Coupld of questions about the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC3
Sep 25, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteZr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're ~$60 and I'm looking for noise canceling headphones
I gave my friend my ER6i headphones so I'm in the process of looking for a fitting replacement.

Where are the questions?

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, they may be worth $60, but do you really need ANC? In my experience ANC cans usually have much poorer sound quality per dollar than passive noise-suppressing IEMs. They may possibly isolate as much or more than the Er6i from constant, repetitive noises (such as the hum of airplane engines), but I doubt they will provide better all-around isolation.

I don't know what you consider 'value', so I cannot make any suggestions. All I can say is that my Ety Er-4s sound better and isolate more than any ANC headphones I've ever encountered.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 11
I'm trying not to spend more than $60+shipping
I gave my friend my old ER6i cuz they made my ear canals itch a lot.
I don't need ANC, but I'm looking for good noise cancellation, but comfort is important to me.
I'm looking for isolation on both side.
For me to be able to listen to somewhat loud, and not to disturb others. And for me to be able to walk around town/campus without a lot of outside noise.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 11
You definitely don't need ANC for that. There are tons of great options for under $60 (and many threads listing them). To narrow it down a bit, what did and what didn't you like about the sound of the Er6i?

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 11
tbh, I didn't really like the ER6i much
It did sound better than the old Sonys I was using before, but they made my ear canals itch cuz they had to be so far down in there to make a good seal, and the foams weren't comfortable either. Thats the thing I mainly didn't like.
I also didn't like how easily the wire would tangle up on itself. Not that big of an issue really, but annoying when it did happen.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteZr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tbh, I didn't really like the ER6i much
It did sound better than the old Sonys I was using before, but they made my ear canals itch cuz they had to be so far down in there to make a good seal, and the foams weren't comfortable either. Thats the thing I mainly didn't like.
I also didn't like how easily the wire would tangle up on itself. Not that big of an issue really, but annoying when it did happen.

Er6i (like all Etymotic IEMs) are deep-insertion, which many people find uncomfortable. Since you still haven't stated your sound preferences, here's what you should be looking at IMO. Reviews are easy to find for all of them, and the right one for you will depend on personal preferences.

Nuforce NE-6 ($39+shipping)
Apple Dual Drivers (ADDIEMS) ($35-40 on ebay)
Head-Direct RE2 ($39+shipping)
Soundmagic PL50 ($55)
MEElectronics Ai-M6 ($40)
Maximo Im-590 ($50)
Radiopaq Jazz (about £40+shipping)

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm looking for a good all around sound
I pretty much listen to all kinds of music, and I'm still in the process of exploring other genres I haven't discovered yet.
I am hoping for something with a bit more bass than the ER6i
My source is an unamped D2
But my priority is isolation and comfort.

Sep 26, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 11
The Maximo Im-590s are currently the best all-arounders IMO. They offer the best combination of balanced sound, isolation, and comfort. The Soundmagic PL50s are extremely light, small, and comfortable. They also benefit hugely (in my experience) from aftermarket tips and have a much more laid-back sound with somewhat weaker bass. The NE-6's are the opposite - they are still good all-arounders but have a very strong bass response.

The Ai-M6 used to have really bad cables, but they have just been updated with a (reportedly) hugely improved cable. I have a feeling that with nicer cables they may become my new favourite budget earphones because they do sound incredible for the price - strong bass, huge detail, great extension. The Apple Dual-Drivers and RE2's are also very detailed headphones, but the bass is not a huge improvement on the Er6i, so you may want to skip them.

Lastly, the Radiopaq Jazz, which might be a bit of challenge to get your hands on, are extremely smooth and warm-sounding and offer the deepest bass of the bunch. I needed to use aftermarket foam tips to get good fit and isolation with them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back