Considering getting a tube amp .... Want to help ?
Jul 31, 2010 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

downsize

Member of the Trade
Every person has a different opinion .... everyone hears it differently ..... But I still can use some help.

I have been a solid state guy all of my life, and am now considering going with a tube amp, but AM NOT willing to give up my treble and bass extension, or my resolution.

Soooo, I need a tube amp under $2000 that will not have too much of the tubey sound that makes speed metal and rock sound compressed ....

So far, I am thinking of WA6 SE or WA2 fully loaded .... What am I missing, and thanks !

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 3
With that description, I would put the Eddie Current Zana Deux se on your list.

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 3
Last I checked, there was a Zana Deux in the For Sale Forum going around $1,700. I'd put that high on your list. It doesn't sound "tubey" and is lightning fast - much like a solid state amp, but just smooth enough to remind you that you're analog. Everything else I've heard (save for some high-end customs you'd have to DIY if you wanted) lets a lot more tube character through. It's one of the best amps out there and will power anything but the K-1000. Not a failing - the K-1000 was engineered to run off a speaker power amp producing 8W of power or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back