Ideally, we'd all have 5-ply All-clad sets ... but the 1k+ pricetag is a hurdle

As alternatives, how are these?
Tools of the Trade Belgique
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...497&AdID=33817

Daniel Boulud Generation

Cuisinart Chef's classic

All I truly need is a large saute pan, but my fry pans are also beat up, and my sauce pans arent so nice... instead of buying open stock at 30-40$ a piece... why not buy a discounted full set?

Not liking the Cuisinart because of the lip, and the possible redundancy in the included pieces. The Belgique are only 2 ply, and the copper is at the base only... this leaves the Boulud as the best set.

Opinions?

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 8
I buy sets of teflon-non stick at Sears for $60, then buy a non-non-stick saute pan (with a lid) to go with them. I think my saute is Wolfgang Puck, it was a wedding present along with the electric griddle. Sure its cheap Chinese crap, but a 3-quart soup pot isn't going to make your tomato sauce any better if it costs $5 or $250.

Just ask my dad with his godawful cooking and LeCreuset hand-enamled cast iron cookware (All together weights more than his Honda Pilot).

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 8
Like my golf clubs, my cookware is a bunch of matching and nonmatching stuff I've picked up over four decades and that has been kept when it serves my purpose. That being said, I'd lean towards the Cuisinart set of the selctions you have chosen. I like stainless steel with sandwiched bottoms of copper or aluminum to spread the heat. But no exposed aluminum as it really markd up the sink.
eek.gif
Do you cook stuff that would use the majority of these pots?

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like my golf clubs, my cookware is a bunch of matching and nonmatching stuff I've picked up over four decades and that has been kept when it serves my purpose. That being said, I'd lean towards the Cuisinart set of the selctions you have chosen. I like stainless steel with sandwiched bottoms of copper or aluminum to spread the heat. But no exposed aluminum as it really markd up the sink.
eek.gif
Do you cook stuff that would use the majority of these pots?

I definitely do do need a saute pan. I relegate saute duties to my large fry/skillet, but its a beat-up hand-me-down nonstick thats too worn ... (in which case I can blame the equipment for messing up the food).

If I were to buy separates, I would buy a 4qt saute, 8qt omellet/fry, 5qt sauce... about 120$ ... so why not get a set, right?

What do you mean aluminum marking up the sink? Im using SS sink over here...

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I love to cook and once owned an $1,100.00 set of AllClad cookwear, but I gotta say that the Kirkland brand at Costco is some really nice stuff. It looks exactly like the set in your first link (probably the same manufacturer), but it's a little cheaper at Costco.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 8
Kirkland products from Costco are very good quality. My parents bought this $1500 Kirkland barbecue machine from Costco and it is simply amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely do do need a saute pan. I relegate saute duties to my large fry/skillet, but its a beat-up hand-me-down nonstick thats too worn ... (in which case I can blame the equipment for messing up the food).

If I were to buy separates, I would buy a 4qt saute, 8qt omellet/fry, 5qt sauce... about 120$ ... so why not get a set, right?

What do you mean aluminum marking up the sink? Im using SS sink over here...

Second on the Costco cookware. Aluminum marks on stainless will not be so noticeable, but wait till you see them (and try to remive them) on anything else. That Cuisinart pasta cooker would double as a decent steamer and you will find good use for many of the other pieces. Matched is nice if you are going to also use them out for kitchen decorations. That's a good sale, but look at the sets at Costco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back