Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #4,321 of 12,347
My friend just moved to the isle of wight and an architect who I get some work off lives there :)  nice part of the world .

Yeah I'd love to try out those t1s someday.... I'm just a little worried as alot of the music I have is mp3s and love exploring youtube for music :)  Listening to some grandaddy tonight sounds amazing (and playing with my new tv :p... amps  transformed the sound of my hd600 sounds great with anything :)

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #4,322 of 12,347

Also, I'm considering a quickie. ...

There's nothing quite like a quickie.

Except for maybe a nooner. Which would be a great name for a new amp...

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #4,324 of 12,347
  I have an extra 5998 if anyone is interested let me know.

Also, I'm considering a quickie. Can someone who owns one pm me. I have a few questions.

Matt, you're welcome to PM me with questions if you haven't already received answers. Hopefully I can help

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #4,325 of 12,347
Thanks for the pm Loquah!!

I have another question. I have an odd sound coming periodically from my amp. I was finally able to reproduce it yesterday by tapping the pot with my fingernail. Sounds like a cowbell. The odd thing is that it happened randomly and without touching the pot. This same phenomenon happened on another crack that I borrowed. 

Any thoughts?

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #4,326 of 12,347

I have another question. I have an odd sound coming periodically from my amp. I was finally able to reproduce it yesterday by tapping the pot with my fingernail. Sounds like a cowbell. The odd thing is that it happened randomly and without touching the pot. This same phenomenon happened on another crack that I borrowed. 

Any thoughts?

Listen to "The Reaper" a lot?

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4,327 of 12,347

Any thoughts?

Ringing sounds like Microphonics! It can be from the tubes (or sometimes caps). Doc said about it on the BH forum something like "It's a feature, not a fault!" Just don't tap the crack :) You can still test which tube is more prone to microphonics, try tapping them gently or around their base. Maybe it's also some loose solder joint inside, especially the connections to the volume pot.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4,329 of 12,347
The sound can come from tapping the knob of the pot. That sound is a perfect match. And then the same sound can happen 3-4 times during a listening session. But nothing is touching or tapping on the amp during that time. Not a big deal. I just wondered if others experienced this same issue. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #4,330 of 12,347
One of my JAN 5998's makes noises kind of like that as the tube heats up (like for up to 20-30 mins or so).  Even in the absence of any vibrations, it makes periodic high pitched "ting" sounds, sort of like what you would expect if you flicked your nail against the side of the tube and caused minor ringing.  As one might expect, that particular tube has been relegated to the bottom of the box.

Do you have another 6080/6as7 you could try to see if it is just the tube?

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #4,332 of 12,347
^^ Crack seems to pick up any imperfections and is very picky about the tubes I roll ,I'm in the same boat as some of you ..I have been constantly rolling a bunch of tubes and I just discovered that the power tube have a lot to do when it comes to unwanted sounds ,for example..I would have noisy 12AU7 when listening paired with 5998 and will get about 10% of the noise with GEC...go figured   

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #4,333 of 12,347
  ^^ Crack seems to pick up any imperfections and is very picky about the tubes I roll ,I'm in the same boat as some of you ..I have been constantly rolling a bunch of tubes and I just discovered that the power tube have a lot to do when it comes to unwanted sounds ,for example..I would have noisy 12AU7 when listening paired with 5998 and will get about 10% of the noise with GEC...go figured   

Interesting I find the GEC's more sensitive to microphonics in my set up, things such as the headphone lead brushing against the enclosure etc can be heard through the tube. When settled in I have no problems and they sound glorious once up to temperature. It certainly feel like the sound quality is better the longer the Crack has to warm up my it seems to be at its best with a couple of hours running on the clock.

I have one 5998 that will make the odd bit of noise a rustle or squeak for a second or two intermittently then its fine. This happens only after its been running for a couple of hours and then only if paired with the E80cc, with the 12au7 types its fine.

Its taken me a while to figure out what works best in my own set up, all the issues I have resolved have been with interference picked up by the Crack rather than the Crack itself. Once all the cable routing was taken care off I did have some back ground noise but this turned out to be source dependent and was easily cured by using a different method of source input for the dac and related only to music streaming from one wifi device when several others worked ok. All working very now with a nice black background.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #4,335 of 12,347
  The sound can come from tapping the knob of the pot. That sound is a perfect match. And then the same sound can happen 3-4 times during a listening session. But nothing is touching or tapping on the amp during that time. Not a big deal. I just wondered if others experienced this same issue. 

definitely microphonics.

it never does that with my Lyr, but on my old little dot II++ amp, it had a lot of noises from the tubes.  mostly while they were heating up.  once they were heated completely (30 minutes or so), they'd stop making noises.  didn't bother me though, I got used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back