Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3,601 of 12,347
  For you guys worried about adhesive coming off due to heat, why not use an epoxy or crazy glue or something?

It was more a case of using what is at hand and in the house rather than buying something especially or postpone fitting till the next day when I could have brought some epoxy back from work.
You are right of course some epoxy or super glue even hot glue would all work well the top plate actually does not get that hot in my experience.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #3,602 of 12,347
Well, I probably wouldn't use hotglue... without the speedball especially, the plate near the vent gets quite hot.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #3,603 of 12,347

Welcome to the cap club Paul
beerchug.gif
 I have about 100hrs on the JFX film caps I fitted to my Crack like you a very noticeable improvement in clarity & detailing straight away. They seem to have settled in now, having noticed some further improvement at around 40hrs and then 60hrs marks.

Thanks!

I also very appreciate the cap attachment idea!  I've never seen those before but they look like an ideal solution.  

The combo with a Telefunken is just great.  I still need a replacement power tube as the RCA I bought was defective 
blink.gif

I am going to go have a look at a hardware store tomorrow.  Thanks everyone, again.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #3,605 of 12,347
Guys, what's the dimension for Crack aluminum panel and the bell? Thank you.

And, silver or black better? Or hammerite black? I think black match the bell better. Not sure with hammerite black.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #3,606 of 12,347
Ah, nevermind. Found it:

The base plat is 6" x 10"
Bell is 2.5" x 3"

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,607 of 12,347
  Guys, what's the dimension for Crack aluminum panel and the bell? Thank you.

And, silver or black better? Or hammerite black? I think black match the bell better. Not sure with hammerite black.

Go with what you like, some of the stone effect spray paints and truck bed liner paints have some interesting looks to them. There are a couple of cracks with the stone effect tops that look smart.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #3,608 of 12,347
I just read the manual for assembling the crack and speedball and I think I'm ready to give it a go. It seems quite straight forwards but there do seem to be a large number of steps but I'm thinking the resistance and voltage check should be very useful in troubleshooting. Anyway I had 2 questions:

1) How long on average do people have to wait to get their BHC from when ordered (I was reading a thread saying some people waited 2 months?).
2) Do you think it's worth waiting for when they offer a discount, are there any special sales coming up in the US any time soon (equivalent to black friday etc.)?

Thanks.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3,609 of 12,347
  I just read the manual for assembling the crack and speedball and I think I'm ready to give it a go. It seems quite straight forwards but there do seem to be a large number of steps but I'm thinking the resistance and voltage check should be very useful in troubleshooting. Anyway I had 2 questions:

1) How long on average do people have to wait to get their BHC from when ordered (I was reading a thread saying some people waited 2 months?).
2) Do you think it's worth waiting for when they offer a discount, are there any special sales coming up in the US any time soon (equivalent to black friday etc.)?

Thanks.

Timing varies based on the current status of their shipping runs, but I would say 2 months is an anomaly. They normally ship a batch every 3-4 weeks I think with delivery times ranging from 4-6 weeks depending on when in the cycle you order.

Looking at their delivery status page (http://www.bottlehead.com/et/deliverystatus.htm) it seems they're due to ship all the post Christmas orders soon so you'd probably be in the next run I expect, but that's a good reason to get your order in sooner than later.

I can't comment on the sales. It has come up on the website that shall not be named, but who knows if / when that will happen again.

A great option though is to find someone nearby who wants one and buy 2 for a 10% discount.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,610 of 12,347
I got the Crack during a sale where they were offering Speedball for free. Everything was 15% off during Black Friday. In general they have sales, but it's unpredictable.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3,613 of 12,347
Funny, the fastest turn around time I ever had for a Crack/Speedball kit shipped to me was when I got one from "the group site that must not be named".

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3,615 of 12,347

Go with what you like, some of the stone effect spray paints and truck bed liner paints have some interesting looks to them. There are a couple of cracks with the stone effect tops that look smart.

I did search but no result. So far I only found the matte black and it's awesome. Can share the link for hammerite finish?

Stupid of me googling. Should have search in this thread in the first place. *facepalm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back