Corda HA-2, best amp for less than $600
Jan 25, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #31 of 45
Thanks again. Sorry, when I said "tubes are less of a hassle" I meant solid state is less of a hassle. Don't get me wrong, of the tube gear I have owned I always loved ths sound but it seemed you had to battle noise issues and channel imbalance problems at times. Headphones are just all that more revealing of these problems. However, I'd like to keep the option of going tubes open. I need to re-read your review of the Reality again, this amp sounds very interesting and the tubes are internally housed making portability easier. I'm getting the impression I would like the Corda and Gilmore amps a lot too.

Ever heard anything about the Space Tech amps?

http://www.space-tech-lab.com/HeadPhonePage.htm

Jan 25, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #32 of 45
To me, the more accurate the amp, I notice more resolving power, as in the rhytm becomes more involving, pace and timing flow in just right. Refinement is the ultimate goal for me, to rid of all hardness, glare/grunge, extension without thinning out (watered down), to open up the air and recreate original soundstage, and overall a relaxed smooth sound. Lowered noise-floor definately helps in accuracy also.

I used to only want tubed equipment for its euphonic traits, but I've moved entirely into solid states wanting a more pure sound.

Jan 25, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #33 of 45
Audio&Me - You have certainly hit the nail on the head as to what it is EXACTLY I like as well. I think the best sounding tube gear sounds like the best sounding of solid state gear and vice versa. I like solid state for it's less fussiness.

Jan 25, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #34 of 45
Sean...

...I think you would like the Corda HA-2, after all your descriptions. It's certainly not cold, bright, hard or analytical in your understanding, but smooth, accurate and ultra detailed, while rather on the warm side of neutral, but not much (anymore – after complete burn-in, as it seems). I rate it as on the same level of musicality as the Earmax Pro, and I often can't decide which one to use, independent of the music style.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 45
Thanks JaZZ. This is going to be tough. I'd like to see what becomes of the Gilmore amp and what it has to offer, and I also have a lot of interest in the SA Reality amp that I did a lot of reading about today. I'm definitely intrigued with the hybrid sound but it sounds like the Corda sounds excellent too. I'm looking at features and functionality too. The Reality has the dual inputs with a nice selector switch and preouts which could allow it to be a nice little tube preamp. I would use two sources- computer and CD player. The Corda has only one input but does have preouts and it has the x-feed circuitry that I have a lot of interest in too. I like the simplicity of not having to worry about tubes too. The Reality is cheaper though. Sonically it sounds like the Reality might be the warmer, more euphonic sounding and the HA-2 the more rhythmic and toe tapping performer. Anyhow...then there's the Gilmore amp. Wish I knew more there.

Like I said, I'll likely be picking up a pair of HD600's/Cardas but also have a pair of trusty old Grado SR60's, will any of these amps drive the Grado's well too?

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #36 of 45
Sean
The Corda HA-2 actually doesn't have a pre-out so if that's required you might want to scratch it from the list. HeadAmp.com's Gilmore amps do have the preout but no crossfeed. If you want both, the Prehead is $820 which is out of your stated budget.

As for Grados, the Prehead and Gilmore do well with phones of all impedance ratings but some people prefer a darker sounding (or slightly rolled off) amp to pair with modern Grados. If you like the bright nature of the Grados, I'm sure you'd be fine with these amps, though.

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #37 of 45
If you want a hybrid amp, look no further than Melos SHA-1. I heard one with HD600/cardas and my jaws damn near dropped. It extends higher than any amp I've heard without getting weak, has an unmatched signature sweetness coupled with richness that'll make your mouth water. Liquidity as in smooth like butta, it's almost as if best of both worlds. I loved it so much I'm clueless as to why I haven't bought one. You can even get it modded for even better rhytmic toe tapping goodness. It also functions as a preamp.

Personally, I've decided to go with a custom gilmore amp.

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #38 of 45
Seconded. I did like the Melos more than the Sonic Adventure and the market seems to have fallen out with them so you should be able to get one for a good price. Carlo being able to fix and mod them makes me a bit less worried about reliability too. I'm told the Melos makes a good preamp. One thing though--it's almost a trajedy to see a Melos go to someone who doesn't own a pair of Grado HP-1000 so if you get a Melos you're going to end up wanting a pair of you stick around here. (OTOH, I'm quite happy with the HP-1/Prehead and HP-1/Gilmore pairing too.)

Jan 26, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #39 of 45
Whoops, didn't look close enough, thought the HA-2 had preouts. Hmm...

I've always been intrigued by the Melos and am sure it is fantastic. The larger size kind of turns me off a little as I am hoping to take whatever amp I get to work and back every day and the Melos is a bit on the large size. That's the main issue, but I'm leery of reliability (it's good to know this Carlo is around though) and also if I could find one for a good price. But there is one on ebay...

Did you find the soundstage of the Reality to be quite a bit smaller than the Corda? I wonder if a good tube swap would have made a big difference.

