Console Gaming Sound Cards.
Jul 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

343 Grenadier

Head-Fier
I was a little curious to know which of the well-known console audio solutions out there are the best overall solutions for getting better audio out of consoles.

Astro Mixamp and Turtle Beach DSS and DSS2 seem popular. I hear the new USB Creative Recon3D has the best of both worlds: The mic support of the Mixamp and the audio quality of the DSS/DSS2. Also relatively inexpensive at 75 USD on Amazon. Are there other, better alternatives? I happen to be using a generic ATH-AD700 and a crappy mic I bought in a store in China.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I was a little curious to know which of the well-known console audio solutions out there are the best overall solutions for getting better audio out of consoles.

Astro Mixamp and Turtle Beach DSS and DSS2 seem popular. I hear the new USB Creative Recon3D has the best of both worlds: The mic support of the Mixamp and the audio quality of the DSS/DSS2. Also relatively inexpensive at 75 USD on Amazon. Are there other, better alternatives? I happen to be using a generic ATH-AD700 and a crappy mic I bought in a store in China.

Does the USB Creative Recon3D even come with software that works on consoles?

The Astro Mix-amp usually seems the best choice for console gaming.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Does the USB Creative Recon3D even come with software that works on consoles?

The Astro Mix-amp usually seems the best choice for console gaming.

Seconded. 
The recon 3d is short on features. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 7
According to what I've read, it does. It was apparently designed to work with both consoles and PCs. I've also read the Mixamp has horrendous sound quality compared to the DSS/DSS2 and the Recon3D. (To say nothing of the fact that it's hard to find and quite expensive for just a console gaming upgrade.) Long as the Recon3D supports a mic and has better audio quality, it seems a more practical option to me. I wanted a second opinion, though, which is why I asked here.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 7
The Recon3D USB doesn't use "software" on consoles in the same sense that it does on a PC or Mac; it's just a S/PDIF DAC and DSP like the Mixamp and DSS.

The best approach for console gaming would probably be a Smyth Realiser A8 with its HDMI input and a Dolby Digital/DTS decoder for S/PDIF-only consoles like the original Xbox, but let's face it, most people aren't going to spend that much on one.

A more realistic approach would be an A/V receiver with Dolby Headphone support. Some older Harmon/Kardon and Marantz receivers have it, perhaps other brands had it too.

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 7
I apologize for not clarifying earlier, but I am looking for... Shall we say, inexpensive solutions. I'm more a gamer than an audiophile and I hope whatever small, inexperienced posts I make here are of use to others. A lot of people in the console community are curious about the Recon3D and nobody seems to have a conclusive comparison to other popular options, much less better alternatives. The suggestions you listed are all about 300 or more just going by a brief perusal of Harman-Kardon's and Marantz's current lineups. The most expensive option I listed, the Mixamp, was about 150 new, or 100 used, and I consider even that to be too high. The basic idea is "What is a cheap console-capable DAC with good positional audio effects and at least okayish sound quality?" The Recon3D can be found for under 100. Under 75 if you go the used route. If you can name something better at it in the same price range as at least the Mixamp, that'd be great. Thank you for your patience, sirs.

Oct 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 7
Go hit up eBay for a Harmon/Kardon AVR 254 or Marantz SR-5001. They might come in under $200.

...Wait, you want something for console gaming and under $100. Good luck with that; the original Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS is your only other option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back