Could I get an isolation headphone (in-ear) recommendation?
Apr 20, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

gohanssjn

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the place to ask, so if this needs to be moved, please feel free
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried a set of Shure SE110's over the weekend, but either they had problems, or my laptop does (and I assume the later). At low volumes, they fuzzed out completely, into crackling (I actually do assume this to be laptop 'noise', but none of my other headphones exhibit this behavior). However, with my other headphones, I use my laptop at about 75% volume, but for this pair of Shures, 25%+ was too much to bear. But the isolation was GREAT on them!

I am looking for a set of isolating ear-buds, preferably foam. I am to use them during exams wit 100+ people typing, so this is a must. I would like to keep under $200, but would love to stay at $100 (I got the SE110's at target on clearance for $69.99, thus the testing).

I am not interested in active noise-cancellation, just to muddy for me.

Thanks for any help, I am lost in ear-bud world, I usually use my cans.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 26
IMO, you have got two main options: Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro or Super.Fi 5 EB
The difference between the two is one driver unit. Both have two drivers, one for trebles and one for bass..but on the EB, one of the drivers is diaphragm, so it delivers more full bass..
Most people say that 5 Pro's bass is less present, but much more precise, and still very present comparing to other IEMs
I personally would go for the 5 Pro

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 26
The ER6i's look interesting, but if I am worried about extra noise from the laptop, won't those pick it up as well (a lot of reviews say they put out a lot of sound at low volumes, like the SE110's seemed to do)?

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 26
Any decent canalphone (Head-Direct RE2s, Denon 551, etc.) under $100 will be turned into a much more isolating in-ear phone by using Comply T400 foamies with them, rather than the standard silicone tips that come with most canalphones. No comparison to me. Get some RE2s or 551s (read about them on Head-Fi), and some Complys, and you won't hear much ambient sound.

The RE2s are new phones by Head-Direct, and they are being sold for $80 to head-fi buyers. They may be $119 or higher when that deal ends on 4/26.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gohanssjn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER6i's look interesting, but if I am worried about extra noise from the laptop, won't those pick it up as well (a lot of reviews say they put out a lot of sound at low volumes, like the SE110's seemed to do)?

er6i has the added cost of filters, which are $15 for 5 pair. When I owned the er6i, seems I had to change filters more than I expected. They sound darn good, but are very small IEMs with a very thin wire.

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 26
I've only had the UE Super-Fi 5 Pro and they sound good and isolate fairly well with the Comply T400 tips. I found the original cables uncomfortable so I switched to Westones ES2 which was kind of a pain but worth it in the end.
There are reviews up above for Head-Direct's RE2 IEM and they seem to be worth looking into for the $80 group buy price.
I had the ER6i for about a week and sold them, damned if I remember why. They're very good for acoustic/jazz but don't have much bottom IIRC so I don't know how they'd do for rock, etc., best to do a search for more info if you're going to go this route.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 26
So, for the price, it seems the ER6i's may be my best bet. Anyone know of a any good information on them? I like to make informed purchases
biggrin.gif
. But for 74.99 now, they look great.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 26
If your main objective is isolation, I find the the Etymotic triflange is one of the best (if not the best).

However in case you are not familiar with them, Etymotic sound signature is reputed to be have small sound stage, cold, metallic, detailed and analytical sounding. They have a lot of treble energy and lean bottom end. But they respond to EQ very well, and you can tweak their sound to your taste (within reasonable limit). Not for bass head.

Personally I don't like it's sound signature, but I like the fact that once I apply a little bass boost and bring down the treble a bit they are very nice for me. Of course YMMV. try it first if possible. If you can spring it, get the ER4P which is under $200, they are considered as one of the best universal IEM (that is, if you like them).

As for Ultimate Ears, their sound signature is more to the "fun" type. Some people don't like the way they fit. As usual try first if possible to see it if you like the fit and the sound. I've tried the Super.fi 3, Super.fi 5, and the Triple.fi 10. They sound very similar to me, with the emphasize on the high and then the low and then the middle (in that order, for me anyway), with the sound getting smoother and more detailed as you go up the price ladder.

There are also the Westone UM1 and the various Jays.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 26
What about Denon AH-C551K In-Ear Headphone's? I saw the 351's at Target and like the size, and the 551's look to be a nice price on Amazon. Anyone use them before?

Also, I see E2c's and E2c-n's on Amazon for a good price, any difference in the two?

And looking over my budget again, I may try to stay sub $100. See what i can get now for that. Once I get out of law school maybe I can spring for a really nice set that's a custom fit or something, but for now...gotta watch it I suppose.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gohanssjn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Denon AH-C551K In-Ear Headphone's? I saw the 351's at Target and like the size, and the 551's look to be a nice price on Amazon. Anyone use them before?

Also, I see E2c's and E2c-n's on Amazon for a good price, any difference in the two?

And looking over my budget again, I may try to stay sub $100. See what i can get now for that. Once I get out of law school maybe I can spring for a really nice set that's a custom fit or something, but for now...gotta watch it I suppose.

I bought those and they sound great. The bass is great, but they probably don't isolate that much as the ER6i's.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 26
Denon C551s are terrific! I picked up a pair last week and could not be happier. Pretty good isolation though not to the level of something like the Etys. When music is playing you will not likely hear the typing- at least I do not hear myself typing right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back