What's your feeling about the Corda's x-feed, do you like x-feed?

Out of curiosity, ever heard the Wheatfield HA-1 tube amp? That is the only head amp I ever owned, for about 6 months and used it with HD600's. I thought it was a nice amp, not all that tubey but smooth and very impactful. Oh, as to the Grado sound, I do like the sound of the SR60's a lot but also loved the Senn HD600's too (which is a bit more in line with what I like- I have Spendor S3/5's in my main 2 channel system by the way).

Jan 26, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #40 of 45
Hey Sean (we used to chat on AA, was a real long time ago),

A stock SHA-1 isn't really anything special as a preamp: cold and hard and a lot left to be desired. Since you like the Mistral line I suggest going with a Sugden Headmaster used, stock its biggest flaw is a lot of information gets lost in the slightly gray background and dynamics don't have the weight or impact they should. However the amp has pretty good tone and body and, in a lot of ways, sounds like its exactly what you're looking for. I prefer a stock Headmaster to a SHA-1 as a preamp, the Sugden flaws aren't as grating to my ears as the Melos'.

If you're still DIYing stuff there are a few mods that can bring a lot more dynamics from the Sugden. If I haven't posted how to do them yet just send me an email and I'll let you know.

good luck man,
carlo.

Jan 26, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #41 of 45
I like the Prehead and Gilmore more than the stock Sugden for what its worth.

I do like crossfeed and use it in the Prehead. I prefer Meier's implementation of crossfeed to the other versions I've heard thus far as it seems more transparent to the amp.

I heard the Wheatfield amps on the WOH tour but didn't spend much time with them. If you really loved your Wheatfield, you might wait for HeadRoom's new tube amp to come out--though I doubt it will be in the $500 range.

Jan 26, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #42 of 45
I should have added: I have NOT heard any of Meier or Gilmore's amps.

Jan 27, 2003 at 12:19 AM Post #43 of 45
Hi Carlo...

I wondered if "Carlo" might have been you. I have to admit, I faintly remember chatting with you in a couple emails but I definitely know you around the Asylum. The Sugden has always interested me but I thought I heard it sounds kind of bright? What's it's used/retail price anyhow? Certainly a beautiful piece. If Kelly finds the Gilmore and Meier amp better that's something to consider. I like the smaller size of the Corda for portability too. Wonder how big that new Gilmore amp will be. I still need to email Kevin.

Kelly...

Thanks. Still trying to get a sense of the SA Reality's soundstage size, transparency and detail. You mentioned your other amps had a bigger stage. Is the Reality's soundstage that much smaller? Do you kind of get the feeling that rolling in some good tubes might increase soundstage and transparency?

Let me ask you this, of the Gilmore, Corda Pre Head and SA Reality, which of these do you feel sounds the most like music? Not so much hifi and how impressive they are in terms of their ability to wow you, which of them just gives you the music? Which one seems to involve you the most, emotionally?

I liked the Wheatfield but because I have no other reference points I don't know how good it really was. The thing used 7119's/7044's which ran REALLY hot and that turned me off a little. Also found at low volumes there were channel imbalance issues that bothered me a little. It's larger, blocky style was not the most desireable either. It was nice sounding though, it paired nicely as a preamp with a pair of ASL Wave 8 tube amps too. There's nothing about it's sound that I am married too, it's just my only reference. As to wanting preamp capability, I like the idea and would like to have an amp that does have them but it's NOT a must by any means. Yet, on the other hand I like the idea of Meier's X-feed too. Corda HA-2, SA Reality and the new Gilmore amp REALLY have my interest.

Jan 27, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 45
Sean
My favorite is the Prehead and music is the only criteria.

I can't really say how much tuberolling would help the Sonic Reality. Its character really reminded me of the Melos but the performance of the one I tested seemed to lag a little behind even the stock SHA-1. How much that changed with the capacitors they switched to and different tubes, I couldn't know.

Jan 27, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #45 of 45
Sean,

I don't think the Sugden is even remotely bright, rather that its too polite throughout the frequency spectrum and fuzzy at the top end. The Headmaster's upper frequency response sounds somewhat akin to having tweeters out of phase, soft and undefined. I've only used the amp with Audio Technica w2002, Grado SR225, Cardas'd Sennheiser HD580 and Cardas'd HD600 and as we all know mileage varies
smily_headphones1.gif

Your further clarification of what you're looking for soundwise does point away from the Headmaster: its a nice piece and it can certainly get your foot taping, but its also much too polite to get out of the way and just give you the music. Stock its a pleasing non-offensive amp, but groovy it isn't. For what its worth, the Sugden is one of the coolest components I've seen. Pictures don't do it justice. I think their used price is in the $600 range, but I haven't been paying attention.

There's a Melos owner and another member who is having a Gilmore Dynamic built with quality parts in your neck of the woods, might be worth arranging a meet?

carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back