Creative Aurvana Live!
Jan 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:
Don't own the Cals' (Son does) but being an owner of the D1000's (same driver).  I still don't understand the hype the M50 fanboys have, these $60 cans sound SO much better then the M50's.  I do agree they need a re-cable I added a D2000 to my 1000's and it was night and day. I'm also not a big believer in Burn -in ect. But I will say it happens with these Bio-Cell drivers as it has a layer of membranes that actually change shape after long usage.  I have 1000's of hours of use on my Denon's and they sound better then anything I've heard under $200 smackers.  They are every bit 90% of the D-2000's which I've owned until they crapped out on me.  The 1000's still going strong since 2009.
If you are on a budget of $150 or less it's really a non brainer on the Cal's.  
(Even tho I'm digging the HD439's I just picked up :)

Hey, how do you compare the HD439 against the CAL!?

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Hey, how do you compare the HD439 against the CAL!?

Not even close, The Denon AHD-1000/01/Cal is my favorite headphone ever.  They are far from being " The Best" but they just have that "Something" about them.  It is the perfect sound sig for me.  Slightly V-shape, but sound very natural.  The Bass has the perfect impact, the mids are nice and warm, and the treble has just the perfect sparkle.  And a decent soundstage as well.
The 439 is great as well. Totally different but still great.  Less Bass/Treble. It's more of a Mid based headphone.  Great comfort..
For me the two complement each other.  The Cal is the better All-Rounder as mostly all Genre's work well on it, the Senns I use for mainly Unplugged type music...It has a tad better mid range timber.   Both phones are good but if I had to pick one, No Doubt it would be the CaL, But the Senn will make you happy as well!!!

Just look at these beauty's

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #36 of 59
Quote:
Not even close, The Denon AHD-1000/01/Cal is my favorite headphone ever.  They are far from being " The Best" but they just have that "Something" about them.  It is the perfect sound sig for me.  Slightly V-shape, but sound very natural.  The Bass has the perfect impact, the mids are nice and warm, and the treble has just the perfect sparkle.  And a decent soundstage as well.
The 439 is great as well. Totally different but still great.  Less Bass/Treble. It's more of a Mid based headphone.  Great comfort..
For me the two complement each other.  The Cal is the better All-Rounder as mostly all Genre's work well on it, the Senns I use for mainly Unplugged type music...It has a tad better mid range timber.   Both phones are good but if I had to pick one, No Doubt it would be the CaL, But the Senn will make you happy as well!!!

Just look at these beauty's

Very nice! why did you sold your M50?

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:
Very nice! why did you sold your M50?

I hated the M50's Really.  I bought them a few years ago before all the Hype really took off.  I paid I think $95 for them new?  They just don't sound good too me, Yeah they have Bass but it's uncontrolled and the Mids are to sucked out. Plus the Treble can be grating and really harsh, and no real soundstage. Comfort also is pretty bad, for me at least.
The Denon/Cal just do everything better.  I'd never recommend them, Even at $100 there is better for cheaper.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:
I hated the M50's Really.  I bought them a few years ago before all the Hype really took off.  I paid I think $95 for them new?  They just don't sound good too me, Yeah they have Bass but it's uncontrolled and the Mids are to sucked out. Plus the Treble can be grating and really harsh, and no real soundstage. Comfort also is pretty bad, for me at least.
The Denon/Cal just do everything better.  I'd never recommend them, Even at $100 there is better for cheaper.

Why I wanted a CAL!/Denon was because many who owns and like their higher-end headphones still keep or enjoy their CAL!/Denon that's something real special about them. Therefore, I want one for myself too even I have never listen to them before.

As for M50, I am not sure... some people like them so much and some didn't. It is one of the headphones that has 2 big extremes camp.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #39 of 59
I'm thinking about picking these up, it sounds like they're a good deal. I can get them locally for 67$. Comfort is my main priority, are they as comfortable as, say, the HD650, do they clamp much, and can the clamp be adjusted?

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #40 of 59
Quote:
I'm thinking about picking these up, it sounds like they're a good deal. I can get them locally for 67$. Comfort is my main priority, are they as comfortable as, say, the HD650, do they clamp much, and can the clamp be adjusted?

Maybe not as comfortable as an HD650, but I can wear them all day w/o any discomfort. The only thing that I find uncomfortable about them, and I'm probably the only one that experiences this: they are extremely uncomfortable when in bed, laying down. I don't know what it is about them, but they contort my neck in a way that, when I wake up and for a few hours after my neck is stiff/hurts... Take that for what you will.

I love my D1001 and will never part with them. Comparable to cans two to three times the asking price.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #43 of 59
I just picked the CALs last week.  I have middle of the road sized ears and they fit the CALs fine.  There isn't much room to spare though.  They are very light and comfortable.  Watched a movie on the SyFy channel last night and didn't have any discomfort at all.

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #44 of 59
Have any of you guys had to send in your CAL's for repairs? And if so, how did they deal with them? Creative is one of only two companies that I've decided not to buy from because of their horrendous customer service. They won't even talk to you on the phone if you're out of their warranty period. But that was a few years ago; I don't know if they've improved since then.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #45 of 59
Got the CAL's today. Very yummi sound! They're smaller that I would have liked, but that's ok, they fit my ears fine, they're very comfortable and light. Very good isolation too, that's a big plus. I like the ear pads, nice soft material. The build quality seems good, except for the flimsy cable, they look slick and shiny.

The sound is clear, and the highs are nice and crispy. Very nice actually. Maybe the mid range could be a bit more forward, and the bass could be more powerful, but it's fine as it is. Kate Bush sounds sweet on them, what I'm noticing is that the cymbals and vocals sound very sweet. Right now I'm using them out of the Anedio D1, and the pairing is sublime. These will replace my Panasonic HTF600 as my portable phone, but I'll use them equally much at home too I think. The Pana's have a little bigger sound (and darker tuning), probably due to their 50mm drivers, but these CAL's have overall better sound quality. They should too, they're more than twice the price.  

On to listen to some more tracks... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back