Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #1,936 of 12,347
I am not too sure what to expect, I am sure it wont touch my WA2
With the 650s I slightly preferred the Crack/Speedball/TS5998, with HD800s I preferred the WA2 by a larger margin. No contest in the looks department though, WA2 is the best looking amp IMO.

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,938 of 12,347
Quote:
With the 650s I slightly preferred the Crack/Speedball/TS5998, with HD800s I preferred the WA2 by a larger margin. No contest in the looks department though, WA2 is the best looking amp IMO.

One of the joys of DIY is that you can customise the kit to look how you want.  It may not measure up to the WA2, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Here is Skylab's customised Crack case:

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,940 of 12,347
Quote:
Apparently with the 12AU7 to 6SN7 there is a difference between the 6.3V and 12V version of the adapters.   The ebay seller told me that the one I have that doesn't work is wired for 12V and that I need the 6.3V version.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I wanted to relay the info here for anyone concerned.

So...  I've just ordered one of these adapters too.  Mine is the 6.3V version.  Did I order the right thing?

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #1,942 of 12,347
Quote:
Well I honestly hope that I like my WOO more. LOL. I can't wait to get this amp!!

If that is what you hope for, then that is what will happen. Expectation is like that.

Of course whether you are actually right or not flies completely out the window......

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,943 of 12,347
I just received my second hand crack purchased from the classifieds here. It's a limited edition Bottlehead built and sold last year. I believe 1 of 6.

Sounds wonderfully delicate with my HD600. Very nice air, space and background silence. I'm going to enjoy this combo very much.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #1,944 of 12,347
Quote:

If that is what you hope for, then that is what will happen. Expectation is like that.

Of course whether you are actually right or not flies completely out the window......

Actually I am pretty honest with myself and if I like the Crack more I will admit it, I just made the comment because if I DO like the Crack more then there goes $1200. LOL!!

I have only heard about a dozen headphone amps and the WA2 is my fave so far, it is one hard amp to beat honestly. :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,945 of 12,347
I have tried (meaning bought and lived with for an extended period, not just briefly listened to) dozens of amps. I've owned a WA6 and WA22. The WA22 had about $600-700 worth of upgrade tubes. I had it before I built my Crack. As soon as I built the Crack (and had lived with it long enough to be sure that what I was hearing was real), I sold the WA22 and have never regretted it. The Crack demolished the WA22 with my HD800s. By comparison, the WA22 sounded thick, slow and muffled. Of course, the WA6 and WA22 are WOT, which might account for the difference, and I have certainly heard good things about the WA2 (which is obviously OTL).

Best regards,
Adam

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,946 of 12,347
I recently added the GEC Brown Strait Base 12AU7 to the Crack and it is incredible. I am still astonished at how quiet the background is. I am considering how much a DAC upgrade (from the odac) would improve the sound.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,947 of 12,347
Quote:
Of course, the WA6 and WA22 are WOT, which might account for the difference, and I have certainly heard good things about the WA2 (which is obviously OTL).

The truth of the matter is, aside from the WA2 using paralleled sections on the output and thus having higher peak power output, the Crack is potentially a FAR better amp.

With a Speedball, you have a much better tube load than the resistors in the WA2. LED biasing should be superior. Bit hard to tell from the photos whether the WA2 is direct or AC coupled. Add a good pot and film caps on the output, and you are miles ahead for far lower cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back