Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG + Toslink + aptX + recording + more.
Aug 29, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #16 of 2,345
Good questions. Not very sure though. I didn't have time to try the different output variations

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #17 of 2,345
Does the E5 DAC works if I connect the source via bluetooth?
say from Xperia z--->bluetooth--->E5--->IEM

Will there be a difference in sound quality between the bluetooth connection and usb connection?

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #18 of 2,345
the DAC has to work. bluetooth gives out a digital signal, so any bluetooth device needs their own DAC to convert the signal to analogue.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #19 of 2,345
Yes.

Tried it with my iPhone -> bluetooth -> E5 -> JH13s. Also plugged in my iPhone through the lightning for direct digital out but that requires their iOS app.

Can't really comment on the sound too much because of the extremely noisy show conditions (I'd say easily 80+ dB background noise) but no obvious flaws that's for sure, it sounded quite decent.

Also tried my Mac with it to power a pair of Alpha Dogs, it struggled at low gain but was fine at high gain around 60% volume level. Was definitely listening at a much higher volume than normal because of the background noise, so I can report that it shouldn't have a problem powering insensitive orthos.

Other things:

The E5 seems to use a digital stepped attenuator for volume control. Turning the volume knob also changes the system volume of whatever source you're using it with. Didn't hear any channel imbalance.

You can use the E5 as an audio input device for iPads/PCs/Macs using the 3 mics or the line in function which has a pretty decent ADC. So in a pinch it can work as a 2-channel or so audio interface.

If you're from Singapore and you register your interest on the Creative E5 site this weekend you will be allowed to preorder it at S$199. That's ridiculous value considering the feature set, even if the sound quality is only average for the price. Something like that would easily be listed at 2-3 times the price if it was some other audiophile brand's. I've put my name down for one. It's almost too good to pass up on.

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 2,345
  Does the E5 DAC works if I connect the source via bluetooth?
say from Xperia z--->bluetooth--->E5--->IEM

Will there be a difference in sound quality between the bluetooth connection and usb connection?

Yes, that will work. That's how I was using the Creative E3 that last few days.

There might be a slight difference in SQ. Even though E5 support aptX, it is still not a completely lossless codec and it is equal to 16/44.1. However, the difference should be very small and even unnoticeable.

the DAC has to work. bluetooth gives out a digital signal, so any bluetooth device needs their own DAC to convert the signal to analogue.

Many Bluetooth chip actually has internal DAC as well as supporting external DAC chip. That why some of the cheap Bluetooth headset doesn't sound that great, as they rely on the internal DAC which isn't particularly good.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 2,345
I'm so getting this for portable amp if it's good 
biggrin.gif

Is the e3 ios compatible as well?

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #23 of 2,345
  I'm so getting this for portable amp if it's good 
biggrin.gif

Is the e3 ios compatible as well?

Don't have anything that run on iOS7, but according to Creative - yes.

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 2,345
@ClieOS that is why i was interested when i heard it had bluetooth. I did not buy bluetooth cans due to lousy internal DACs

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 2,345
How is the E5 going to drive low impedace iem like the Shure SE846?

Thanks

Until we can determine its output impedance, I don't think anyone can answer you question.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #29 of 2,345

Creative just launch a desktop amp the Sound Blaster X7.
You should try that too!
tongue_smile.gif

Yep, just got the press release of X7, already make a separated thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/733113/creative-sound-blaster-x7-announced-all-in-one-desktop-dac-adc-with-headphone-speaker-amp

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #30 of 2,345
I am waiting for this one too. Wrote the SB USA to ask if they had a mailing notification once this becomes available to the USA, but they said they do not have one, and to check the web site.
Incredible value, assuming good sound, given all the connectivity options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back