Costco or Sam's Club
May 11, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 38
Didn't answer since where I'm from, the choice is completely broken down by major party lines. To me it's the same thing as asking which party I vote for.

May 12, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #18 of 38
Costco has excellent service and, in my experience, superior quality products. Their food products are amazing and generally superior to what you'll find at most local supermarkets. They won't carry junk. Sam's Club is only 5 minutes away vs. 15 for Costco but it's well worth the extra drive.

May 12, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 38
Costco has good customer service, perhaps the very best of any big-box-member-type store. They have very liberal return policies, but unless you need a gallon of mayo or a quart of pickles, some things can be found cheaper elsewhere. The quality of their stock and in-store brand is very good though. I prefer Costco over Sam's and try to avoid going there on a Saturday...too busy and crowded. Membership fee is pretty much worth the money.

May 12, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #22 of 38
I'd keep a Costco membership if only for the tire service. They are consistently cheaper than any other shop for the same tires, and they take very good care of you if you have any issues with them.

Not everything in Costco is a good deal, for sure. Even their gas, used to be $.03-.05 cheaper than the lowest stations in town, and now they are merely at parity. But if you shop carefully you can save quite a bit. And the easy returns are very useful as well.

I've never been in Sams, but I despise Walmart, so I probably never will.

May 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #23 of 38
I have only had limited experience with Sam's Club, but my family has held an "Executive membership" at the local Costco for quite a while. We use Costco a lot because we are a big family that eats a lot, and buying bulk makes a lot of sense. From my experience, Costco customer service is amazing, and they will return almost anything no questions asked. Friends of ours bought a water trampoline which got a hole in it 2 or so months later. They took it to back to Costco who immediately gave them a new one without any hassle. My family's Exec. membership gives us a better discount on our purchases, but if we do not make enough purchases in a year to make having an Exec. membership worthwhile, they downgrade us at the end of the year (same thing, but less membership fee). I have also found that while Costco often does not have the lowest prices on groceries, they instead have good prices on higher quality products, meaning you get a good price on good stuff as opposed to the cheap stuff in a grocery store. Personally, I love Costco, but for a couple who may not need to buy in bulk often, and who may want to find the cheapest prices, its probably not the place to go.

May 13, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
COSTCO is much closer and I love their Italian sausage.

So you had to go there didn't ya, damned Italians.
biggrin.gif

Another Costco fan after being in both. I like the food choices better at Costco but I haven't been there since last year. Had to buy out the roses on my way home for Ms Camper's anniversary. They saved my butt being open late and having five dozen roses to cover the bedroom.

May 13, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #26 of 38
I like costco way better than sams club. Not to mention, up in Kirkland wa. there is a costco home store featuring highend furniture, rugs, electronics etc for cheaper than I can find anywhere.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #27 of 38
Costco seems to be a nicer place to shop. That being said, careful that the membership cost is offset by what you plan on buying. Don't forget that if you need a jar of mayo... it comes in gallon jugs at both.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a side note, I once had costco batteries melt and destroy a $1800 mic preamp. Costco bought me a new one, so I'm a member for life.

This put a chill down my spine, though it's awesome that they replaced it, how'd you manage that? On topic, I'm going to go with Costco, It just seems to be better for food than BJs or Sam's Club.Though it's been a while since I've been to Sam's Club, I remember it being more disorganized than Costco also, Maybe it was just me. Oh and you can't forget those berry smoothies at Costco's food mart.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #29 of 38
there's a new costco here opening and they accept foodstamps.
might have to take a look and probably use my brother's membership.
I was shocked to hear that Costco is a "luxury" brand/store to some and it's middle class to upper class. whatever.

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #30 of 38
In Canada we only have Costco so of course had to vote for Costco. I bought a Viewsonic 26" HDTV from Costco and it got uneven image wear on the screen from using 4:3 ratio too much and Costco gave me a refund even though I had it for 6 months already. That's good customer service. Any other store I would have been refused unless I paid for an extended warranty and would have to send it back to the manufacturer at my cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back