Could it be...5G distortion free?
Dec 30, 2005 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

etys rule

1000+ Head-Fier
I have tried and tried, but I cannot get my 5G to distort. I ripped 25 CD's ALAC and am using the Acoustic EQ setting. Can't get the thing to distort. My test CD I am using is The Mars Volta, Frances the Mute, using e5c's and Ety ER-4P's. I have tried EVERY EQ setting (Bass Boost, Acoustic, and so on), and nothing, nada, zip. Could I be this lucky? I am using a Pocketdock to a GoVibe amp, and I have the amp around 11 o'clock. I have brought up the volume, and still no distortion.

Has anyone else noticed distortion, and if so, what was the configuration you were using? Which amp, if any? What volume settings, what EQ settings?

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 15
Only slight distortion with 128 and 156 mp3's pre mp3gain, since I have now re-ripped my entire cd collection to 320aac and aacgained them all.

I now have a clear crisp sound no matter what the eq setting, though i either have it on electronic or r&b.

And this is with MX500's can't wait to get my e2c's and hear it!

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 15
I will still get distortion if I play something with thumping bass--any type of boost in the bass will distort the bass, but it's not as bad as the 4G.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Indeed the 5G is a hell of a lot better than the 4G. However, it still distorts with extreme bass heavy material. I LOVE the fact the hard drive hiss is now competely gone.

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 15
Well, there are a bunch of songs that distort on my 5G iPod and not on my HD5 after eq. The only eq on iPod that doesn't distort is....flat. Anyways, I don't believe in mp3 gaining my entire collection because there is a very good chance that I'll get a new player of some other brand. It's too much hassle; I would rather just be "flat".

Dec 31, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 15
Really??? Play some heavy techno , that should help you find some distortion , cant use the eq at all. Its not horrible but....well actually its pretty horrible with some bass intense music.

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 15
I have 320aac and 320 lame rips on my 30g with genres from hard house/techno to classical and every genre inbetween with mp3gain at 89 on all and volume tweak to +40 I have no distortion whatsoever. Not a single second on a single track, even on the deep growly bass of renegade records, or the hard bass of some John the dentist mixes.

Jan 6, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 15
Mine does distort depending on the song of course, but I can tell you that the 5G does sound much better than the 4G that I also have.

I have a new'er G4 Powerbook and when I play the same song (AAC 320kbps) using just iTunes/Grado SR125, the sound quality is better on the Powerbook than the same file played on my 5G. If the iPod was only as good as the PB!

Cletus

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 6, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 15
i only get distortion when i EQ newer rock/electronic recordings with overwrought bass that are mastered way too hot (as engineers seem to love these days). and even then, it's not so bad.

of course, i find the unequalized output of the 5G to be good enough that i almost never use EQ.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fella
after mp3gain?

No distortion after MP3Gain.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 15
If only I could mp3gain ALAC files.....
mad.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 15
Pardon if I sound horribly noobish for asking, but aren't MP3Gain and iTunes's Sound Check performing basically the same function (gain adjustment to avoid clipping)? If that's the case, then you need only enable Sound Check to get the benefits of gain adjustment.

Jan 7, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbyrd
Pardon if I sound horribly noobish for asking, but aren't MP3Gain and iTunes's Sound Check performing basically the same function (gain adjustment to avoid clipping)? If that's the case, then you need only enable Sound Check to get the benefits of gain adjustment.

If you do a search or try it yourself you will find that Sound Check makes all your music sound like a wet sponge. It uses peak-analysis & flattens out the frequencies. MP3Gain or iVolume (Mac only, DOES ALAC http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/ ) use a different method (see here http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/ ) with better sounding results, in fact results that do not affect the sound at all.
So you are right, the function is the same. The results are not.

BTW I take the hit & have iTunes analyze my music with Sound Check again, maybe it has been enhanced by now. I doubt it.

EDIT: I see iTunes seemingly has Sound Check analyze CDs upon ripping them now, as I can just turn it on despite not having used it in years. Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back