Creative EP-630 vs. EP-640:
Apr 23, 2008 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Any advantages with getting the 640?
Ive always loved the 630, but they consistently break on me due to the weak connection at the jack (one of the channels blows)
Anyone know if theyve solved this problem with the newer model?
Any general enhancements?

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Actually I believe the EP-640 is just the EP-630 with a different colour and a different cable style (worn behind the neck)... it irritated me to no end, so if I were you I'd get another pair of EP-630 or upgrade to something else...

(that's what I did, ended up with the Mylars, and now, the SF5EB.)

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you like this style of earbud you might want to consider http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/pic...ts-re2-312513/

I've got the ep630s and I think they're great for the price, but there are many better options out there in terms of sound and build quality.

For me, a 75Ohm resistor cable has done wonders for the 630s out of a Cowon D2...so I still use them a lot.

What is a resistor cable?

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just replace the jack with something more durable?

I have no idea how to replace a jack.
The jack works fine-its the connection to the top of the jack that is super flimsy.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 9
It is the jacks fault, it provides poor stress relief. Snipping off that jack, stripping the wires and soldering on a new jack would take care of it. Do you have any experience with soldering or wire stripping?

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is the jacks fault, it provides poor stress relief. Snipping off that jack, stripping the wires and soldering on a new jack would take care of it. Do you have any experience with soldering or wire stripping?

Unfortunately no.
I was thinking about just buying a new pair and maybe modifying a brand new pair so that I can somehow avoid this problem in the future.
Any suggestions?

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately no.
I was thinking about just buying a new pair and maybe modifying a brand new pair so that I can somehow avoid this problem in the future.
Any suggestions?

you can just mod your spoilt pair - if you can solder - and then the problem is avoided once again.

or try looking for a friend who solders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back