Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 2, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #7,726 of 12,347
Whohooooooo~ I have just finished building my crack + speedball this morning. And it sounds aweeeessoommeeeee!! :atsmile:

Highs are crystal clear, mids are sweet, and bass, oh the bass is sooo tight and warm. Soundstage is, too, amazing. Feels like listening to a live concert :D . My HD600 has never sounded this good before.

Is it weird if I enjoy looking at my crack? I smile every time I flip the chassis over, maybe somewhat proud that I have built this baby with my own hands.. :p

whooooohooooo, beautiful!!!

Is this build going to take more wire to build? I am asking the question because I want to use some left-over wire to set up the fly leads for the cap upgrade. Not sure if this customized build would leave me with enough wire for the fly leads?

Thanks a lot!

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #7,728 of 12,347
Guys my crack started to make a hissing noise on both channels ( first start with right, 1 second later left) right after 10 seconds of turning it on. It was fine pretty much the entire time until this time a power outtage that's like a split second took in, but nothing got turned off. But then my crack started to hiss like white noise playing. I change power outlet, tapping it, RCA cables... still there. I need help :frowning2:

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #7,731 of 12,347
Finished my Crack.  Haven't done the speedball upgrade yet, am running the Tung Sol 5998. I can say it compares favorably with my HDVA600. Using both the HD600 and HD800.  It's not quite as detailed but it certainly brought that tube magic back into my life. For the HD600 I'd buy the Crack over the HDVA for the HD800, well it looses some of the imaging and mirco detail, but still a wonderful amp.

Backed by a Schiit Gumby.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #7,732 of 12,347
Just a heads up I noticed a seller on ebay has a bunch of 7236 Cetrons for a fair price, just picked a couple myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172228954065

From the Multi 6as7g review

"II.a.iii) [RARE] $75 (NOS) Cetron/Tung Sol 7236 [Dual Halo Getters]:

The 7236 is a computer rated 5998A but should sonically sound similar to the 5998. This specific 7236 has zirconium coated grey box plates. Similar to the 5998 sound abeit more linear, tighter bass and more dynamic. Basically a "faster and controlled" 5998 but at the expense that the bass doesn't go as deep. This tube is glorious listening to vocals and is probably the most controlled and "best" mid-centric tube of the 5998 pack.

II.b) The Bendix 6080WB Graphite Plates
Unlike all other 6AS7 tube types, these had solid graphite COLUMNS and not plates and are very heavy duty. They have ruggedized construction features such as extra supports and copper posts not found on other 6080 tubes. Regardless of branding, these were all manufactured by Bendix. These are a really good buy and an excellent alternative to the 5998"

http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #7,733 of 12,347
Thanks for the heads up, order a couple too, should make a good step up from the stock one with my hd700 (as I understand, the 5998 is better with lower impedance HP).

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #7,734 of 12,347
  Finished some upgrades today!

Prolonged listening last night made me realize the C-7X choke gives an improvement in detail, and the sound has a brighter signature compared to the stock resistor it replaced. Seems similar to the changes a Tung-Sol 5998 makes compared to the sound of the Sylvania GB6080 and RCA 6AS7G. Also, before, when the volume pot was maxed -- without music -- there was some hum and scratchiness, and now, with the C-7X, it's gone. No music and maxed volume makes me imagine I'm wearing a lab coat in a clean room. I'm happy with this new horizon of clear and clinical sound, but I kept thinking and hoping for nightfall and tomorrow, as I imagined my Audyn film caps being loaded into the local USPS truck. I've been using Mallory 100uF electrolytics, though I couldn't tell a difference from the stock caps.

And here we have another new day! I got my Audyn (Q4 68uF 400V) caps! :)

OUTPUT CAPS: I've read from others saying they might have noticed a difference with their new film output caps but, for me, these caps made an obvious difference in tone, smoothness, and body. I can turn up the volume higher and it doesn't get as harsh and mechanical sounding as before. Highs are still far-reaching and clear but now have a purity and roundness in their demeanor. Sounds very high class. Notes come and go with poise.

LAST PS CAP: The third Audyn cap in the last PS cap position reinforces the output positions' smoothness, purity, and poise. I'm very, very happy. This is less obvious, but it seems there's more weight to the sound.

