Corda Opera Still Current?
Apr 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I should have said I have the non-DAC version. I have read repeatedly that the Opera DAC is not up to the quality of the amp, so I chose not to pay extra for one with a DAC. I feed it from a DVD player using good (silver coated) RCA cables.

Well, the DAC is most likely better than what you've got in the DVD player, if it's a cheap thing.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

The Symphony's on-line user manual suggests using the left (large Z) output for high impedance headphones, but I think the right output you suggest sounds best. Thank for reinforcing what my ears are telling me.

I only have low impedance phones so haven't really tried the other output.
I had Meier lower the gain on the volume knob when I purchased the amp so I have better control using the ATs and Grados.
Mine is the non dac version also as I prefer to use a good cdp or TT rather than streaming audio. I think most peoples issues were with the quality of the dac rather than the amp its self.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the DAC is most likely better than what you've got in the DVD player, if it's a cheap thing.

Thanks. I thought a DAC was for use with a computer? I promise I will get a better source. First I got the headphones. Still playing around with amps. I may stop at the Opera, but will probably try other amps as well. Then a better source.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have low impedance phones so haven't really tried the other output.
I had Meier lower the gain on the volume knob when I purchased the amp so I have better control using the ATs and Grados.
Mine is the non dac version also as I prefer to use a good cdp or TT rather than streaming audio. I think most peoples issues were with the quality of the dac rather than the amp its self.

Do you think I could raise the gain myself?

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Do you think I could raise the gain myself?

Not sure of what's involved. Dr Meier told me it was a very simple mod when he did my amp. Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge may be able to help.
Raising the gain may present more difficulties than lowering it and could leave you with a hair trigger volume control.

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #21 of 24
Aren't Meier's amps known for some pretty remarkable transparency? The Corda Aria always seemed highly transparent to me, even if it wasn't the most capable little firetruck. I think we need a thread to discuss the notion that audio tech doesn't age at the rate that many other technologies do.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great amp, not much to add upon what said but I can add that the HD800 is considerably underpowered by the Opera.

Last night I listened to one of my favorite CDs, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. I used the Senn HD-800s 300 ohms (my new used pair) with the Opera. I thank Yossi for his opinion, but to me the match was incredible! Great clarity! Huge soundstage! Also, IMO, there was enough volume. When I maxed out the volume I had to quickly turn it back down because it was close to painful.

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Last night I listened to one of my favorite CDs, Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd. I used the Senn HD-800s 300 ohms (my new used pair) with the Opera. I thank Yossi for his opinion, but to me the match was incredible! Great clarity! Huge soundstage! Also, IMO, there was enough volume. When I maxed out the volume I had to quickly turn it back down because it was close to painful.

Even though the Opera is certainly not equally synergetic with every headphone out there, I think most of the complaints about it not being powerful enough are actually caused by dissatisfaction with the Opera's sound signature in general. It's simply not a very impactful or beefy sounding amp. Plenty of people even say it sounds thin. It's mostly a matter of taste.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #24 of 24
Wanted to bump a Corda Opera thread to chime in,

I do not understand what people dislike with Meier amps + Grado combination.

Just wondering because my newly-acquired Opera Analog plays a perfect match with Grado SR80. Even my Marantz-K1000 -combo struggles to stay the winner! The dynamics is unbelievable. Opera creates SR80 a nice soundstage and decent imaging! From what I hear this sounds a match made in heaven. It's so crystal clear... after some badly amped experiences (dynamics: Arietta+SR80 okay-ish, Arietta+HD650: bad, Stax SR2020: bad, Opera+Ergo 2: bad, K1000 with any power amp so far: excellent), this is truly my first experience of how tremendously the SR80 can expand in terms of dynamics and quality. Very excited about the future now.

I did buy the Opera to see if Ergo 2 could shine, but Opera fails at that. Instead I developed an interest at RS2/RS1. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back