Cowon Plenue P1
Aug 17, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,456 of 2,974
I'm amazed that there's so little on Head-Fi about the P1 (apart from this solitary thread). Even out there on the rest of the interwebs there's only a handful of reviews. Based on what I've read it sits in a very groovy DAP niche. Its the DAP I've decided to move up to from my trusty DX90. The 256gb storage is certainly one of the key reasons but since everyone agrees that it's a very noticeable step up from the iBasso I'm madly excited to find out how this will show through on my NAD HP50s and Westone W40s.

I've read multiple threads talking about the latest high end DAPs and the P1 rarely seems to get a look in compared to the AK240, Calyx M, Sony ZX2, Lotoo PG and HM901 but based on specs it should be jostling for 1st place. What gives?

Apart from the cNet Review does anyone know of any other in-depth reviews anywhere?

As long as the eBay seller was a legit guy and that Customs are taking their lunch break when my parcel drifts through I should have a sealed P1 for a silly bargain price! It was the only way I was ever going to be able to justify buying one to my other half 
wink_face.gif
 . Selling a DX50 and DX90 should cover about half.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,457 of 2,974
  I'm amazed that there's so little on Head-Fi about the P1 (apart from this solitary thread). Even out there on the rest of the interwebs there's only a handful of reviews. Based on what I've read it sits in a very groovy DAP niche. Its the DAP I've decided to move up to from my trusty DX90. The 256gb storage is certainly one of the key reasons but since everyone agrees that it's a very noticeable step up from the iBasso I'm madly excited to find out how this will show through on my NAD HP50s and Westone W40s.

I've read multiple threads talking about the latest high end DAPs and the P1 rarely seems to get a look in compared to the AK240, Calyx M, Sony ZX2, Lotoo PG and HM901 but based on specs it should be jostling for 1st place. What gives?

Apart from the cNet Review does anyone know of any other in-depth reviews anywhere?

As long as the eBay seller was a legit guy and that Customs are taking their lunch break when my parcel drifts through I should have a sealed P1 for a silly bargain price! It was the only way I was ever going to be able to justify buying one to my other half 
wink_face.gif

There are great movies that no one has seen and bad movies that everybody has seen.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,458 of 2,974

wink_face.gif

I think the DX80 will be a great product but so is the P1, imo Cowon went weak on the marketing. It just never got attention. Also, it joined the DAP-game too late. Still, there are news of a second version coming out in the near future in Korea so sit tight in anticipation for those who like Cowon's house sound.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,459 of 2,974
  I think the DX80 will be a great product but so is the P1, imo Cowon went weak on the marketing. It just never got attention. Also, it joined the DAP-game too late. Still, there are news of a second version coming out in the near future in Korea so sit tight in anticipation for those who like Cowon's house sound.

I would think any new version would be priced twice as high as the price of the p1. I do agree with the statement above, the Cowon P1 is a remarkable DAP that plays in the same league as players much more expensive, and out performs those that I have heard.

Not only does it sound excellent but the UI equals or is better.

Aug 17, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,460 of 2,974
In terms of market presence Cowon are better known than Lotoo and HiFi Man. So, I'm not sure I agree that Cowon didn't market well enough. Surely you'd expect more info/reviews/comments on a site such as Head-Fi? I'm just surprised is all.

Much as I enjoyed my DX50 and DX90 I did start to get a bit annoyed with the sound sig changing every time there was a firmware update. Also I've found the FW to have a number of, admittedly minor, bugs and some questionable UI decisions that detract from the player's quality.

Anyhoo, that's all hopefully in the past as I eagerly await my new audio geegaw. The NAD Viso HP50s are an amazing closed back HP that sound amazing with the DX90 and so I'm hoping they're going to sound even more jaw dropping on the P1!

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,461 of 2,974
Yes the P1 is a great step up from the DX90. I chose the DX90 over the Fiio X5 when I got my first dap because of the more intuitive touch screen etc. among others, but compared to the P1 it looks like its screen was designed in the '80's. I also thought it was really annoying that it couldn't remember which folder it was in every time it started up altough it remembered the song.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,463 of 2,974
i am thinking of upgrading from my DX90 , and i am thinking of getting the P1

only question i have -  is the 800$ P1 a worthy upgrade to my DX90 ?

thanx for any feedback in here

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,465 of 2,974
Simply put, the P1 and the M are both better than the DX90.

i guess they are (they should be at that price) - the question here is HOW MUCH better ?

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,466 of 2,974
Going by Sound,Options, UI, Build both M and P1 worth it but is it worth twice the price? Yes if those points are important to you. DX90 is good and a great price but why not have more than just the DX90?

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,467 of 2,974
looks like P1 is gonna be my next DAP - once the upgraditis demons in our head start yelling 'you need this' , there is no escape
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,469 of 2,974
looks like P1 is gonna be my next DAP - once the upgraditis demons in our head start yelling 'you need this' , there is no escape :p

I don't think you will regret it! There's a slight warmth to the sound, but with great detail and separation. On normal setting, which I've use most the time, it is enough for me though I have played around with Jet effects and it responds very well as long as you do it in small increments. The UI is really good, works very well. There's nothing fancy about the P1, no bells or whistles. It just plays music very well!

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,470 of 2,974
a few more questions , as this seems like a great-sounding DAP and a potential next buy - help me out here , you kind P1 users

1 - i am gonna use it only with iems , will i be fine power-wise ? i saw some complaints regarding full-size headphones , any problems with iems ( K3003 and CK10) ?
2 - does it pair well with analytical/bright iems (like K3003 , ck10) ? i get a feeling that it is a mildly warm DAP , correct ?
3 - will there be any problems with using my mini-amp(arrow 4G) as it does not have a dedicated LO ?
4 - it uses SD cards like the ones used on DX90 (my current DAP) ?
5 - can you listen to music while charging the battery ?

i can not try the P1 where i live , so i need to be sure about it before i pull the trigger on such a costly DAP

thanx in advance
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back