Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR
Oct 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 3,462
So with the information we have now, do you guys think this will be a better buy, comparing it against the Titanium HD card? 

Thanks

Ozz

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 3,462
Quote:
So with the information we have now, do you guys think this will be a better buy, comparing it against the Titanium HD card?

If they're anything like the Recon3D products (which, being Sound Core3D based, they most likely are), absolutely not.

No hardware OpenAL acceleration is the big issue, along with THX TruStudio Surround-er, SBX Pro Surround (probably the same thing, just rebranded) sounding worse than CMSS-3D Headphone, no ASIO support (though I've heard they're working on that), no hardware MIDI synthesizer with SoundFont support (hey, I like my 1990s DOS games with MIDI music!)...there's just too much that's missing.

At this rate, the X-Fi Titanium HD could be Creative's last good sound card for gaming. Those who need extra analog channels can go for an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, Forte, or HomeTheater HD instead. (Maybe the Onkyo SE-300PCIE too, if it comes with the analog surround output header, but I'm not willing to pay the exorbitant price just to find out.)

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 3,462
Quote:

If they're anything like the Recon3D products (which, being Sound Core3D based, they most likely are), absolutely not.

No hardware OpenAL acceleration is the big issue, along with THX TruStudio Surround-er, SBX Pro Surround (probably the same thing, just rebranded) sounding worse than CMSS-3D Headphone, no ASIO support (though I've heard they're working on that), no hardware MIDI synthesizer with SoundFont support (hey, I like my 1990s DOS games with MIDI music!)...there's just too much that's missing.

At this rate, the X-Fi Titanium HD could be Creative's last good sound card for gaming. Those who need extra analog channels can go for an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, Forte, or HomeTheater HD instead. (Maybe the Onkyo SE-300PCIE too, if it comes with the analog surround output header, but I'm not willing to pay the exorbitant price just to find out.)

Keep in mind lack of hardware MIDI synthesizer also means audio production is impaired, but I sure do miss full DOS MIDI support too.

I agree that from the looks of things, the X-Fi Titanium HD (and the souped up Onkyo SE-300PCIE) is the best Creative soundcard available. The X-Fi powered Auzentech cards are good too, and above regular X-Fi cards, excluding the Titanium HD and Elite Pro.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 3,462
I just purchase the Titanium HD, I was hoping that the zxr will be better since it comes with replaceable opamps and maybe will have the same support as the Titanium HD but It looks like it won't have the same hardware support as the HD. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 3,462
The Titanium HD also has replaceable op-amps, you just have to remove the EMI shield to get to them.  The I/Vs take Two Dual channel op-amps and the  Two buffers  sockets take Two single channel op-amps. Don't place Two Dual channel op-amps into the X-FI Titanium HD buffers. YOu can use the default LME49710NA's thats in the buffer op-amp socket now and just change the JRcs out the I/V's socket.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 3,462
Word of warning on opamp rolling with the Titanium HD: replacing the JRCs with LME49860NAs while leaving the LME49710NAs installed results in a horribly V-shaped frequency response. Really spiked bass and treble with recessed mids. I hated it.

Other opamps may fare better, but I haven't bothered to experiment since it already sounds fine in stock configuration to me.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #22 of 3,462
Yea when I had a Titanium HD I did try that combo, I wish I didn't and i removed it quickly too. I don't fully recall what i normally used in the TI-HD PCi-e I/V socket.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #23 of 3,462
quick question on the Titanium HD, if i use the optical out of the sound card to my external dac audio-gd NFB-12 does it still uses the card dac to process the sound? or do I have to connect to the RCA outs in order to use the sound cards DAC? 

either way what will be the best way to get the best possible sound, 

1. set  PC to Titanium to NFB-12 dac by Optical out from card.

2.set PC-Titanium HD to NFB-12 dac by Optical out, then RCA out to Schiit Asgard amp and plugging the headphones to the asgard? 

2. set PC-Titanium HD to Schiit Asgard amp by RCA out of SoundCard, Never use the NFB-12 at all. 

