Control: The Joy Division movie
Jun 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I got this from Netflix. I'm a loooooong-term JD fan. I've read Deborah's book on which this film is based, and a few more on the band, as well as countless articles.

I've always loved Anton Corbijn's iconic photos of the band as well as his other work with bands like Depeche Mode. He directed the amazing and spooky video of JD's Atmosphere as well as Nirvana's creepy video for Heart Shaped Box.

This guy obviously is a visual genius, and he "knew" the subject of this film in person. Can he direct a full-length film and can he give us all some insight into Ian Curtis? If not, what have we paid him for and why are we watching this movie?

The answer, frustraingly, is "no". The theme of this movie, essentially, is that no one really knew who Ian was, not even his own wife. ("Touching From A Distance" is the title of her book, and maybe even she recognized she didn't even know him.)

Maybe that's how it was, and de-personalization was clearly one of the main themes of Ian's work. But those of us today who listen to his meager output sense an individual with a keen insight, sharp feelings and clear personality. Maybe he's one of those artists who only exist within the context of their work, and that's the only place they can tell their "truth". In person they are a just a drone.

But those of us who expected 2 hours of cinema to reveal some of the inner workings of the man are disappointed. We all knew at the outset how this story would end, and we kind of can see the "trap" he was in, but that makes him no different than the millions of others in his same shoes (i.e married too young, maybe sold out too cheap to his first "love", only to discover he was possibly an artist above and beyond his early station and in love with someone else more his own equal). Is this *really* cause for suicide? Aren't there many many ways to manage this situation as so many others have done? Do we gain some understanding of why he did it? I'm afraid no.

Or, maybe, it really was as mundane and bland as this movie would have us believe. There were any number of flights of fancy and/or deeply existential image montages we could have been shown as justification. But all we get is the (possible) literal reality which weirdly just doesn't ring true.

Without Ian himself here to recount his story, we'll never know. This film spends its last half hour in a fantasy of what *might* have happened in the final hours of Ian's life. Is it accurate? I doubt it. The movie never ever gives us any real reason to understand what he's doing.

And that's the flaw of the whole thing. Here we have one of our great poets of despair and alienation; a man who could have made the subject for a very weird, off-center film that had a lot to say about modern life. Instead we get some literal re-telling of the myth at its very surface that makes no sense at all.

If you weren't already a major fan of the band, there would be no reason for you to see this. It reveals nothing of interest about the human condition or its subject. Ian revealed a lot about how we live today, but this lousy movie tells us nothing about him.
mad.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just happen to have this in my Netflix movie que........guess I can take it out
frown.gif

Please do...maybe it will go from "long wait" to "now", so I can get it faster.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 21
DA, you should take a look at it, I'd be curious to see if you walk away from it as empty as I did. It's frustraing-- here we have this visual genius who could have used his power to present a story that lived up to Ian's vission, but instead chose to tell a flat, boring story of an average guy who did the unthinkable for no real reason.

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 21
Couldn't disagree with you more. Control is a visually superb movie, which would make it worth seeing for the quality of the camerawork alone. At times scenes are so strikingly framed that it literally took my breath away.

The acting is likewise great - not much material to play with in the mundane facts of the story, but there is a feel of gritty and intimate realism about the movie where real people are totally convincingly played, struggling from day to day with the details of their lives and relationships. I don't think any real answers are suggested either, and Control demythologises Curtis's death into an avoidable and pointless act, depressing in its muddled and drunken stupidity. No deep artistic statement, but plausible in its sad mundanity.

I really think this may be one of the best rock biopics I have seen - an easy 4 and maybe 5 star movie, that really resonated with me.