MORE NOTES WHILE LISTENING:
- Tube rolling, for me, is no longer as important as before. I can live with any of my tubes really, but my favorite 6SN7s of course make it that much better.
- I keep thinking about how poised the notes present themselves as they fall into place one after another. It's like they discussed the game plan of each song and movie soundtrack and have practiced their execution unendingly. I keep signaling each note's landing by waving my hand in the air and swooning like a conductor.
- During research, before hitting the "submit order" button, I really hoped there wouldn't be any downgrade with 68uF caps in place of 100uF ones. And there is none. The fact that it's a film cap is the important factor here -- as is my using 600ohm AKGs. In fact, bass is more forceful with the 68uF Audyn's, and reaches deeper. Also, bass lines are noticeably more distinct as are the other instruments and voices. So I can focus on one instrument or vocal but I'm not forced to -- meaning the sound is still coherent and musical, it's not matter-of-fact and strident like Christopher Hitchens at his best. It's classy and honest, always seeming to beautifully deliver the right answer ...like Christopher Hitchens at his best.
- I remember reading someone else's impression that film caps take away hash and glare (or schreechiness) from the treble, and I would agree; that's another way to explain what I said was smoothness and purity in the sound.
- Overall, I'm very happy! Here are some pictures! Cheers and happy listening!

How much did u pay for those caps?

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #7,735 of 12,347
  Just a heads up I noticed a seller on ebay has a bunch of 7236 Cetrons for a fair price, just picked a couple myself

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172228954065

From the Multi 6as7g review

"II.a.iii) [RARE] $75 (NOS) Cetron/Tung Sol 7236 [Dual Halo Getters]:

The 7236 is a computer rated 5998A but should sonically sound similar to the 5998. This specific 7236 has zirconium coated grey box plates. Similar to the 5998 sound abeit more linear, tighter bass and more dynamic. Basically a "faster and controlled" 5998 but at the expense that the bass doesn't go as deep. This tube is glorious listening to vocals and is probably the most controlled and "best" mid-centric tube of the 5998 pack.

II.b) The Bendix 6080WB Graphite Plates
Unlike all other 6AS7 tube types, these had solid graphite COLUMNS and not plates and are very heavy duty. They have ruggedized construction features such as extra supports and copper posts not found on other 6080 tubes. Regardless of branding, these were all manufactured by Bendix. These are a really good buy and an excellent alternative to the 5998"

How would this compare to rayethon 6080wb's which i'm running? Would i get a notable difference?

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #7,737 of 12,347

How would this compare to rayethon 6080wb's which i'm running? Would i get a notable difference?

Hi have a read through the Multi 6as7g review all the info you will ever need on the top tubes for the Crack are in it.

The review is clear that the 7236 has similarities to the premium 5998 and it is listed just ahead of the hard to find Bendix 6080 slotted plates both are highly sought after for their sonic presentation and because of this generally cost around three times the price the 7236 are being offer at.

I would expect you would notice a difference switching from the Rayethorn but obviously it will depend on what your personal preferences are as to if you like those differences. Try asking for some opinions over on the 6as7g rolling thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/410326/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here/3615#post_12634863

Multi 6as7g review

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #7,739 of 12,347
Pictures of my recent build. . .

Underside, currently stock.

Top looks black, but isn't really.  It's Rustoleum Universal Metallic Oil-Rubbed Bronze.  Pretty easy to apply - satisfied with that.  A little sparkly at the right angles.

With tubes: Tung Sol 5998 and Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7.  Have the stock '72 Sylvania 6080 that shipped with the unit, as well as the stock Electro Harmonix 12AU7, plus another Amperex Voice of Music 12AU7 as well as a McIntosh by RCA 12BH7 tube, which I haven't tried yet.  

Not really satisfied with the wood finish.  Would try wood conditioner next time to smooth out the staining, and tape the edges where the glue could overflow and touch since that affects stain absorption.  Used Varithane stain (red chestnut) and glossy polyurethane finish.  It was hard to tell how much poly finish was going on with the spray - would get liquid next time and apply with brush.

Speedball will be added later.  No plans for other upgrades or tubes at the moment.

Sounds really great with DT880/600's on most tracks - some sound a little trebly/harsh (due to recording).  May pick up some HD600's to smooth out those harsher recordings.

Very happy so far with amp.  Haven't done a huge amount of comparative listening against my HiFiMan EF5 - both sound really good, but I do think there are some differences.  Just haven't had time to do a really good comparison yet.

really like the paint on the top. what is the paint? where can i find it? thanks a lot

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #7,740 of 12,347
really like the paint on the top. what is the paint? where can i find it? thanks a lot

Thanks! It's Rustoleum Universal Metallic Oil-Rubbed Bronze. I got it at Ace Hardware, but I'm sure Home Depot or Lowe's has it too.

If you can't find it, I can take a pic of the spray can - I think I still have it a around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back