Cowon S9 + Sony MDREX500LP Replacement?
Feb 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

domino584

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm new here and wanting to get into the whole high-quality audio field.  Recently we moved to another house and I have no idea where my player, the headphones, or the power cable for the player is.  Which just absolutely sucks.

I was wondering what this player and headphones compare to?  I don't think I'm going to get a full course of new audio equipment, but I do need a cheap pair of IEMs for the laptop at school.  I checked the "140 IEM review" but it is rather hard to find the IEMs reviewed in the local stores for the $50-150 CAD price tag.  Here, all we have is walmart and staples, or professional stores that add nearly double the value to pay for shipping.  Or, just a few hour drive for the weekend yields Edmonton with all the big name stores.  However the websites don't really offer many of the IEMs reviewed.  For online stores I'm limited to ones that accept paypal.

I'm probably also going to be looking at a replacement for the player over the summer.  But I'm no pro at audio equipment and was wondering if I can get some pointers or knowledge from you guys.  What sort of player would be a good replacement, or better, than the S9?  Just a list of what I'm looking for:

1. Long lasting.  I used to listen to music at least 4 hours a day.
  2. Good for my type of music.  I'm a huge Bon Jovi fan.  The genres tend to be centered around 70s, 80s, hard/soft rock and metal.
  3. Supports .flac and all that audio goodness.
  4. A fair price tag.
  5. Able to drive most IEMs nicely / doesn't require an amp to make even the best IEMs sound at their best.
  6. Large capacity.  flac is going to take up a lot of space, though, Cowon s9 8 GB faired nicely.

On a side note I would also like to pick up something today for cheap.  Something as a spare for the time being or if I do ever lose my stuff again.  I was hearing a lot about how good Sandisk Sansa Clip+ is.  But I heard that required a tweak or something?  is the Fuze+ any better or how much better?  I guess I'm looking at a $100-150 CAD for the player and the phones.  But I'm on a school budget, so closer to $100 bucks the better (just for the spare).  Also wondering how this would compare to my previous setup?

I don't know exactly which route I should take.  Grab a spare for the time being or just invest in some high quality IEMs, use the laptop as the player, and just grab a great new player over the summer.  But I guess this would all change if I am able to find the player and the sonys.

Thanks for any help.  Sorry for too many questions :p 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back