Couple of general questions
Apr 14, 2005 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chaostic

Head-Fier
How would I go about using multiple caps in the place of one cap (Like using multiple batteries in series to increase the voltage, I need to increase the uF by using multiple caps)?

How good is Bell Wire or Cat 5 wire as lead wire inside an amp?

And can anyone recommend a good, cheap 10 led VU meter that runs off 9 volts that I can hook up with a cMoy?

Would anyone be willing to trade a nice pair or two of stereo 1/8 mini males which work good with Cat 5 cable or stereo 1/8 mini females for a OPA627AP? I want 4 of the males, but need 2, and need 2 of the females. If you only have either the males or the females, I'm okay with that, aslong as they are of good quality.

--
Is it possible to use a 4 channel op amp in the A47, or would that degrade the quality?
--

Edit: A47 question

TIA.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 5
10 LEDs is definately out if battery life is a concern.Even low current leds add up and ten is a lot,especially when combined with the LMxxx VU meter chip.

Bell wire no.Cat-5 yes.

Quote:

How would I go about using multiple caps in the place of one cap (Like using multiple batteries in series to increase the voltage, I need to increase the uF by using multiple caps)?

not a problem.Best bet is to parallel the same type and value until you reach your target uF

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
10 LEDs is definately out if battery life is a concern.Even low current leds add up and ten is a lot,especially when combined with the LMxxx VU meter chip.

Bell wire no.Cat-5 yes.

not a problem.Best bet is to parallel the same type and value until you reach your target uF

So I need to parallel the caps? Okay, 2 sets of 6 120uf 330v caps in parralel it is. So much for having 2 9volts in the tin, but it will be a beast to see.

And bell wire is no go? It tends to work for my other projects (All non audio though). And seeing how bell wire is used for telephones, I would have thought... But I thought wrong. Thank god for free Cat 5e wires.

And the VU meter I had plan on only turn on when running of a brick.

Apr 15, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostic
Okay, 2 sets of 6 120uf 330v caps in parralel it is. So much for having 2 9volts in the tin, but it will be a beast to see.

Why 330v caps? Tin? I am guessing you are not referring to a mint tin. 1 120uF/330V cap won't even fit.

You can use bell wire or any wire you want for that matter, but it will probably sound like crap.

Apr 15, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 5
is the VU meter for serious monitoring of the signal or just something "cool' to add ?

If for signal monitoring then you want to use these :

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3916.html

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3915.html

If just for something to look at then maybe you could try this instead :

http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM4970.pdf

One of those little "do nothings" that have zip to do with sound but still looks cool !

I build a LED color organ with one using a radio shack mic capsule .It sits next to my "lava lamp"
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back