Contrasting DT 880 600ohm and Grado HF2
Jul 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
I just wanted to throw out some of my impressions and hopefully get others to chime in. I have been using my DT 880 (600 ohm) with a Valhalla and a SS amp. I find the DT 880s to "play it safe" with the sound so to speak when compared with the HF2. The HF2 seems to have a significantly more foward presentation in the mids which often provides more detail, but also sometimes reveals more flaws in the source recording. That is why I say the DT 880 seems to play it safe by backing the mids off somewhat and presenting an overall smoother sound.

I don't want to be mistaken here, I really like what the 880 does to the sound. It has a very listenable approach to music reproduction that despite what I feel are rolled off mids, still has a richness and seductive quality. The bass from the 880 is of course more prolific and rounder, but some off this seems to be less refined and is perhaps the product of inner sound reflection due to the partial closed design.

I guess I wanted to post this here and see what others think who have heard/own both of these headphones. I really like both of these cans, and I know each have their strengths and weaknesses, but I am struggling to understand which is more accurate if that is at all a valid point of comparrison. At first I felt that the 880s were the more listenable of the two, but even through the Valhalla, I still can't seem to ignore the HF2. I'm not asking anybody to tell me what to like more, that would be ludicrous, I just would like to hear others thoughts. I just wish the cord on the HF2 was longer so I could sit on my couch like I can with the 880s!! To that effect, if I get an extension cable for the HF2, how much of a negative effect on sound quality might a longer cable be? I understand that low impedence designs due suffer performance hits with longer cables, but is it actually audible? Cheers.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 2
Grado states that their extension cable can be daisy chained like 3 times without any loss in signal quality... I'm sure 1 of them will do just fine!

I use one for my Sennheiser HD-580's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back