Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 6, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #5,417 of 12,347
  Hi Jamie:

I got 2 chokes and a film capacitor. Unfortunately, I don't know where it goes and neither does my friend who assembled it for me. Can you help with a photo or a brief note as to where all these things go? Thanks.

Hi, have a good read of this bb http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,6030.0.html on the Bottlehead forum all the info required to undertake the mod can be found there. It is relatively straight forward exchanging one part for another. Deciding on a solution for how and where to mount chokes is perhaps the most challenging aspect.

The bhf is probably a much better place for Q&A on technical subjects.

Have fun

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #5,418 of 12,347
  my crack+speedball is on the way. i want to put best tubes. i heard the sophia among the best

http://www.sophiaelectric.com/

can you tell me from this site what will be suit for crack?

Nothing against Sophia (I own and like their little Baby amp), but among the Sophia-branded tubes they sell, I don't see any power tubes suited for Crack. They do sell a 12AU7 tube that might be fun to try, but you can get fine NOS tubes for about the same money.

If you want "the best," you'll find plenty of recommendations in the head-fi threads, though "the best" is relative to the headphones you're driving -- that is, a particular combination of tubes will tailor the sound of the amp in a way that most pleases you for the specific headphones you're using. For your adventures in tube rolling, a pretty safe bet for a starting point is an RCA clear top 12AU7 with a Tung Sol 5998 power tube. But since the Tung Sol is getting hard to find and going for ridiculously inflated prices, you might instead try an RCA 6AS7G "coke-bottle" style tube, preferably a black-plate version from the early 1950s. I recently ordered some from Brent Jesse, and they sound very good. Also available here (though I have not tried this vendor): http://tubeworldexpress.com/collections/power-tubes/products/copy-of-6as7g-rca-nos-1951-pair

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #5,419 of 12,347

Hi, have a good read of this bb http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,6030.0.html on the Bottlehead forum all the info required to undertake the mod can be found there. It is relatively straight forward exchanging one part for another. Deciding on a solution for how and where to mount chokes is perhaps the most challenging aspect.

The bhf is probably a much better place for Q&A on technical subjects.

Have fun

Thanks Jamie.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #5,420 of 12,347
  Hi guys, can I join this wonderful club with my new modded Crack?
tongue.gif

And...in action!

Cheers,

Kratos.

beerchug.gif
  Nice how are you liking it with your T1's, your clarity cap bypass looks interesting what value did you use? 

You might want to try adding a inexpensive Russian 2.2uf K72P6 Teflon film cap to bypass each of the 100uf coupling caps. This worked well with my T1's it added smoothness and refinement to the top end along with improved resolution across the board. I was really pleased with the results.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #5,422 of 12,347
  What is that Ring with Beads on the tubes what do they do?

The rings are called 'tube dampers'. It somehow helps to improve microphonics and bring a more focused imaging. But it's just theory, I actually don't feel that it worked that much, maybe I was just imagining.

beerchug.gif
  Nice how are you liking it with your T1's, your clarity cap bypass looks interesting what value did you use? 

You might want to try adding a inexpensive Russian 2.2uf K72P6 Teflon film cap to bypass each of the 100uf coupling caps. This worked well with my T1's it added smoothness and refinement to the top end along with improved resolution across the board. I was really pleased with the results.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jamie!! I'll definitely try that, but now I'm very happy with my current Crack, it really took the T1 to breathtaking level!

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #5,423 of 12,347

What is that Ring with Beads on the tubes what do they do?

The rings are called 'tube dampers'. It somehow helps to improve microphonics and bring a more focused imaging. But it's just theory, I actually don't feel that it worked that much, maybe I was just imagining.

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the recommendation, Jamie!! I'll definitely try that, but now I'm very happy with my current Crack, it really took the T1 to breathtaking level!

Ok Thank You!

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #5,424 of 12,347
  Quick question about the Cardas Quad Eutectic Silver solder - what is the consensus on its impact on sound (if any)? Any advice on how to use it properly?

Possibly the easiest solder to use. I set my iron to 650F and find it responds well enough. Your hookup wire should be making direct connections and the solder binding it in place, but still plays a roll.  A lot of audiophiles swear by Cardas Quad and thus nothing bad has come of it. I've not even heard of bad batches.

As for sonics, one could argue that solder is part of the chain and has impact on the same order as changing cables. It breaks in just like any other solid conductor.  But then, were getting into the hazy area of quarks and gremlins.

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #5,425 of 12,347
After several weeks of deliberations, I have decided to sell my Crack. I just put my listing in the For Sale Forum.

I like my Crack and have enjoyed it since I built it last year, but I just don't use it often enough. It's a beautiful performer and build and I would love to see it go to a head-fier that will use/appreciate it.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #5,427 of 12,347
My Essence One Muses.

Thank you Matt. I'm probably going to sell my HD 800's too.

I'm still struggling to reconcile, but my hearing loss and tinnitus just makes music less enjoyable than it used to be. I don't look forward to listening anymore and the Crack and 800's are wasted on me. I'm thinking I'll come full circle buy a pair of HD 600's (they were my first hi-fi headphones) with the proceeds.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #5,428 of 12,347
Very sorry to hear about the health issues. I've also struggled significantly with tinnitus and hearing problems over the past year or two. It's the kiss of death for people who are truly passionate about enjoying music. 

My latest strategy is just to ignore it. I've tried all other conventional methods. 

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #5,429 of 12,347
I'm sorry that you have it too. It is reassuring to know you're not alone.

I have had declining hearing and growing tinnitus over the past 15 years or so. I finally got hearing aids from the VA last October and they have helped a lot. The downside is the hearing aids allowed my brain to "relax" and so my unaided hearing is more muffled than ever before. My choice with music is to either listen unaided and try to EQ the high frequencies way up (which is difficult to do well) or listen with my aids in (which creates artifacts and distortion).

I can still enjoy music, just not nearly to the degree that I used to.

There are other fulfilling things in my life so I choose to not be upset and simply walk a slightly different path. Life goes on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back