Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Apr 5, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #257 of 479

Quote:
Some apps work fine.  Some don't work at all.  Some work partially, as like AngryBirds not displaying some of its graphics, but playing fine otherwise.

What's with so much interest with the app angry birds? It seems kind of strange. Is it a really good game or something?

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #259 of 479
no.... angry birds is an ugly game... is the same thing as crush the castle, wich i hated a lot, but with other graphics.... i do not understand neither what is so cool about them.... angry birds is one of the worst games i ever played,... i mean i am a huge ng (newgrounds) and armorgames user... and i consider crush the castle and angry birds just crap.... none of these games is nothing else but a simple phisycs game.... in both you throw with something to distroy something....

Apr 5, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #260 of 479
Like it or not, Angry birds was the number one downloaded game on both iOS and android devices for awhile after it first showed up.  There is apparenly a gene (recessive in some) we have that likes to knock things down by throwing things at them. :wink:

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #261 of 479
I finally got my D3! It's is a player with a ton of potential, but not much else.

I'm having difficulty navigating through the Android music menus. I can live with the lag as long as I don't have to spend so much time picking tunes. Im starting to think that the Cowon hype is BS. Sure it has great sound quality but it has the worst music UI I have ever seen. In comparison to the Zune HD UI this seems downright broken.

1) Is there anyway to group albums by letter or search music by name? It is extremely cumbersome to use the scroller to search for a particular album or song.

2) Can I arrange music by Artist > Album > Songs? I use both a MicroSD and the internal Memory and it is too much work to switch between the two directories constantly for differing artists. Combining internal memory and SD folder sorting would work, but of course there is no option for that... sigh

3) I want to sort music by album in the bookmark section not by song. Is there any way I can do this?

4) Can I pin a album or artist as a shortcut to my homescreen? I like to listen to new new releases, but its a drag to have to sort through 100s of albums just to find maybe 20 albums I will play regularly.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #262 of 479
One thing to consider about the D3 is that it is running on Android.  That means you don't have to settle for Cowon's stock music app.  I have Winamp, Rockbox, and the Amazon Cloud Player on mine. Surely one will have a UI you can figure out. 

The Amazon cloud player for example answers #2 for you.  Pick an artist and the next level is the Albums that artist is in. You can list that same info by Song if you want.  From Albums the next step is Songs.  If you listed by Songs the next step is the Now Playing screen.

#4's solution is the music widget. Pin it to one or all the home pages, and you can leave it with whatever song you played last. Or install Winamp and you'll get a chance to pin a Winamp playlist (with one or many songs in it) to a home page.

My point is that with a little patience you can configure most android devices to act exactly like you want them to.  

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #263 of 479
I have to disagree with most folks impression of the D3. I am quite pleased with it so far. Of course the quality of sound is great as I use FLAC files and they are a nice compliment to my JH13s and Rooth 8 driver custom IEMs. Also I watch vids, and it is nice that it plays just about any vid codec i load on it. And the screen is great!. The lag is not THAT bad, or as bad as people are saying. I will play around more with the android part of it later, but so far so good. And the weight is great, light as a feather MAN!

BTW - what kind of Micro SD card would be good to buy for it to expand my music beyond the 32 GB capability? Will  the SDHC work?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #266 of 479
Thank you that was very helpful. In your opinion what is the best of the three custom players available? Do they support the equalizer?

@ Scoog
I have a Cowon D3 32Gb with an additional 32 GB Sandisk MicroSD HC. It works flawlessly and has faster transfer speeds than the player itself. If you buy a 32Gb MicroSD make sure you are certain that it is compatible with the D3. Many 32Gb MicroSDs don't play nice with particular phones/mp3 players because it is relatively new technology. Big name brands such as Sandisk are usually fine.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #267 of 479

Quote:
Thank you that was very helpful. In your opinion what is the best of the three custom players available? Do they support the equalizer?

@ Scoog
I have a Cowon D3 32Gb with an additional 32 GB Sandisk MicroSD HC. It works flawlessly and has faster transfer speeds than the player itself. If you buy a 32Gb MicroSD make sure you are certain that it is compatible with the D3. Many 32Gb MicroSDs don't play nice with particular phones/mp3 players because it is relatively new technology. Big name brands such as Sandisk are usually fine.

HI Non Applicable - Thanks for the detailed info So it sounds like the Sandisk MicroSD HC if I buy it I am safe. But I notice there are many different versions. Could you provide a link to the exact one you are using.... maybe a link from amazon?

Thanks again.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #268 of 479
Quote:

Amazon Cloud player is my fav at the moment.  Rockbox would be next, with Winamp following.  The Jeteffect/BBE settings are universal across all app.  You just have to go Home, and then into Settings>Sound Settings>JetEffect to change them. The music from any of the apps will keep playing while you do, and you can hear what the effects do to the output.   

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #269 of 479
I would like to expand my D3 by adding a micro SD. From what I can tell it sounds like the Sandisk MicroSD HC is a good match for the D3 but I noticed during my search there are many different versions. Could someone provide a link to the exact one you are using.... maybe a link from amazon? 32gb or 16 gb would be great!

Thank you in advance.

Skoog

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #270 of 479
I would like to try Rockbox but I don't understand how to install it on the D3. On their site it says it isn't supported, however I know it is compatible because people are talking about it on the net. How do I get the APK file?

Edit: I think I figured it out. You are using the unofficial AndroidPort right? Do they update this port? It seems new or I'm downloading and old version.
Edit 2: So the dynamic resolution download didn't work so I'm now using the Prebuilt 480X800
Edit 3: Wow, rockbox has a very poor interface and many bugs. Can you link me the amazon cloud player? Can seem to find it.

@skoog
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=32gb+microsdhc+card&tag=googhydr-20&index=electronics&hvadid=7141795125&ref=pd_sl_74hy4o3xxk_b

Those are what my Micro SD cards look like. If you look carefully, there will be a number circled somewhere on the the SD. This refers the speed you can write information to the MicroSD and speed(in your case the D3) you can read that information from the MicroSD. The higher the number, the faster it reads and writes. You wont have to worry about reading speeds with players/phones, anything above a two(the MicroSD standard) will work flawlessly. The class only matters for how fast you want you files copied over to the MicroSD. I have a class 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back