Creative Audigy 2 ZS or E-MU 0202?
Feb 9, 2008 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pomme de terre

100+ Head-Fier
Mainly for use as an external soundcard for my laptop (I dont do much video editing), is the Audigy 2 ZS worth investing in? Or should I be looking more into the E-MU 0202 which seems more dedicated for audio

Im also hoping to be able to convert some old vinyls into digital (MP3 probably) format with this, and Im not quite sure if either can do it. But Im assuming if they are capable of converting from analogue to digital, I would hook up the turntable to a preamp first, then into the soundcard... correct?

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 9
uh, for a laptop, you can't get the PCI versions of those cards

theres an Audigy for notebooks, which is kind of a joke (and don't even get me started on the Extigy)

and theres the E-MU 0404 USB and 0202 USB, both of which are good options for a laptop, but won't really step into video games (other than that, they're good options)

as far as connecting a turntable, it depends on the interface you buy, some of E-MU's interfaces have a RIAA pre-amp onboard, some of them don't, generally if your device accepts line-level, you go from turntable -> pre -> line-level, if your device has a pre, you go from the turntable -> device

also, if you're going into TRS from stereo RCA, make sure you get good quality cabling, this isn't me going "omg, get teh audiophile cables, they make a difference" (srsly, $1 million to anyone who can prove this, scientifically, and nobody's claimed it, I say its bunk)

I say get good qual cables so the cables will last, esp TRS, and so they're insulated properly and what not (theres a difference between crap cabling, good cabling, and spending too much)

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 9
I dont think PCI is a necessity to work with a laptop. The EMU 0202 will work just fine. The only drawback with the 0404 is that it uses a power outlet and not USB.

And as for Audigy ZS, I think the 0202 is a better bet.

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
especially given that Creative never seems to have good luck with external/portable audio cards (yet their PCI cards are always among the best)

I used Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA before I got my E-MU 1616.
Not sure if PCMCIA qualifies as external or internal or whether you have PCMCIA slot. E-Mu cards are much better suited for recording, but Audigy 2ZS was way better for gaming in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back