Cool Hendrix Performance from 1967
Aug 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 10
Great video. Good to see the soft side of Hendrix. It's amazing to see that he could be such a good songwriter, in addition to being the greatest axeman ever.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 10
There were and are many equally technically proficient guitar players out there. To me Hendrix's genius resided in his songwriting, and not just the songs but the chord progressions and chord type. His words don't hit me quite are hard as they used to, still good, just a little dated, but what he brought to rock is his contribution. Nobody has successfully written songs anywhere close, can't think of the guys name, but the guy from Procul Harum, the solo album Bridge of Sighs, the Guy from Los Lonely Boys and John Mayer especially benefited from Jimi. It even include his tone, which everybody associated with screaming distortion but often was just a tad of power tube distortion through a not preamp boosted Marshall as on this song. I think he made the strat what it is. My favorite song is Pali Gap, kind of a heroin jazzy instrumental that is worth trying to find. This same style was what he was into when he died, his best work in my opinion. Studio tapes are available, something about new rays of the rising sun. Sorry, for the ramble, brain ain't what it used to be. Drugs are not cool. Note that this was done live without a massive pa, just miked. He really was something else.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woodstock was broadcast on French TV last night, and I was just listnening to the "Blues" album as I read this thread. Magic !

I was thinkin' of going to Woodstock way back then, but it didn't look as though there would be enough Porta-Potties, so we stayed home.

.....still shoulda gone.
frown.gif

Great Hendrix video though. Thanks for sharing!
icon10.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may have needed the porta potties on the Thruway.
wink.gif

I was young then. No problem!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm much older now
frown.gif
. Now I probably WOULD!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back