Cowon D3 Plenue. Review. With Photos.
Mar 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #212 of 479

Markedly different?  No.
32gb microSDHC? Yes.
Only worth getting over a J3 if you want Wifi access and all that comes with it.

Quote:
I wanna get this to get a different more developed sound than my J3 cause I like collecting different players. It looks like it would go with Vinyl club music with the sd cards (can these be 32G?). Would the sound fit? Or maybe I don't need it cause I have the J3. Is the sound markedly different?

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #215 of 479
dreamthinker, what age do you have?.... if you are over 20, you can just buy it like a child, without wondering so much, and test it yourself... you can fiind buyers if you sell at a reduced cost with 50$.... so it would be a beggining.... i was wondering a lot about j3 when i first saw it... as in my country the money one wins is not a really thing compared to america... so i had to be careful... but after all, i would die incomplete if i would not see myself how good is something like this,...

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #216 of 479
Well, I just got my D3, and suffice to say, my experiences have been mixed. Firstly, yeah, it's slow right after bootup. I have an Android phone, and it has that same lag right after you turn it on. My guess is that Android does all that "house-keeping" stuff, like syncing, checking for updates etc during startup and it bogs the device down. For my D3, I just switch it on and don't touch it for a few minutes - until it settles down
biggrin.gif
 Having said that, the UI is still a bit laggy. There is a noticeable delay between pressing the on-screen buttons and the response. The same thing also when pressing the 3 buttons on the bottom of the player (the Return, Settings & the Home key). Sometimes it takes multiple presses before I get a response. I can only hope that it's software related, not hardware. Android is notoriously unforgiving on wimpy hardware (CPU and ram).

I updated to the latest firmware X.31 firmware (mine was 4.31 btw). Software stability is still not quite there, yet. Skipping to the next song sometimes causes stuttering in music playback. Heck, for no particular reason that I can discern, in normal shuffle play some songs do stutter in the beginning before settling down. It's like what happens in the older HD based players when you accidentally bump or knock the player. Fortunately, it doesn't happen all that often, but it's still often enough to bug me. On the other hand, it does seem "shuffle" play REALLY does work, at least I've been hearing different or "new" songs that I've never heard of in my S9 & J3. Heh, my D2, S9 & even the J3 all have a propensity to play back the same series of songs, "shuffle" play notwithstanding. The D3 doesn't seem to have this "bug" during my music listening.

And yeah, I've learnt to keep a safety pin handy. The player has froze on me several times...when playing music, and several times when playing video. And it didn't just freeze...the player got really, and I do mean really hot while in the frozen state. The screen goes black, and all buttons are un-responsive. Only the safety pin in the reset hole worked. That's just not cool (pardon the pun
biggrin.gif
)

Charging the player is also finicky. Apparently, only the supplied charger can reliably charge the player. It can only charge from USB only when it's in "sleep mode". If you plug it into your PC's USB port and play with your phone, it doesn't charge. Now I have plenty of devices, and it is the first time I come across this "feature". Heck, even my Android phone charges when connected via USB and I'm mucking around with it.

The reason I try to overlook all these is that the SQ is really, really, good. In fact, I can pretty say with confidence that it probably has the best SQ among all the players I have. As a point of comparison, the S9 & the J3 sound pretty much the same. I certainly couldn't tell them apart blind-folded. The D3 is audibly superior, to my ears. The highs are crisper, and the bass is tight and goes deep. There is a spaciousness in the music that is only apparent if you listen to the J3 and then quickly switch to the D3 with the same music. The J3 sounds "mushy" in comparison. I use a JH13 as my earphones btw, and it's quite revealing on any change in your audio chain.

All in all, the D3 does show promise. The awesome SQ does go some way to compensate for its numerous flaws, but I do hope that Cowon will keep pumping out those firmware updates to polish it further. And yeah, regarding those firmware updates...please resist the temptation to add anymore apps until you fix the stability of the D3!

**Appendum**
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the USB transfer speed was slow. Man, filling up my 16GB was an excercise in patience. The J3 was a speed demon compared to the D3.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #217 of 479
You might want to try 1.33.   The other *.33's will be out sometime this week. I don't notice the music hesitance at all now. There is a Task Manager widget in 1.33 that I keep on my home page and it makes it easy to shut down apps that have started themselves up.  Close everything except the app or two you are actually using and performance gets quite zippy. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #222 of 479

Quote:
One of the reasons (apart from the (relatively) slow processing speed) i don't buy it yet, is that i am to lazy to update it every week....

Yet not too lazy to repeatedly pester everyone with questions?
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #223 of 479
Hi guys, first time poster here. I'm looking at the D3 to replace my Sony NWZ-X 1060 which was involuntarily removed from my possession by an uninvited late night visitor to my home and would like to know how the D3 handles podcasts, can you subscribe directly to feeds using the wireless connection? how does the D3 store podcasts? ie is there a separate folder/directory or are they in the general music area(s)?

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #225 of 479
Hi Saberman, and welcome! 

I have the Sony, and the podcast app is one of the few great features it has. Sadly I've encountered nothing else that does podcasts as well, natively out of the box.  The D3 has Genre search in the music app, and that may find any podcasts you might have installed yourself, assuming they've been tagged as podcasts. Copoed to the D3 youself you can put them anywhere you want and the D3's Music app will find them.  I'd make a specific folder called Podcasts under Media though, with each different podcasts in its own subfolder. You get to decide how to store them.

It is also an android device, and although I haven't gone looking for one I'll bet there is a Podcast app for android that would work. I know there are a few dedicated apps for some of the big podcast networks.  Twit.tv comes to mind.

The D3 is also supposed to be getting an update to android 2.3 in April.  At least a strong rumors says so. Might be an early "April Fools" joke though.

4D
Quote:
Hi guys, first time poster here. I'm looking at the D3 to replace my Sony NWZ-X 1060 which was involuntarily removed from my possession by an uninvited late night visitor to my home and would like to know how the D3 handles podcasts, can you subscribe directly to feeds using the wireless connection? how does the D3 store podcasts? ie is there a separate folder/directory or are they in the general music area(s)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back