Cowon S9 - Sound upgrade?
Feb 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

globiboulga

100+ Head-Fier
I have a very specific question regarding the S9 sound signature for those who, like me, own(ed) the Cowon X5 and the Cowon D2.

I really liked the X5 sound (and it's still the best sounding player I've heard). Warmth, precision, soundstage, it really suited me, but I was kind of disappointed when I upgraded to the D2. Sound turned harsh, metallic and way too 'aggressive'. Probably good if you listen to electronic music, but painful when it comes to Pop, Folk or classical.

I am very tempted to upgrade to a new player. After 2 years of service, my D2 is ready to be handed other, and I am considering the S9 as a potential replacement.

Thing is of course, I am first and foremost looking to get back to the X5 sound and I'd like to know from people who have heard the 3 players, how the S9 compare to the D2 and the X5. If it turns out the S9 sounds more like the D2, I will have to reconsider and probably consider either a Sony, or even a second hand X5.

So how does the S9 sound? More like a X5 or more like a D2? If it does sound like a D2, which player out there do you guys think is the closest, sound wise, to the X5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back