Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Oct 2, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #6,034 of 12,335
That proto was quite different than what we are coming out with. It also sold in 5 minutes, so no need to rush to the link. We're hoping to have the first set of panels for the new DAC early next week. If all goes as planned I may be able to post an image mid-week.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #6,035 of 12,335
  That proto was quite different than what we are coming out with. It also sold in 5 minutes, so no need to rush to the link. We're hoping to have the first set of panels for the new DAC early next week. If all goes as planned I may be able to post an image mid-week.

Now I just need to find someone with way too much money who wants to give me a nice wedding gift!

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #6,036 of 12,335
  A while back I bought a Mullard tube from Upscale Audio and have been using it with my crack since then.  Just switched it out and immediately noticed the bass is much less present.  I like that the treble is more forward though.  Anyone know a tube that will work with the Mullard to get the better highs while maintaining the awesome low end? 

In case I wasn't clear looking for a power tube.

I've been in the same conundrum as you for the last week. I have been using the TS 5998 as power tube, then added the Mullard CV4003 (purchased from Upscale Audio as well). The sound has been relatively too lush for my liking even though the transparency is improved. I tried living with that combo for a while, but relented and stuck in a few other power tubes to tame some of the midrange smearing/euphonic traits. To my pleasant surprise, my old TS 7236 did just the trick. It's as close to the TS 5998 as one can get according to this great tube guide: http://the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html. However, it's punchier, has better bass (IMO, it's tighter), and is less warm. They can be found on eBay for ~45. Good luck.

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #6,037 of 12,335
Glad to see someone already figured out the winning combo but I just ordered a Sino 6as7g.  I'll keep a look out for the TS 7236 but will have to wait for funds to recuperate, its been an expensive month 
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #6,038 of 12,335
Lol. I am not ready to call this the winning combo yet. I have to admit that my system has been going through a lot of changes recently. I added a Schiit Wyrd, two new USB cables, and two new power cords, all in the space of a month. As a result , the top combo doesn't seem to tickle me the same as before. I would say it was too much of a good thing. Who knows, I may go back to it. However, the ailment you describe is similar to what I was experiencing, and hopefully, my fix works the same way for you. It's been an expensive month here as well, lol.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #6,039 of 12,335

Exciting news! Very much looking forward to seeing the initial photo(s).

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #6,040 of 12,335
  Lol. I am not ready to call this the winning combo yet. I have to admit that my system has been going through a lot of changes recently. I added a Schiit Wyrd, two new USB cables, and two new power cords, all in the space of a month. As a result , the top combo doesn't seem to tickle me the same as before. I would say it was too much of a good thing. Who knows, I may go back to it. However, the ailment you describe is similar to what I was experiencing, and hopefully, my fix works the same way for you. It's been an expensive month here as well, lol.

There is a solution to this ailment... it's called the Mainline!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #6,041 of 12,335

There is a solution to this ailment... it's called the Mainline!
very_evil_smiley.gif

With all due respect, I doubt there is anything that can cure what ails us. We were all doomed once we stepped into Hi-fi. 
L3000.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #6,043 of 12,335
Yes. I'm afraid you're probably right. The Mainline has cured my amp upgrade-itis, but instead I turned my attention to my portable rig :wink:

As an aside, how well does the Mainline drive the LCD-2.2s and can you speculate on how well it will drive LCD-3s? I want to finally move on to an amp that can handle both high and low impedance headphones equally well, and I have read that the Mainline should fit that bill. What are your thoughts?

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #6,044 of 12,335
The Mainline does a good job with the LCDs, but I find myself preferring the S.E.X. That could be more a question of signatures though because I've nodded the S.E.X. for a warm sound which is also why I bought LCD 2s. The Mainline's more neutral presentation may be more the cause than its actual ability to drive the LCDs.

I'll do some more comparative listening later today and share more then.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #6,045 of 12,335
Looking forward to your comparisons later. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back