Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jul 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2,326 of 5,310
I want to get BA4F so badly but I don't know if I should send in my impressions now since Cosmic is on vacation till the end of the month, right? :frowning2:

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2,327 of 5,310
Any ideas how long it would take to get from the us to sweden anyway?  You could time it so it gets there after they come back.  You've got to wait anyway so maybe you could save a bit of cash in postage?

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #2,328 of 5,310
Mine took about 2 weeks to reach Sweden, shipped from Toronto. If you're not in a major urban centre it might be a day or so longer.

For those of you in North America and already have yours, did you get raped by customs? I'm worried :frowning2:

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,329 of 5,310
Mine took about 2 weeks to reach Sweden, shipped from Toronto. If you're not in a major urban centre it might be a day or so longer.

For those of you in North America and already have yours, did you get raped by customs? I'm worried :frowning2:
I don't think we have to pay custom fees here in the u.s. I order things from South Korea and other countries all the time and have never paid a dime in custom fees.

@dave, good idea! It would suck if it got there but no one were there to receive it though.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #2,330 of 5,310
Quote:
I don't think we have to pay custom fees here in the u.s. I order things from South Korea and other countries all the time and have never paid a dime in custom fees.

@dave, good idea! It would suck if it got there but no one were there to receive it though.

My impressions are still at the postal office in Sweden, they have been there for about two weeks now.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #2,331 of 5,310
Hey guys, can you help me out here, i am saving for a new pair of CIEMS and i so far have narrowed them down to the UERM and the BA4. Can anyone tell me whats the difference between both? Thank youssss :DDDDD.

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2,332 of 5,310

Well, actually that depends on the nominal price. So ear impressions, which should be fairly inexpensive even to consider a fee for the audiologist, is most likely not going to cost you a hefty taxes.

FYI, I live in South Korea and order things from US, China, Singapore and so on. Hehe.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2,333 of 5,310
My impressions are still at the postal office in Sweden, they have been there for about two weeks now.

I assume your using some sort of tracker. If so don't bet on it. Mine stayed on "delivery unsuccessful" for about 2 days so emailed Phil to check. He was a bit puzzled as to why they'd done that as his wife had signed for the box on the wednesday at 9:30 "apparantly swedish post is strange" was the comment :)

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2,334 of 5,310
Well, actually that depends on the nominal price. So ear impressions, which should be fairly inexpensive even to consider a fee for the audiologist, is most likely not going to cost you a hefty taxes.

FYI, I live in South Korea and order things from US, China, Singapore and so on. Hehe.

Well yes impressions are cheap... but it's the actual CIEMs I'm worried about. Mind you CE is very cheap compared to other CIEM companies but my HY3 will still be worth over $300 so if I get hit with customs it will be a significant amount.

It's probably better if you're buying from within Asia, right? As far as I know EU countries don't have to worry about tarrifs when the product is coming from Sweden. But Europe to North America might be a different story...

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,335 of 5,310
Well yes impressions are cheap... but it's the actual CIEMs I'm worried about. Mind you CE is very cheap compared to other CIEM companies but my HY3 will still be worth over $300 so if I get hit with customs it will be a significant amount.

It's probably better if you're buying from within Asia, right? As far as I know EU countries don't have to worry about tarrifs when the product is coming from Sweden. But Europe to North America might be a different story...

Ya, it is true that we Koreans have Free Trade Agreement with EU, so it is most likely that we won't have to pay any tariffs, especially for CIEMs because most of the time they are made in-house. However that doesn't go the same with 10% VATs.

From what I hear, some of the CIEM manufacturers will undervalue it to avoid taxes, mostly asian ones. Although it is not quite legit way of doing things, it is virtually impossible to tell a price of CIEMs from just looking at it.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #2,336 of 5,310
Quote:
Ya, it is true that we Koreans have Free Trade Agreement with EU, so it is most likely that we won't have to pay any tariffs, especially for CIEMs because most of the time they are made in-house. However that doesn't go the same with 10% VATs.

From what I hear, some of the CIEM manufacturers will undervalue it to avoid taxes, mostly asian ones. Although it is not quite legit way of doing things, it is virtually impossible to tell a price of CIEMs from just looking at it.

In the UK you will get hit for import duties pretty much 100% of the time. UK Customs & Excise are a sophisticated operation and they know all the tricks, they will even go to the lengths of identifying exactly what you have bought and obtaining the correct price for it. Anyone trying to evade import duties in the UK is very unlikely to succeed. The only exception to this, seems to be stuff shipped from Hong Kong. For some reason that I don't understand, items shipped from Hong Kong seem to be checked less rigorously, and I have had a number of items from there that have slipped through without duties. Anything I have ordered fro Korea on the other hand, has been caught every single time and import duties charged based on the full retail price of the items.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2,337 of 5,310
In the UK you will get hit for import duties pretty much 100% of the time. UK Customs & Excise are a sophisticated operation and they know all the tricks, they will even go to the lengths of identifying exactly what you have bought and obtaining the correct price for it. Anyone trying to evade import duties in the UK is very unlikely to succeed. The only exception to this, seems to be stuff shipped from Hong Kong. For some reason that I don't understand, items shipped from Hong Kong seem to be checked less rigorously, and I have had a number of items from there that have slipped through without duties. Anything I have ordered fro Korea on the other hand, has been caught every single time and import duties charged based on the full retail price of the items.

So does that mean you got hit with duties with your HY3, even though you're in the EU?

As for Hong Kong, maybe it's because HK used to be part of the UK? Before it was returned to China in 1997.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,338 of 5,310
So I've been spending more time with the new BA4 with the extra bass. It's a really great sounding CIEM. With the right music, and the right gear, it approaches top tier $1k+ performance levels. Interestingly, the JH13FP sounds far better with a Clip+ playing non-audiophile music. The BA4, even in this more fun variety, is still pretty ruthless. But give it some really good gear and recordings, and the gap between it and the JH13 narrows considerably. 

The BA4 has a special sort of sound - it reminds me of a very good monitor speaker, perhaps a larger one with a 7 or 8 inch woofer. That means it's almost full range, but doesn't quite do subterranean pipe organ (for example) as well as a huge tower speaker. But as it stands, it can be very satisfying nonetheless. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #2,339 of 5,310
Quote:
So does that mean you got hit with duties with your HY3, even though you're in the EU?

As for Hong Kong, maybe it's because HK used to be part of the UK? Before it was returned to China in 1997.

No, EU as long as duties are paid at source, which they are on all new EU goods, then as long as things are shipped EU country to EU country, there are no further duties to be paid. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,340 of 5,310
Quote:

This is incorrect.  I have ordered hundreds on items and have been caught once (and never on over 30 pairs of headphones amps etc.).   So please do not spread such information.  You may get caught but it nowhere near the level that you suggest.  100% of the time lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC2rmpiAsjs   this will explain it better for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back