Count Basie
Jan 6, 2003 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

elipsis

500+ Head-Fier
I ain't no jazz fan, but I borrowed a "best of" Basie CD from my old man, and I love it.

How well known is this guy? And what albums should I be on the look out for?

Jan 6, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 12
I have Basie Meets Bond, which I found in the bargain bin at Newbury Comics (Boston area music store) for about $8. It's not the best music -- pretty shallow and not all that technically special. But it keeps my feet tapping and that's what counts -- and that particular CD is very funny since Basie is playing all the classic Bond tunes.

Jan 7, 2003 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Look for some of the old Pablo releases from the 70s. You won't be dissapointed. I saw him live 3 times. Kicked ass. Louis Bellson's "Explosion" is a keeper for sure!

Jan 8, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Classic Basie is from the 30-40's, especially when Lester Young was in the band. You should also try "Basie!," otherwise known as "Atomic Basie" (there's a picture of an atomic mushroom on the cover). This comes from the 1950s, and despite being mono it sounds great and swings.

Jan 9, 2003 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Count Basie is my all time favorite swing band leader. He and his linemen were excellent in every respect and they could swing like few others. Personally, I like Basie better than Ellington. Basie's rhythm section is known as the All American Rhythm Section. Their time keeping is discrete and sublime. Basie's trademark is not brilliant virtuosity, though he is by means no slouch on the piano, but first and foremost, a simple spare use of just a few notes to create a catchy, rhythmically intriguing melody that will keep you on your feet and tapping your toes. It's his trademark style
smily_headphones1.gif
His linemen are equally amazing in their own right. Freddie Green, Lester Young, John Clayton, Jo Jones, and Clark Terry, to just a few of the older and younger mix. Many of them were instrumental in the development of the use of their instruments.

I recommend the Duke Ellington meets Count Basie album.
This cd has these two giants working together and swinging like crazy. You get to hear both bands for the price of one!
wink.gif
No Cootie Williams in the Ellington band at the time being, though. This recording was also historic in a minor way, for those familiar with Ellington's band. Reading the liner notes was great fun!

Also, any recordings with Count Basie and the Kansas City 6 or 7 are awesome. The small group recordings show off much more of their improvisational talents than do the big band recordings. A good high quality cut of Lester Leaps In is an absolute must!

How well known is Count Basie? Well consider him to be among the at least the top 3 best known. Off the top of my head, I would name the Duke, the Count, and Benny Goodman to be the best respected band leaders in swing.

Jan 9, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 12
I've yet to hear a Butch Miles recording. So far, I've only listened to his older records
tongue.gif
I'll put that on the top of my to do list
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
I've yet to hear a Butch Miles recording. So far, I've only listened to his older records
tongue.gif
I'll put that on the top of my to do list
wink.gif

Evidently he's currently touring with the current lineup of the Basie Band as well.

Jan 10, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 12
I know
wink.gif

I haven't heard the current basie band.

Jan 12, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 12
I like the Count Meets Duke album, tracked down an original copy because the purple border remastering from the 80s blows, but I think its a bit longer on showmanship than musicianship.

My favorite Basie album is April in Paris from the early 60s. As an added bonus, it's been issued in audiophile editions.

And not to be neglected: his albums with Frank.

Jan 12, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
I know
wink.gif

I haven't heard the current basie band.

Is there still a ghost band? I haven't seen or heard anything about it for years.

Jan 12, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 12
the basie band is still going strong.

The count meets duke record is also out on sacd. I was thinking about picking it up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back