Thanks for you guys input. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 3,462
Quote:
quick question on the Titanium HD, if i use the optical out of the sound card to my external dac audio-gd NFB-12 does it still uses the card dac to process the sound? or do I have to connect to the RCA outs in order to use the sound cards DAC? 

either way what will be the best way to get the best possible sound, 

1. set  PC to Titanium to NFB-12 dac by Optical out from card.

2.set PC-Titanium HD to NFB-12 dac by Optical out, then RCA out to Schiit Asgard amp and plugging the headphones to the asgard? 

2. set PC-Titanium HD to Schiit Asgard amp by RCA out of SoundCard, Never use the NFB-12 at all. 

Thanks for you guys input. 

The whole point of digital audio interfaces like S/PDIF is to transmit the audio signal to an outboard DAC.

If you want to use the NFB-12 DAC, you can save yourself quite a bit of money by going with a refurb X-Fi Titanium for $40-45 on Newegg. Still has just about all of the gaming audio features, and the lesser analog output quality isn't an issue when you're using S/PDIF anyway.

On the other hand, if you think you might sell the NFB-12 down the road, then the Titanium HD will be more than competent as a DAC.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 3,462
 I would say if you already have a NFB-12, and thinking about getting a titanium HD dont get it. Just use your motherboard optical out into the NFB-12. Now if you want the gaming features just get a cheap Xtreme gamer and use the optical from that. That way you have both worlds.  I know the Titanium HD is a great card I had one my self.  But in this case I would personally keep the NFB-12 if I was you, then do what I mention with a cheap X-FI Xtreme gamer.  Because CMSS3D headphone does work thru Digital as I tried it with the Xtreme Gamer optical out. Before some one ask why I have a DG into my NFB-12 and not my onboard. The VIA audio drivers has a glitch where Digital out outputs at 50% volume. Other wise I would be using onboard spdif out into it.

But if you already have a Titanium HD i would suggest selling that instead, because it be a waste to use it thru optical with how much that card cost. Since it will be used  as a digital transport into the NFB-12.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #26 of 3,462
so is fared to say, use it with per say schiit Asgard, by using the RCA out of the card directly plug it to the asgard. will sound  better? 

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #28 of 3,462
Quote:
If you're using the Titanium HD as the DAC, then yes, you want to use the RCA-outs into a headphone amp. That's what I do with my Stax setup.

Ok that sounds like a plan, Unfortunately I bought the card, schiit asgard, the NFB-12 came in bundle with my HD800, I was looking for a good setup for my headset, I think you are right I will sell the NFB-12 and use the Titanium HD + Asgard amp as my setup, I do a lot of CPU gaming, Wolf of warcraft, Crysis, WarHammer 40K etc, so i do need the sound card.

Since using the titanium by the optical makes the gaming part useless then I will use it with the RCA out to my Asgard when it gets here. It should sound good with my HD 800

Thanks.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #29 of 3,462
Quote:
Ok that sounds like a plan, Unfortunately I bought the card, Schiit Asgard, the NFB-12 came in bundle with my HD800, I was looking for a good setup for my headset, I think you are right I will sell the NFB-12 and use the Titanium HD + Asgard amp as my setup, I do a lot of CPU gaming, Wolf of warcraft, Crysis, WarHammer 40K etc, so i do need the sound card.

Since using the Titanium HD by the optical makes the gaming part useless then I will use it with the RCA out to my Asgard when it gets here. It should sound good with my HD 800

You can plug the NFB-12 into the Titanium's S/PDIF optical port and try the NFB-12, as the Titanium HD supports gaming features (like headphone surround sound) thru S/PDIF output.
You can then sell off the NFB-12 at anytime in the future.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #30 of 3,462
Quote:
Ok that sounds like a plan, Unfortunately I bought the card, schiit asgard, the NFB-12 came in bundle with my HD800, I was looking for a good setup for my headset, I think you are right I will sell the NFB-12 and use the Titanium HD + Asgard amp as my setup, I do a lot of CPU gaming, Wolf of warcraft, Crysis, WarHammer 40K etc, so i do need the sound card.

Since using the titanium by the optical makes the gaming part useless then I will use it with the RCA out to my Asgard when it gets here. It should sound good with my HD 800

Thanks.

The Titanium HD has a solid DAC, and you will enjoy its analog output through the RCAs to the Asgard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back