copper vs silver digital interconnect
Jun 17, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 32
Very good explanation there. I understand what u meant. But as far as i know, the clock you meant are probably the bandwidth over the transfer protocol. More bandwidth mean more data can be transfered per given time. Low quality cable may result in loss packet (never happen to me), the data are resent and this repeat over and over again and the only downside is loss of transfer speed. If the client require transfer of data in realtime, there may be loss of data. This make sense in realtime digital audio (the data lost maybe some high note or some low note).

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 32
Silver is absolutely better for audio signals and sounds clearer, more open, better low end and much more 3D positioning .
I have done many A/B comparisons over the years and am completely convinced of this.
The people that say otherwise are either deaf or too broke to get silver cabling .

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference between copying data files vs. digital audio transmission is that the latter has the clock component to complicate matters. There's a pretty good explanation here:
(quote)
The Clock is Analog

[snip]

Enter SPDIF. (unquote)

You know, one could say the same about, let us say, ethernet. Or adsl. Or Sata. Or ... well, any digital transport that sends clock and data over the same wire (or optical transport). There is no essential difference there between those and SPDIF. You either get the correct bits or you don't. If you get the correct bits, its all the same to the DAC / LAN / HDD controller. Its still just bits.

Bits which need clock to be recovered. Ever tried to hear the difference of silver sata cables transporting the bits from the hard disk to the audio player?

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silver is absolutely better for audio signals and sounds clearer, more open, better low end and much more 3D positioning .
I have done many A/B comparisons over the years and am completely convinced of this.
The people that say otherwise are either deaf or too broke to get silver cabling .

James Randi has $1,000,000.00 just waiting for you. Think of the upgrades!

Occam's razor says that the differences the OP are hearing exist only in his (or her) head.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #20 of 32
i should try a silver digital interconnect

who makes one or are ppl just using a normal silver interconnect

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 32
For all the useless gear-praising and gushing over the years in the pages of Stereophile, I do remember this tidbit: they mentioned a test in which steel coat-hanger wire did a credible job as digital cable. Currently, I use solid-core Tara COPPER interconnect between transport and DAC.

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #23 of 32
Hehe he he. If someone had told me this discussion was taking place I would never have believed him. This is a hundred times more ridiculous than the fuse guys. Are you writing your messages from a computer with gold ethernet cables? Just to make sure they don't get corrupted in the one metre to the router, never mind the thousands of kilometres the signal will still travel on regular copper. Yet your messages appear legible to me... That is strange. I would have thought all sorts of crazy mumbo jumbo would have taken place over such a huge distance...

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe he he. If someone had told me this discussion was taking place I would never have believed him. This is a hundred times more ridiculous than the fuse guys.

Wait till you read some of the burn-in threads or power cable threads, that will really blow your mind
wink.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #25 of 32
fwiw, i think that data (digital or not) is much more concrete than sound. sound can be interpreted, and perceived, an infinite number of ways -- albeit all very similar. but those very small differences could be the difference in silver or copper or gold or a steel coat-hanger, no?

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i should try a silver digital interconnect

who makes one or are ppl just using a normal silver interconnect

Oyaide makes them OYAIDE ELEC,co,.ltd. I have bought one and one of my buddies took it. And another buddy bought one. They sparkle in sound, prefer it to a Cardas.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbarbier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fwiw, i think that data (digital or not) is much more concrete than sound. sound can be interpreted, and perceived, an infinite number of ways -- albeit all very similar. but those very small differences could be the difference in silver or copper or gold or a steel coat-hanger, no?

That works if we have confidence that something is really different in a way and of sufficient magnitude that it would alter our perception of sound. The empirical evidence we have is that cables are so similar in terms of actually transmitting a signal (frequency, amplitide, group delay/phase shift, noise, distortion) (leaving out RLC, just looking at signals) that there is little rational reason to suppose that these tiny differences could be perceived. Group delay much touted by manufacturers is a real red herring for cables since it becomes audible (just) at 3.2ms (3 x 10 ^ -3) but no cable of less than 50ft will ever be worse than 900ns (900 x 10 ^ -9) .

Are there any other electrical properties of interest, well basically no, RLC will directly affect the parameters I mentioned anyway and the limitations of the end transducers are orders of magnitude worse than any limitations of cables.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #28 of 32
I'm actually interested as to why this magical cable market has only surfaced in audio. Why don't we see silver SATA cables for lightning quick transfer and improved soundstaging of hard drives? But seriously, however much you spend on fuses and other rubbish could be better spent on... music! Lots of it actually! Or is that not what speakers are for anymore?

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you replaced the coils in your headphones and speakers for those made of silver? If not, you lose so much... My experience says that a good (not the cheapest) copper studio cable terminated with professional plugs (say Neutrik Profi) is a more transparent and better solution than any audiphile brand cable.

Re: the topic. The coaxial cables matter more for inferior transports due to ground loop involved with the coaxial connection, low signal level being more immune to EMI noise and finally higher data jitter. If you have a decent digital transport, you can use a digital TV cable with full success. The Fadel Art Reference was no better than a Prolink digital TV cable from the Accuphase DP800 transport while plain CD players differentiate this Prolink from the audiophile cables pretty easily showing it as OK but not the "best". All is a matter of balancing near the digital readout correctness and the ground loop influence. Good transports have transformer-coupled digital outputs so the ground is no issue, the jitter is low and the signal amplitude is high. Then the cable hardly matters. It has to be electrically correct with the right wave impedance, and that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back