Copy-Protected CD
Dec 18, 2003 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cs1323

100+ Head-Fier
How do you snatch these tracks off this "Copy-
Protected" CD? Sometimes, my drive can get them off
other protected cds, but this new one seems
impossible!

I tried iTunes, & MusicMatch jukebox and no help.
The cd drive keeps starting up and stopping every 2
seconds. iTunes only records a 9-second track and
doesn't record the full length. Musicmatch simply
acts stupid and freezes up my computer.

How else am I going to record these tracks?!

Dec 18, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 21
hold down SHIFT while you pop the CD in the drive, keep holding it untill it stops spinning... then you should be able to grab them with EAC I think...

Dec 18, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 21
sorry... acronyms... EAC is exact audio copy... its a good ripping application

Dec 18, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 21
Try ripping with Exact Audio Copy (EAC). I ripped about 5 copy protected CDs without any problems.

wink.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 21
The simplest way to rip CD's, is to take a discman with digital out and sync it with a soundcard's digital in. This circumvent's all of the 'Copy protection' and if your soundcard properly supports TOS link you should get track marks as well.

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

...you should get track marks as well.

Try shooting up in your inner thigh instead.

Sorry, I couldn't resist
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 21
...So you're saying that if you use an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 with the digital IO daughterboard you won't be able to get trackmarks? I find that incredilous to believe.

Stuff that *properly* supports TOS link and all of the S/PDIF standards should perform admirably in this regard.

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

hold down SHIFT while you pop the CD in the drive, keep holding it untill it stops spinning

agreed. The way this copy protection works is that a small executable is loaded when the disc is inserted that inhibits the CD drive from reading the disc properly. The "autorun" feature in Windows can be temporarily disabled by holding shift while inseting the disc. Some kid published how to do this (i think it was part of a master's thesis) on the internet and got sued. I find it hilarious that someone actaully considered that a "trade-secret" to the copy protection scheme. It's not like hacking a key or anything. Actually, I find it even more hilarious that some company probably got paid millions to come up with such a dim-witted protection scheme

Dec 18, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 21
Try iRiver product like iMP-550 with iHP-120 using optical cable. Or Hercules DigiFire (or Fortissimo III) sound card with iHP-120 using optical cable.

Dec 18, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 21
If your EAC is set up properly you should have autoplay disabled while it is running.

"Hail To The Thief" is the last copy protected album I got. I returned it of course and ordered the U.S. version (no protection) but EAC had no serious trouble with it and I was able to listen to MP3s while I waited for the better version to arrive.

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 21
EAC wasn't able to copy my copy of copy protetected Dido - Life for rent *heheh..*. Something like the cd having actual unreadable bits or something. It would just give read errors. *It also sounds bad in my 963SA..
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 21
Only copy protected CD I've ever run across was Project 86 - Truthless Heroes. Oddly enough, Roxio was the only thing that could copy it. That is, before I got EAC
biggrin.gif

As for using a PDCP's digital out, I have one question: does the source matter any when you're using a digital out, seeing as it's not running through a DAC?

(-:Stephonovich:)

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
but EAC had no serious trouble with it and I was able to listen to MP3s while I waited for the better version to arrive.

If EAC had no problem with it, why didnt you just rip the wavs and send the CD back... dont support these pricks that are copy protecting their CDs
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back