Cowon D2 > Hornet > DT 770 Pro
May 26, 2007 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DoubleEs

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Nano 1st gen, playing tracks in MP3 format. I'm now in the market for a new MP3 player as I'm now encoding a lot of my music into ogg rather than MP3.

As you know, the ipod can't play ogg file, hence the need to buy a new player. I've been looking at the Cowon range of players and have narrowed it down to either the X30L or the D2.

Ultimately, I'll probably go for the D2, my question is, will the D2 go well with the above combo?

May 26, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 19
it can play ogg if you rockbox it

May 27, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 19
D2 does not have a true line-out (although future firmware updates may enable the TV out as a line-out with an adaptor), so using an external amp won't make much of a difference.

May 27, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2 does not have a true line-out (although future firmware updates may enable the TV out as a line-out with an adaptor), so using an external amp won't make much of a difference.

A friend of mine tested with amp, and if i remember this correctly, he said that volume 49 and all EQ bands set to 0 gave a better line out than the real line out on the x5 or something...

May 27, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 19
Yes, that's the statement from Cowon's help desk. A volume level of 49 comes really close to a true line-out. For me, the D2's "fake" line-out sounds better than the "real" one on my X5 (rolled off in the bass octaves).

I'm using both my D2 and X5 with a DT770/80, and it sounds great. I don't really need an amp with it, the DT's are efficient enough on-the-go - but maybe the original poster meant DT770/250's.

The D2's Wolfson chip sounds a tad brighter than the X5's Texas Instrument DAC, but since Cowon has one of the best EQ/BBE enhancements sections on the portable market, it's easy customizing the sound exactly like one wants to hear it.

May 27, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraEvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i know, the D2 doesn't benefit from amping.

It does for me.

May 27, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks guys for the input, I've also been doing a lot of reading, and I'm happy to say the D2 have been ordered
smily_headphones1.gif

@dfkt, thanks for the info, and It is the DT770/80 I'll be hooking it up to
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine tested with amp, and if i remember this correctly, he said that volume 49 and all EQ bands set to 0 gave a better line out than the real line out on the x5 or something...

Yep, not a surprise as someone performed a measurement test comparing the D2's HP out with the iPod lineout IIRC, and the results were quite close. This is with the D2's vol. output @ 49 & with all EQ settings off.

May 28, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 19
I still hear difference, though, the iPod line-out coming out on top. But that's really nitpicking since we're discussing a HP out vs a line-out ;D

Just wanted to emphasize again that the EQ should be at 0 (or "off") as mentioned above. Someone over at iAudiophile got the suggestion from Cowon to set the EQ to lowest setting at -12 and a volume of 49. I tried it and the -12 setting wreaks havoc on the sound and is far from the flat sounds one would hope to get out of a line out which is what we're trying to get close to.

May 28, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still hear difference, though, the iPod line-out coming out on top. But that's really nitpicking since we're discussing a HP out vs a line-out ;D

Just wanted to emphasize again that the EQ should be at 0 (or "off") as mentioned above. Someone over at iAudiophile got the suggestion from Cowon to set the EQ to lowest setting at -12 and a volume of 49. I tried it and the -12 setting wreaks havoc on the sound and is far from the flat sounds one would hope to get out of a line out which is what we're trying to get close to.

yeah the -12 crap isn't good ive heard... not surprising. I also saw the test that was referred to here, and the D2's fake line out came VERY close to the real thing.

May 28, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 19
ahoy captn´ iam a iaudiophile user too...

yes the -12 EQ crap is rely not a good idea...

the HP out on the d2 is actualy a veryvery good linout like RMAA shows!

the d2 totaly benefits from a good amp! if you wonna use some high impedance earphones!

May 29, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #14 of 19
But I still insist that it still sounds very 'fun' without an amp.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 19
I have a question. I got a D2 for christmas. I am very interested in exploring my portable amp options to go along with the D2. I was happy to hear that the 49 / flat eq tested to be a pretty decent line out.

I think I'll be getting some SPF5 Pros soon and wonder what might be my best choice for a DIY portable amp. I am fairly new to head-fi. I have done a lot of DIY audio stuff in the past, just not for portable audio - the complexity of the project can be high, I just need help choosing the right one.

Is the Mini³ a good choice?

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back