Cowon Plenue P1
Nov 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #856 of 2,974
I've read mixed things about the AK240 playing DSD natively. I've read it doesn't do to being able to adjust the volume, which you shouldn't be able to do because it's analog or something along those lines.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #857 of 2,974

Personally DSD playback is all hyped as far as I’m concerned. The problem is finding a good quality recorded  DSD music. Some of the ones  I have  bought sound worse than a lot of  redbook cds  I currently have.

Personally at the moment I would not buy a DAP just because it plays native DSD. Things might change in the future, but for now good recorded Redbook would do me fine. The AK240 plays native DSD but I can’t tell much of a difference between a good quality redbook. 96/24khz file and DSD file except in the amount it takes on the hard disk

I have the same experience. Often DSD does not impress. I had many records on sacd and the same on dvd-a. I used these for my work to compare. DVD-a was always better. i did a lot of blindtests. People choose in most cases for dvd-a. Most thought they they would think differently. At the end always the best and most convincing sound counts and wins. It is that easy!!

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #858 of 2,974
   I have the same experience. Often DSD does not impress. I had many records on sacd and the same on dvd-a. I used these for my work to compare. DVD-a was always better. i did a lot of blindtests. People choose in most cases for dvd-a. Most thought they they would think differently. At the end always the best and most convincing sound counts and wins. It is that easy!!

What is it exactly about the DVD-a format that makes for the improvement do you think?

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #859 of 2,974
The difference between the dsd and pcm 24 bit recrdings is that I find pcm more natural sounding. And second instruments and voices are smaller in proportion. They are also more physical touchable. I have the same experience with real classical concert with 2 or 3 people. This has become avery important part for me how I judge a system.

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #860 of 2,974
  The difference between the dsd and pcm 24 bit recrdings is that I find pcm more natural sounding. And second instruments and voices are smaller in proportion. They are also more physical touchable. I have the same experience with real classical concert with 2 or 3 people. This has become avery important part for me how I judge a system.

Oh, so DVD-a is better simply b/c it's pcm and not that it's superior to regular pcm, is that right, Bobby?

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #861 of 2,974
Recently I bought many records at Qobuz in 24 bit which I already had in 16 bit 44.1. They sound superior compared to the 44.1 recordings. It is a lot more natural (warmer), low freq are more controled with more layers. Instruments ande voices are better separated and are better focussed. And you hear a lot more space. For example the 24/96 khz Diana Krall recordings are stunning. I had some also on sacd. But these are even better.

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #862 of 2,974
Hey all 

I used to have an x5 and then j3...since been using android with external dac/amp. 

Can anyone tell me the price on this in the UK? Im wondering is it a competitor to the ak100 II or 120 II. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #863 of 2,974
  Hey all 

I used to have an x5 and then j3...since been using android with external dac/amp. 

Can anyone tell me the price on this in the UK? Im wondering is it a competitor to the ak100 II or 120 II. 

More towards AK120II, it's priced in btw AK100II and AK120II.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #864 of 2,974
Do high end DAPS ever suffer from EMI/RFI on the train for example? From others using their phones? 

I personally find this the biggest weakness of my S3 - apex glacier combo. its blips often unless I put
it in my jacket pocket wrapped in my scarf!! 

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #866 of 2,974

I got mine for £650 so that's still cheaper than the AK100II

And i can get the AK100II for $700, so it's still cheaper than your P1. But your comparing different region, so it's different. Standard retail price for P1 is around $1400 average, if you want to convert it to £ like how it's usually done, then it'll be a direct conversion = £1400.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #867 of 2,974
Do high end DAPS ever suffer from EMI/RFI on the train for example? From others using their phones? 

I personally find this the biggest weakness of my S3 - apex glacier combo. its blips often unless I put
it in my jacket pocket wrapped in my scarf!! 

Both of my AK's didn't have much interference at all, only a small amount if my iem cable touched my cell, and other always.

Right now I have my 120ii, I literally wrapped the cable around my Note 3, zero interference.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #868 of 2,974

And i can get the AK100II for $700, so it's still cheaper than your P1. But your comparing different region, so it's different. Standard retail price for P1 is around $1400 average, if you want to convert it to £ like how it's usually done, then it'll be a direct conversion = £1400.

OK. Didn't know you were in the US.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #869 of 2,974

OK. Didn't know you were in the US.

Nah, actually i'm from Asia but i buy my stuff from US using a 3rd party shipper since they still have the cheapest pricing there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back