Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 10, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 12,346
The other kit must be s.e.x I guess. It really looks great, but not so cheap and simple to build unfortunately.
redface.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 12,346
I absolutely don't need another amp. I ordered mine yesterday. I've built a few Bottlehead kits. Great folks to do business with and killer products.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #18 of 12,346
I've always wanted to build a Bottlehead amp, even way back about six years ago for my 2-channel setup. Right now I'm pretty content with my WA22, but perhaps one day...
evil_smiley.gif
I'll have to modify the chassis and install a female 4-pin XLR connector.
angry_face.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #19 of 12,346
I have been specifically avoiding buying more stuff. However I saw this thread, looked at the amp description, and bought it instantly. What happened...? My analysis: one of those had-to-have-it moments where the object in question is so ideally affordable.

And -- being a head-fi zombie in good standing -- if it doesn't work with my current 'phones then more's the reason to buy another pair!

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #20 of 12,346
Over on the Bottlehead forum Doc B. says they've had to double their order of top plates. Not bad at all. Looking forward to putting one together.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #21 of 12,346
One of the really cool things about these kits is, once you have the stock amp working and get a handle on the way it sounds, you can modify them very easily. Doing upgrades one step at a time is very affordable and you'll learn what mods tickle your particular fancy (or your favorite cans).

None of that paying an arm and a leg and waiting for months for your amp to come back. And if something doesn't go right, no big deal. There's a forum full of helpful folks that'll help you get it going again.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #23 of 12,346
I have only built a cmoy, i wonder if im capable of doing this amp & do the tubes come with it? Also does anyone know what other amps this design compares too?

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 12,346
Can't answer the first question, but yes, tubes do come with it. And while I'm not sure how similar the circuits are, I'm guessing it's so different from the Darkvoice 336 or Woo WA3, which both use a single 6AS7/6080 power tube (although the DV336 uses a 6SN7 driver and the WA3 a pair of 6DJ8's).

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #25 of 12,346
crackunderside.jpg

well i think im willing to give it a shot, It doesn't look like there is too many parts to it, So might be doable at my skill level, but i really dont see the point in ordering this early. Unless after the first shipment they are going to be on back order. So im assuming no drilling required, all the holes for tube, volume knob....etc are provided.(what are those white things that say X1CON)

All i have is my senn hd600's and my 600ohm dt880s, So im not sure If my Bravo or My maverick is doing either of them full justice since most people here have much costlier amps. but this Crack Amp looks like the the other amps that would cost one somewhere in the $400-$500 range. which is why this thing as kinda got my full attention at the moment

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #26 of 12,346
No drilling required and all of the parts are supplied. You supply the solder, soldering iron, wire strippers, screwdrivers, etc. and the sweat equity. You also have to assemble the wood box the chassis sits on and apply the finish of your choice.

The white things are 3k ohm 10 watt resistors that tie the tubes (don't know if it's the plates or the grids) to ground.

Bottlehead is pretty much a mom and pop shop. Thus everything is on backorder most of the time. They will take your order, charge your card, get the components and ship it to you in a few weeks. They are VERY up-front about that. No or very low inventory is how they keep their prices low. There are times when they have inventory but that's not usually the case. I've bought a few of their kits and have always been treated well. Good folks that sell good stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well i think im willing to give it a shot, It doesn't look like there is too many parts to it, So might be doable at my skill level, but i really dont see the point in ordering this early. Unless after the first shipment they are going to be on back order. So im assuming no drilling required, all the holes for tube, volume knob....etc are provided.(what are those white things that say X1CON)

All i have is my senn hd600's and my 600ohm dt880s, So im not sure If my Bravo or My maverick is doing either of them full justice since most people here have much costlier amps. but this Crack Amp looks like the the other amps that would cost one somewhere in the $400-$500 range. which is why this thing as kinda got my full attention at the moment

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #27 of 12,346
We have indeed decided to keep Bottlehead more or less a mom and pop kind of deal over the years, though there are actually seven people who work in various aspects of the business these days. We just initiated some new project management software this week, and our tentative ship date for the the first Crack kits in that program worked out to April 7. That date is not cast in stone as we are at the mercy of our jobbers, in particular our laser cutter. They usually take about three weeks to get our order shipped, but they do have backlogs and sometimes it can take a bit longer.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 12,346
Quote:

but i really dont see the point in ordering this early. Unless after the first shipment they are going to be on back order.

I can't say for sure how things will go timing-wise on a second run, but I can tell you that we have already doubled our parts orders for the first run based on the number of pre-orders we have been getting, and as of today we only have ten kits not spoken for in that first run. Tech Shawn spent a day sorting through my stash of old stock 6080s with a TV-10 tube tester, and I think we should have enough to cover the first run of kits. After those run out we will be buying new stock Russian tubes and there will be a price increase necessary to cover the cost of the tubes.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 12,346
Couple of questions. 1) Does it come with the case? 2) Is there another way to mount the RCA jacks so they aren't standing straight up? Thanks.

EDIT: I found the answer to both. Sorry for the lack of research.

I am really liking the looks of this thing. I saw in one of the questions that a balanced one would be a lot more, but could you not buy two of these and make a balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back