Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #5,761 of 12,347
T

Yes you can roll both tubes probably a good start would be to sort out you dac before spending out on a heap of tubes .

Here is a link to  Bottleheads Crack tube rolling thread, if it can run in a crack its most probably in the thread you might come across a description of the perfect combination for you

have fun

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,663.0.html

Thanks planning to buy the modi in a few days .. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5,762 of 12,347
 I did these MOD for the headphone jack and some of the voltage readings went up 10V and some down 3V from my previous voltage reading.Is this normal for this MOD?Thanks!
crackv.jpg

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5,763 of 12,347

The Crack amp excels with high impedance headphones (>300 ohm).

Right now I can still choose which headphones to use. 
So, the basis is Crack + SB. 
As for headphones I could afford some in the price range 500€, where Beyerdynamic T90 and Sennheiser HD700 are. 
Are there any other better headphones within this price range? 
And which headphones would sound best with Crack? (exclude HD800, it costs 1200€ new)

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #5,764 of 12,347
 My Crack is dead quiet from the beginning i don't think you can judge the tube just like that,For example i have this Chatham 6AS7G that have a slight Hum but if i plug it in the crack it's quiet.IMO you need to check the amp maybe some loose connection/cold solder wire routing. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #5,766 of 12,347

Oh that should not even be an option, IMO. You SHOULD install it.

O.k I couldn't help it and I glad I did, everything is just better !
The highs are more crisp maybe too crisp? especially in electronic music maybe, I can't decide yet if its bad or good :O

Hi,
  After you did the headphone jack mod did you do a voltage reading and did you noticed any voltage changes from the previous reading you have.Mine some went up 10V and some went down 3V.Thanks!

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #5,768 of 12,347
I rolled a Tung Sol 5998 into my Crack, amazing clarity and frequency extension. The treble was a little to crisp for my tastes, however either my ears are adjusting slowly or the tube is breaking in, for it's getting better.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #5,769 of 12,347
As for headphones I could afford some in the price range 500€, where Beyerdynamic T90 and Sennheiser HD700 are. 
And which headphones would sound best with Crack? (exclude HD800, it costs 1200€ new)

Personally I would look at one of the 600 ohm Beyers or high impedance Sennheisers. I wasn't a fan of the 700 personally and not for OTLs.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #5,770 of 12,347

The Beyer T1's pair very well the Crack and will also continue to scale should you decide to go down the Cracks upgrade path  in the future. My HD650's have been gathering dust for some time now. They often come up now discounted around £550 new on the site we publicly must not mention and sometimes Amazon runs promotion deals but they only seem to last a few hours so it can be worth checking regularly. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #5,771 of 12,347
  Hi,
  After you did the headphone jack mod did you do a voltage reading and did you noticed any voltage changes from the previous reading you have.Mine some went up 10V and some went down 3V.Thanks!

I did noticed some voltage changes in some readings, didn't write it down so I didn't remember but all were very slight around 1-2 V, and as far as I know as long its in the 10-15% range its ok, the only drastic change was that terminals 6 and 10 are now grounded and in the resistance test the result is 0.

Quote:

May I know why Modi?

My 2 candidates were Modi vs ODAC, after reading and asking quite a lot about them I decided it that I might not like how the ODAC sound, I like the modi's looks and price, the crack build and the headphone emptied me from cash :) 
I can see in your signature you have the Modi, are you asking that because you don't like what you got? 
Mostly 

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5,772 of 12,347

I did noticed some voltage changes in some readings, didn't write it down so I didn't remember but all were very slight around 1-2 V, and as far as I know as long its in the 10-15% range its ok, the only drastic change was that terminals 6 and 10 are now grounded and in the resistance test the result is 0.

Quote:
My 2 candidates were Modi vs ODAC, after reading and asking quite a lot about them I decided it that I might not like how the ODAC sound, I like the modi's looks and price, the crack build and the headphone emptied me from cash :) 
I can see in your signature you have the Modi, are you asking that because you don't like what you got? 
Mostly 

I don't know what is your sound preferences but I would pick ODAC anytime. Modi is a good DAC for it's price but IMO ODAC is better. I did post about my impressions for these two DAC few pages back. But I damn agree Modi looks better than ODAC.

BTW, I understand how your wallet become thin in short time. Lol...

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #5,773 of 12,347

IMO: HD650 or HD600

Aug 15, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #5,775 of 12,347

The Beyer T1's pair very well the Crack and will also continue to scale should you decide to go down the Cracks upgrade path  in the future. My HD650's have been gathering dust for some time now. They often come up now discounted around £550 new on the site we publicly must not mention and sometimes Amazon runs promotion deals but they only seem to last a few hours so it can be worth checking regularly. 

I just found one pair of T1 for 700€, probably could try it. 
Especially if they are significantly better than HD700(500€) and T90(400€). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back