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 21
i've seen Control a few months ago; i remember being so excited of seeing it as i'm a hardcore JD fan, read Deborah Curtis' book Touching From a Distance, as well as being familiar with Anton Corbijn's photographs and music videos. like markl's reaction, i was slightly disappointed. not that Control was a bad movie; visuals were captivating most of the time, the acting was also very good, but for me the movie adaptation didn't add anything to the story, it was basically a visual retelling of Mrs. Curtis' book. It's easy to say that yes, the movie was supposed to be a retelling of the biographic book, but i was hoping Corbijn would add something else to the story that most JD fans already know.

it's funny because i watched 24 Hour Party People that same day, which i have to admit was a better movie than Control. it's slightly unfair as 24 Hour Party People focused on Ian and JD for only part of the movie, which was more about Tony Wilson, but as a whole 24 was better.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks for the heads up Bong...........
I have 24hr Party People in the Netflix que, some comments indicate first half of movie is better than 2nd half

EZ
I am doing you a big favor, are you a Joy Division fan

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 21
Its not that bad. The movie is pretty good on its own if you like joy division but wont really give you that extra oomph if you want to know more about him than the average fan

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 21
I enjoyed the movie, I know what you are saying about it being not very revealing but I would rather have it that way than some Hollywood blockbuster that makes half the storyline up just to keep the audience happy.

It is more of a cult movie and to film it in B&W was a great choice. Perhaps there isn't much to tell about Ian outside his music.

I have the book sat on my desk and I am going to start reading it later. In most cases of films based on a book, the book is the better option.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EZ
I am doing you a big favor, are you a Joy Division fan

Yes, but only in the last several months did I hear them for the first time.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 21
I liked the movie. It's beautifully shot and decently acted. It has some shortcomings and could have possibly gone in different ways than it did.

One pivotal scene in both Control and 24 hour party people was the scene where the future Joy Division and others go see the sex pistols. It rang more true in control than in 24 hour people.

One thing that Control really did not do is mythologize Curtis or Joy Division. It showed his obvious talent and the rest of the band as well but otherwise was a very straight forward telling of events.

Portraying his suicide as a somewhat pointless act, that did not have any great subtext may be the best element of the movie. I.E. he had problems, he may have been depressed but does that add up to suicide?

That all being said, Martin Hannett who does not even get identified by name in control is certainly and interesting subject himself and was certainly as much a part of Joy Division as anyone else in the band.

Also what was with the multiple buzzcocks jokes and references? It's almost like a running gag in an otherwise very bleak movie

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 21
Just watched 24 hour party people in its entirety for the first time, wow, i love it. Great touching film. Of course you would have to be a fan of manchester music to really love it though since it has a documentary type feel.

Someone should make a film about the liverpool music scene in the 80s too. Echo and the bunnymen/wild swans/ the care/ lotus eaters/ china crisis until lightning seeds. I love the music and was wondering if they have a good story to be told.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just watched 24 hour party people in its entirety for the first time, wow, i love it. Great touching film. Of course you would have to be a fan of manchester music to really love it though since it has a documentary type feel.

Someone should make a film about the liverpool music scene in the 80s too. Echo and the bunnymen/wild swans/ the care/ lotus eaters/ china crisis until lightning seeds. I love the music and was wondering if they have a good story to be told.

you forgot Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and The Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope.
wink.gif

i'm actually hoping someone will make a 24 Hour Party People type film about Alan McGee/Creation Records.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 21
Just caught this thread. Big JD fan, from day 1. Have to buy the movie.

Jun 17, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you forgot Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and The Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope.
wink.gif

i'm actually hoping someone will make a 24 Hour Party People type film about Alan McGee/Creation Records.

Yup, teardrop explodes are related to the care also. Paul Simpson their keyboardist is the lead vocalist of the care and the wild swans. The care is Paul Simpson and Ian Broudie of the lightning seeds. Interrelated bands. Echos Pete De Freitas also helped out Simpson to release Wild swans first single. I forgot all about OMD since i didnt see their relation to these bands hehehe Sort of like 24 hour party people and the smiths not really being related although the smiths were mentioned in the end by God in the movie.

Oh yeah, also in that scene is Ian Mcnabb and the icicle works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back