Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 3,200
I contacted Cowon to find out if the J3 was capable of down-scaling HD video and here was their response:

Dear Customer,

Im afraid you will need to convert your movies to the appropriate resolution the J3 can handle.
Thank You,
Technical Suppport Staff
Cowon America Inc
"Digital Pride"

I hate to say it, because I started this thread, but I was really hoping for better video support from this device. It looks like I will in the market for a D2+ and an O2 for video.

That being said, I'm still very curious to hear about the SQ of the J3 when it arrives on our shores.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 3,200
Dude, when I had the S9 all I had to do was drag & drop unconverted videos to the player - the J3 is the same.

There's a reason why I said to ask all your questions on iAudiophile.net,...........you asking Cowon via customer service will get you screwy answers.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 3,200
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, when had the S9 all I had to do was drag & drop unconverted videos to the player - the J3 is the same.

There's a reason why I said to ask all your questions on iAudiophile.net,...........you asking Cowon via customer service will get you screwy answers.

Thanks, but I had posed the question to Cowon before your post. I have been lurking around iAudiophile, nice site.

BTW, I'm utterly confused about your post. If I'm understanding you correctly, dragging and dropping a file that is (let's say) 1024x720 will convert that file to a smaller format (let's say 480x337)!? Or, is the S9 capable of viewing larger format files but just not in HD?

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 3,200
No HD on he player AFAIK, except the possible usage of 720p, same as the S9. And NO, the videos don't get converted by dragging and dropping them on the player.
confused_face.gif

Like I suggested, go to iAudiophile.net and chat w/a few of the members - they'll answer everything you ask, and from a CURRENT owners perspective.

May 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 3,200
May 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 3,200
It might just be me. I was pretty set on the D2+ and the Shure SE530's, then started reconsidering for various reasons. But, I'm pretty much back to Cowon and really really like what I've read about the J3. I think that I'm just going to have to jump in and just do it. I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis here, being too analytical. I hardly think that the Cowon player, whether D2+ or J3, with a set of SE530's will sound anything less than great for jazz, especially compared to my current setup. (iPod 30GB and Bose on ear headphones)  I will be ordering this week for sure.

May 16, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 3,200

Quote:
It might just be me. I was pretty set on the D2+ and the Shure SE530's, then started reconsidering for various reasons. But, I'm pretty much back to Cowon and really really like what I've read about the J3. I think that I'm just going to have to jump in and just do it. I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis here, being too analytical. I hardly think that the Cowon player, whether D2+ or J3, with a set of SE530's will sound anything less than great for jazz, especially compared to my current setup. (iPod 30GB and Bose on ear headphones)  I will be ordering this week for sure.

It will definitely sound great with jazz music and much more. 

May 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 3,200
Why did Cowon move away from the larger HD based products like the iAudio x5. It seems like they went to smaller storage formats with lager screens, while apple keep plugging away with larger storage.

It seems like Cowon has moved away from audio into the personal movie player market, but with smaller storage drives. I really don't get it. I really liked my 60Gb X5 and it still works fine for a portable option.

At some point i will need to find a replacement, but I'm just not willing to go the apple route. I have over 2.5 Tb of Flac files alone. There's no way i will be spending the time to convert them.

May 17, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #25 of 3,200
If I am like many other consumers then I can tell you why.  I have officially gotten away hard disk drives in favor of solid-state storage.  HDDs skip (I have often noticed this while listening to long MP3s or audiobooks in the car), there is always a delay in the UI due to HD spin-up and the battery life is less with an HDD than an SSD. 

I've also found that I don't need to carry 15,000 crappy songs around with me (320 kbps MP3).  32GB of quick, battery sipping storage is more than enough to carry a good deal of music around.  I leave the 120GB came to my desktop listening.  For all of these reasons I have retired my iPod Classic and Video.

As for the form factor of the larger devices (V5), I don't see a need for them - just like the stupid iPad.  They're just large enough to not fit in my pocket or stack well with a portable amp, and they're too small to do what my netbook does.

In your case, no matter what PMP you decide on, nothing will be adequate.  You have 2.5TB of MUSIC!  I believe you, but here's the breakdown:
2.5TB = 2,500,000MB
If the average FLAC album was 500MB (2,500,000MB / 500MB) = 5,000 Albums!

Forget a PMP you need a small laptop.

May 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #26 of 3,200
BTW, I live in Seoul and if I can find good prices, I can help you guys get one if you want. I do ask this: all Paypal/exchange/shipping fees cover my credit card bills 100%. I don't have a Korean Credit card, so I pay a little more than I'd like.

May 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #27 of 3,200
Shigzeo - you're saying you can get the J3? If that is what you mean, a couple of questions? How much does one cost, do you have an idea about shipping costs, and what about returns? The return thing concerns me, since I could buy pretty much anything at Amazon, and return it for whatever reason to Amazon, instead of the manufacturer. Still, I am curious about the price difference. Thanks.

May 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #28 of 3,200
I wouldn't be able to get involved in returns - too much time and money, but if you 'have' to have one, I can look around for the the J3. All I offer is to buy at the Korean price and sell it to you for that price plus shipping and paypal. I can only do maybe one at a time though as my credit card is... hot.

May 17, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #29 of 3,200

Quote:
"... in favor of solid-state storage.  HDDs skip
...HD spin-up and the battery life is less with an HDD than an SSD." 

Advantages for sure, but the small cowon music only players are ridiculously small. Where are the larger SS drives without the silly big screens?

"As for the form factor of the larger devices (V5), I don't see a need for them - just like the stupid iPad.  They're just large enough to not fit in my pocket or stack well with a portable amp, and they're too small to do what my netbook does." Agree

"In your case, no matter what PMP you decide on, nothing will be adequate.  You have 2.5TB of MUSIC! "  I have about 55 Live shows in Flac at any one time on the iAudio. This allows enough variety not to have to worry about constant changes.

Quote:
Why did Cowon move away from the larger HD based products like the iAudio x5. It seems like they went to smaller storage formats with lager screens, while apple keeps plugging away with larger storage, and marginal SQ.

It seems like Cowon has moved away from audio into the personal movie player market, but with smaller storage drives. I really don't get it. I really liked my 60Gb X5 and it still works fine for a portable option.

At some point i will need to find a replacement, but I'm just not willing to go the apple route. I have over 2.5 Tb of Flac files alone. There's no way i will be spending the time to convert them.

May 17, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #30 of 3,200
@viola_jam there is always the less convenient option: Flash-based Cowon and carry bandoliers of microSDHC/SDHC cards filled with your flac files... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back