Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Nov 17, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,081 of 2,345

Cool deal. Definitely ordering one, just looking for the best deal. How is the sound quality using Bluetooth from IPhone? I use my IPhone 6 to stream music through my car stereo and don't notice a drop in quality when connected directly through the AUX cable. I know Apple doesn't support ATX tech so was just curious if you had any light to shed.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #1,082 of 2,345
SQ via BT is better than iPhone but not as good as the USB connection. It is closer than the other BT-enabled DAC/Amp I tried, though.

Honestly, my main reservation about connecting via BT was that previously you couldn't control EQ & SBX settings. Now that you can do that, I'd probably just go for the USB connection for all non-critical listening.

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,084 of 2,345
SQ via BT is better than iPhone but not as good as the USB connection. It is closer than the other BT-enabled DAC/Amp I tried, though.

Honestly, my main reservation about connecting via BT was that previously you couldn't control EQ & SBX settings. Now that you can do that, I'd probably just go for the USB connection for all non-critical listening.

Foregoing the wire, regardless of length really rocks. I'm in agreement, all non-critical listening will be via BT.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #1,085 of 2,345
Love using the E5 on the go via BT. The unit sits in the backpack while the phone is free of wires allowing me to browse or chat while streaming Spotify. Paired with an aptX device like G4 the sound is not half bad for a mobile solution. It does a great job driving my Oppo PM3

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,086 of 2,345
Hey all. I'm looking for an amp to use with my S5, and this one interests me. I am an unapologetic basshead too. So, I need to know, with the app and SBX, can you make this thump? I tried downloading the app, but I need a unit to connect to before I can do anything.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #1,087 of 2,345
Hey all. I'm looking for an amp to use with my S5, and this one interests me. I am an unapologetic basshead too. So, I need to know, with the app and SBX, can you make this thump? I tried downloading the app, but I need a unit to connect to before I can do anything.

With SBX, it gets pretty bassy, plus you could further tweak the output using the app.
But it is too much bass for me, normally use it just with low gain (personal preference).

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,090 of 2,345
Thanks. Anyone else? I might have to give it a go.

I use the E5 mainly with my computer and a JDS Labs C5D for my phone, is it's much smaller and portable. Of course the E5 has many more features.

I use the E5 mostly with no EQ or SBX activated and find it delivers good bass like that. In fact it delivers just a bit less bass than my C5D with the +3 dB bass boost on (I always have it like this as I find it too flat without the bass boost). The C5D also has a +6 dB bass boot, that I usually don't use, except sometimes with my SE530s IEM, as they can benefit from it  at times (normally +3 is plenty).

I for me adding bass with the EQ and SBX doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me, so I just leave it off so I get unmolested audio and I find the bass sufficient, even with my SE530s.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,091 of 2,345
@ZMan2k2: You can use either EQ or SBX or both to modify bass response. EQ option is pretty straightforward. SBX allows you to specify a cutoff frequency, so you can avoid too much mid/upper bass bloat and just focus on sub bass if desired. It's pretty cool, actually!
L3000.gif

Thanks for the detailed info on the inner workings of the program.  I watched a few Youtube vids, but none of them went too deep into the programming.  Sounds like something I might give a go.  Just have to wait for my return of the E18 to go through to Amazon, then I'll probably order one of these.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,092 of 2,345
Upgrade your firmware. That will correct the problem. I did it last week and now I can tweak away via BT.

Dang it, I hate to eat my words but here goes.

Immediately after firmware update I was able to access SBX and EQ via BT connection on my iPhone 6, that hasn't changed.

Connected via BT today to my iPad 2, with intention to try out the Dialog switch on a movie, which is part of SBX tweaks. SB Central would not give me access to SBX and EQ settings, the same problem I thought was fixed in the firmware update.

Flipped the BT connection away from the iPad and back to iPhone, opened SB Central on the phone and bingo! SBX was available via BT on the iPhone.

To me this makes no sense. The versions of SB Central on the two devices are identical. iOS versions are also the same. How can this be??

I'm stumped!

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,094 of 2,345
I am not a MAC guy, but when I deploy Win software, all versions of Win10 for example are packaged in the same installer. However, the software installed from that package for a Win10 tablet is very different from what is installed on a Win10 phone. The OS's for both devices are very different and require different drivers, DLL's etc.

I am pretty sure the same applies for Apple software.

Cheers 

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,095 of 2,345
 My review is finally up here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sound-blaster-e5-24-bit-192khz-high-resolution-usb-dac-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/14551.   
Thank you @LucasCL again for this opportunity. Again, sorry for the late posting. I've had a overseas trip, after which work was so crazy I kinda just hit the sack after getting home, for almost 2 weeks. Together with the multiple editing I did.........

Still, any and all comments/feedbacks from everyone will be very welcome.
Its my first review for a source afterall, and only my 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back