Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 17, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,541 of 12,335
Anyone else try using the Quickie as a preamp for the Crack? I find it a great synergy especially for the HD800. The Quickie really imparts its signature into the Crack, and sounds distinctly different than Crack by itself. I also added both the Speedball and PJCCS upgrades. The Speedball increased some fine technicalities like details imaging, but I found the PJCCS for the Quickie to really add body and tactility to the bass, giving the HD800 an impact level near that of planar magnetics. This pairing really makes the HD800 a well rounder that sounds great even with rock/pop genres. I'm trying to see if anyone else who's heard this pairing with the HD800 has experienced similar things. For me, the Quickie is a better upgrade than the Speedball for the Crack, at least when using with HD800.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #3,542 of 12,335
  Anyone else try using the Quickie as a preamp for the Crack? I find it a great synergy especially for the HD800. The Quickie really imparts its signature into the Crack, and sounds distinctly different than Crack by itself. I also added both the Speedball and PJCCS upgrades. The Speedball increased some fine technicalities like details imaging, but I found the PJCCS for the Quickie to really add body and tactility to the bass, giving the HD800 an impact level near that of planar magnetics. This pairing really makes the HD800 a well rounder that sounds great even with rock/pop genres. I'm trying to see if anyone else who's heard this pairing with the HD800 has experienced similar things. For me, the Quickie is a better upgrade than the Speedball for the Crack, at least when using with HD800.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the combo with my T1s.

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,545 of 12,335
  You're right, Sonido - that's one heck of a combination. The Quickie somehow adds an almost holographic quality to the sound and seems to open up the soundstage somehow. I really like it a lot!!!!

Good to hear! Glad it's sounding good with other headphones as well. Do you have either Speedball or PJCCS installed?

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #3,547 of 12,335

Yes, both. I was also using the Crack with Mullard ECC82 and GEC 6AS7G tubes

I guess the next logical step for me is tube rolling. How much difference did it make for you vs stock tubes? Was the Speedball or tube rolling a bigger difference? I've pretty much decided on getting a BeePre and Mainline as my endgame for the HD800 since I'm loving this Quickie + Crack combo (Quack?) so much.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #3,548 of 12,335

I guess the next logical step for me is tube rolling. How much difference did it make for you vs stock tubes? Was the Speedball or tube rolling a bigger difference? I've pretty much decided on getting a BeePre and Mainline as my endgame for the HD800 since I'm loving this Quickie + Crack combo (Quack?) so much.

Speedball is the more significant (and predictable) upgrade. Tube rolling adds the final 5%.

If you're going for the Mainline I'd say save your funds (i.e. don't bother with tubes) and go straight for that. For people who aren't interested in the Mainline, I think some of the affordable tubes out there (5998s, non-GEC 6AS7s, Mullard 6080WA, RCA cleartop 12AU7, Mullard ECC82) can provide excellent improvements from a small investment. Of course the GEC's and some other $100+ tubes are amazing, but not entirely necessary as they are probably only a 1-2% improvement over the good lower priced tubes that I just mentioned.

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #3,549 of 12,335

Speedball is the more significant (and predictable) upgrade. Tube rolling adds the final 5%.

If you're going for the Mainline I'd say save your funds (i.e. don't bother with tubes) and go straight for that. For people who aren't interested in the Mainline, I think some of the affordable tubes out there (5998s, non-GEC 6AS7s, Mullard 6080WA, RCA cleartop 12AU7, Mullard ECC82) can provide excellent improvements from a small investment. Of course the GEC's and some other $100+ tubes are amazing, but not entirely necessary as they are probably only a 1-2% improvement over the good lower priced tubes that I just mentioned.

Ok thanks. For me I found adding the stock Quickie to the chain did more than adding the Speedball. Even adding the PJCCS did more than Speedball to the chain. I think this is because the Quickie really imparts its sound signature substantially. I'll probably skip tube rolling in that case, and save up for those amps.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,550 of 12,335
As upgrades go for the Crack and if on a tight budget my first choice if building again (which might be soon)  would be to install a Valab 23 step attenuator circa $20 it was a very noticeable improvement for me then onto upgrading tubes. The clarity the Valab brings to the Crack really helped in revealing the individual sonic characteristics of different tubes rolled.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #3,551 of 12,335
  As upgrades go for the Crack and if on a tight budget my first choice if building again (which might be soon)  would be to install a Valab 23 step attenuator circa $20 it was a very noticeable improvement for me then onto upgrading tubes. The clarity the Valab brings to the Crack really helped in revealing the individual sonic characteristics of different tubes rolled.

you'd be better add a small PCB with an optocoupler volume controller (also called light speed attenuator). it comprises some advantegous over regular resistive volume attenuators

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #3,554 of 12,335
  Do any of the chinese tube amps (Little Dot, Dark Voice, La Figaro etc.) have a similar design/performance as the BHC?

i run a Littledot MK3 and i also wread  a review of the Littledot and BHC heres the link .About the Littledot if you like to tube roll theres a ton of possibilitys regarding tubes theres the stock EF91-92 and  EF95 types and other types also ,plus if you feel like making adapters you can roll 6DJ8 types 12AX7 and octals .so theres plenty to keep yourself busy with . I use the amp with  Senns HD 800 and i like it .                                                                                                    http://lf.org/abtests/ns/hpamps/10.html

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #3,555 of 12,335
Interesting, doesn't sound like he thought there was a huge difference. Not bad considering the LD MK3 is priced at $189 compared to $400 for Crack + Speedball. It would be interesting to know if the more expensive LDs outperform the BHC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back