Creating a Stax Lambda system?
Nov 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

leicamaster

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

At the recent Head-Fi meetup in CT for the NYC area I tested ESL-1's Stax system -- he brought a pair of Sigmas and Lambdas that sounded INCREDIBLE. I became enamored by the electrostatic system. I want to set up a Stax system myself for, preferably, under $600 or so. I've heard good things of the normal bias Lambdas, and they are in my budget, but am a bit confused with all the details related to driving them. So, couple questions:

1. Is it cheaper to set up a system using a transformer or a dedicated Stax amp/energizer? Which will sound better for the money?

2. If I were to set up my system using a transformer like the SRD7, what type of amp would I need? I have a two-channel system at home, but have recently moved to a NYC dorm so the massive Adcom and Conrad Johnson remain at my parent's house. What would be a good place to start?

Hope this isn't too broad...

EDIT: Also, what I have right now with me as far as an amp goes is a Benchmark DAC 1. I would also like to integrate the DAC into the Stax system. Could that be used as a preamp if I let's say got an Adcom GFA 535 and a SRD7?

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 5
1 - Amp/Energizer is a great start, especially if you already own an integrated amp.

2 - You'd need an integrated amp. The better the amp, the better the sound of your system. 

There's just so much you can get out of a Stax amp, assuming something in your stated budget. If you already own a good integrated amp, you'll get that sound onto the Stax.

The Adcom is fine.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 5
So what I'm thinking is getting the Adcom GFA 535 -- I've seen them go for cheap -- and then using my Benchmark DAC 1 as the preamp + DAC, and then using the transformer like the SRD7 to plug in the Lambdas. Would this work well?

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 5
I think you're all set. At home that rig is going to sound really great. Those Lambdas have one of the best mids in the game... not too bad for a '72 model 
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Leicamaster,

Glad you enjoyed the Sigma and Lambda Pro at my display table. I actually like my standard bias Lambda better than the Lambda Pro but the SR407 Signsture better than both. The energizer/-amp combo is a good way to go and also probably keep it more economical. I woukd shy away from an Adcom GFA 535 as it leans towards a bright sound which is certainly not what you want to match to most Stax phones. An NAD with it's smoother signature would mate better in my opinion (I used to be a dealer for both). Pricing should be along similar lines. Right now I have a 30 wpc NAD that I sometimes use for my AKG K1000 and it works well for such a low cost option.

There has been a standard bias SRD7 for sale on eBay recenty for $99, it has relisted a couple of times. There was a fellow at the show who had a pro bias version for $150, I can try to track him down if you like, I think his name was Dave, I purchased a Stax extension cord with the Pro bias pin configuration.

Keep in touch if you have any other questions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back