CPU and HD temps
Sep 28, 2008 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought a cheap laptop for the purpose of staying connected while out and about without having to lug around a 17 incher.

It has a T5500 Intel Core2 Duo processor.

Temp readings are:

CPU Temp: 71-72C at max performance (continous max CPU speed), 63-64C with dynamic switching
HD Temp: 41-42C

Is that running hot? I know intel chips run hotter, but is it running HOT? Intel spec sheet say it's 100 degrees.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Mobile Processor T5500 - SL9SQ

So is 72-72 degrees normal if 100 degrees is what it could rise to? I don't quite understand what the 100 degrees specifies. Is that max temp or what it's supposed to be at?

The program I'm using is NHC 2.0. Good program?

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Nobody?

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 8
Sounds about right. I have a T5500 in my laptop and it goes up to around 75 in games. My hard drives usually hover at around 45.

I use HWMonitor for temp readings.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Your CPU temps are fine, it is common for notebook C2Ds to get in the ~70*C range. The 100*C measure Intel gives is the TJunction - the maximum the processor is rated for.

Most notebook 2.5-inch hard drives are rated for 55*C; 40-42*C is quite cool.

NHC is a great program, you might try undervolting your CPU a bit with it (increases battery life though can increase heat at idle a bit since the fan won't run as often/as fast - overall worth it).

To monitor temps, you can also use HWMonitor:
CPUID
No install necessary, just download + run.

Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Depends on what test program you are using to measure it plus the temp sensor on that generation of mobile CPUs is not that precisely calibrated much like that on early batches of E8x00 CPUs. RealTemp should have the correct TJMax for those CPUs so you can use it to check. Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring. 70~75 max temperature is acceptable. and anything below 50 degrees for the hard drive is perfectly fine.

TJMax has nothing to do with the thermal limits of the CPU. It is a common misconception it is just the way the thermal diode readout is formatted.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Your HD temps are fine. Your CPU temps are a little high. I haven't owned an Intel laptop in a while but my TL-60 AMD runs about 55-60 between cores at idle and a little more then that at load.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any good vista sidebar apps that will show you the temps?

You'll need to have a program capable of reading temps installed first. I know Speedfan used to have a Gadget but it just stopped working one day and I was never able to find it again on the Gadget website. If you have Everest Ultimate, there's also a built in utility that allows you to display temps in the sidebar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back