually have to keep it down to like 30 percent. Spotify I keep it around 70 as well.

But when I play music thats in my PC, no streaming....its gets pretty loud as well.

But I will give them a call next week or so and see what they have to say.

I don't think the soundcard is the problem, the different volumelevels of the diverse audio sources is the problem.
i.e with (DVD) movies, besides setting the volume to100%, also to use some software volume booster and/or using the volume normalizer etc.

My recon3d stay mostly at 100% volume to headamp and only when something is too loud like some youtube vids, then I decrease the in-youtube's volume control or windows volume control abit.

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,666 of 3,462

But I will give them a call next week or so and see what they have to say

I think somethings wrong with the card lol. I have the sound blaster Z and I can't pass at 35% for anything
Edit: I've used hd598, crossfade LP, LP2, and shure 750dj. 35% is super loud for all of them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back