Considering Computer Source.
Aug 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Currently my music source is my iPhone 4 (and C421 amp), and my library consists mainly cds ripped at 320mb/s. Considering my Headphone collection, I've come to the conclusion that I would like to set up a more sophisticated source for more "critical" listening.

I was/am considering picking up one of the budget-ish hifi DAPs like the FiiO X3 or the DX50, then re-ripping my favorite albums into 16/44.1 FLAC lossless and using it when i'm sitting down and listening to my nicer IEMs.

Now however, i'm thinking about simply using my macbook pro with iTunes as a source, and buying a DAC/amp or simply a DAC like the hifimediy Asynchronous sabre U2 and connecting it to my C421. Concerning music, I would rip all my favorite albums in Apple Lossless.

Now, on paper both have at least 24bit/192Khz DACs, which should both be more than capable to play lossless CD quality, but other than that I haven't the foggiest which should be the technically superior option. I figure with the DAP, i'm more portable, but then again I typically have my laptop with me at here at school or back home when i'm sitting at my desk listening to music.

I'm not sure if I'm just getting carried away with the numbers, but what would be the biggest improvement SQ-wise over my iPhone 4 playing 320?

thanks.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I would think to get the Sabre U2 DAC.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 4
So if I was to abandon getting a DAP, Has anyone here tried the hifimediy asynchronous dac?

Would the HRT microstreamer be better, or simply different in (perceived) sound (in comparison to the above with the c421)? they're both 24/96, asynchronous, jitter free as far as i can tell. I don't know what dac chip is in the mircostreamer.

Can someone highlight the sound differences here, because i'm not getting much from all these numbers as i have zero experience with DAC or hifi sources.

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
So if I was to abandon getting a DAP, Has anyone here tried the hifimediy asynchronous dac?
Would the HRT microstreamer be better, or simply different in (perceived) sound (in comparison to the above with the c421)? they're both 24/96, asynchronous, jitter free as far as i can tell. I don't know what DAC chip is in the Mircostreamer.
Can someone highlight the sound differences here, because I'm not getting much from all these numbers as i have zero experience with DAC or hifi sources.

I would say to start off with the Sabre U2, you can always "upgrade" in year or two if you feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back