Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #6,616 of 12,347
The only problem i have with the 24 steps is where 7th clicks is not loud enough and on 8th clicks too loud for me,I need something like Khozmo 48 steps but they are pricey.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #6,620 of 12,347

Khozmos are good, but keep in mind they are gigantic and would probably not fit in a Bottlehead Crack, whereas the Goldpoint and Valab do.

A Khozmos in a crack? You would have to make a much larger housing for the crack, and probably use a 12 x 12 inch plate at the least. That'd be a huge piece of crack
biggrin.gif

No not for the CRACK passive preamp.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6,621 of 12,347
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #6,623 of 12,347
  Is this the  one in your SEX amp?

Thanks!

Yes its the same as used in my Sex, I have fitted them to a couple of amps so far and the first thing I used one in was a home made passive pre. First assembling one using the metal films selected from their option page which by the way looked identical to those in my Valab these worked well enough but for the Sex I wanted to push the boat out and ordered the RN55 Dales from mouser. Using the list of values that comes in the nice little instruction book which comes with the A5.

I used a spare Crack enclosure to mount it in which was a tight fit width ways think I had to sand a fraction of the end of the pcb to get it to fit but can not actually remember. I ended up cannibalising the pre amp to use the attenuator in another amp build.

I was eager to see how it sounded so in pic of the passive pre below the input selector switch is missing but I also purchased the Select 5 pcb based switch from same people http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/select5.html to use for the selector switch.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6,624 of 12,347
Just to add a little anecdotal info to this discussion -

A couple years ago I wanted to upgrade the attenuators in our premium kits. At the time we were developing the BeePre 300B preamp. We modularized the preamp protoyping setup as much as possible so we could make changes to one part and listen. And so the attenuator was in its own box and thus easily changed out.

We tried some commercial stepped attenuator designs including our own Sweetest Whispers and other much more expensive designs, along with transformer attenuators and a few different pots of carbon and plastic composition.

Interestingly the attenuator that stood out in these comparisons as the cost effective choice was the Blue Velvet. It was better to our ears than everything but the Sweetest Whispers. And so from there we decided that, to get the best sound we could, we would have to develop a new attenuator of our own design. It uses very well made switches and Dale resistors with values worked up by Paul Birkeland. It's clearly better to my ear than the Blue Velvet, but it costs a heckuva lot more and would not fit in a Crack.

I don't know if the one I got was a fluke or if they all sound the same (PB thinks it's a counterfeit), but I still keep that Blue Velvet in a box around as an easy to add attenuator that doesn't color the sound.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #6,625 of 12,347

Is this the  one in your SEX amp?

Thanks!

Yes its the same as used in my Sex, I have fitted them to a couple of amps so far and the first thing I used one in was a home made passive pre. First assembling one using the metal films selected from their option page which by the way looked identical to those in my Valab these worked well enough but for the Sex I wanted to push the boat out and ordered the RN55 Dales from mouser. Using the list of values that comes in the nice little instruction book which comes with the A5.

I used a spare Crack enclosure to mount it in which was a tight fit width ways think I had to sand a fraction of the end of the pcb to get it to fit but can not actually remember. I ended up cannibalising the pre amp to use the attenuator in another amp build.

I was eager to see how it sounded so in pic of the passive pre below the input selector switch is missing but I also purchased the Select 5 pcb based switch from same people http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/select5.html to use for the selector switch.

I just ordered the A3.
Thanks!

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #6,626 of 12,347
I don't know why i'am thinking of making a passive preamp while my CRACK and the SEX are not Working.
frown.gif

Time to fix those things when i get home tomorrow then maybe next a couple of weeks work on the Preamp............... more work.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #6,628 of 12,347
Just to add a little anecdotal info to this discussion -

A couple years ago I wanted to upgrade the attenuators in our premium kits. At the time we were developing the BeePre 300B preamp. We modularized the preamp protoyping setup as much as possible so we could make changes to one part and listen. And so the attenuator was in its own box and thus easily changed out.

We tried some commercial stepped attenuator designs including our own Sweetest Whispers and other much more expensive designs, along with transformer attenuators and a few different pots of carbon and plastic composition.

Interestingly the attenuator that stood out in these comparisons as the cost effective choice was the Blue Velvet. It was better to our ears than everything but the Sweetest Whispers. And so from there we decided that, to get the best sound we could, we would have to develop a new attenuator of our own design. It uses very well made switches and Dale resistors with values worked up by Paul Birkeland. It's clearly better to my ear than the Blue Velvet, but it costs a heckuva lot more and would not fit in a Crack.

I don't know if the one I got was a fluke or if they all sound the same (PB thinks it's a counterfeit), but I still keep that Blue Velvet in a box around as an easy to add attenuator that doesn't color the sound.

Doc,

I just installed the popular PEC pot......are you saying the BV is better? The ALPS is cheap enough I may just have to order one (but where to find a real one is the question?).

The PEC is unbalanced on the bottom and it has a hair of slop to it. You can feel it slightly catch when turning either direction (yes the screw is tight as can be)

I guess it sounds great but I thought the stock pot wasn't bad at all.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #6,629 of 12,347
I'm saying yes, the Blue Velvet sounded better to me than a PEC in my system. But I may also be saying that you do not want a real one, you may want the fake. I'm not sure what about it made Peebs decide it's fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back