Considering buying Grado, question for anyone that owns them.
Sep 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

steakman

New Head-Fier
I am accustom to circumaural headphones such as Sennheiser 595 and Beyerdynamic DT990. Do the pads on the grado prestige series rest on the ear, or fit around it? I am worried about there being too much pressure on my ear that will cause some discomfort after prolonged wearing. 

My other question is; Since they are open, is sound/music easily heard by others around you? I want to wear them in public, but I don't want to disturb others around me. I also don't want them to hear my lady gaga at full volume :wink:

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 39
I only feel the pressure where my ear then presses on the earpiece of my eyeglasses. Otherwise, I have no issues with the comfort of the Grados. You can always get the big G-Cush earpads (on the GS1000) - they all fit... tho they apparently do change the sound signature somewhat. 

Yes. The open design does let quite a lot of sound out - and honestly, my Grados more than some other open cans. Whether it's bothersome depends on circumstance. My office doesn't seem to care - but I do listen to only fantastic music. :wink:

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 39
You can order G-cush pads to go around your ear. They are worth it if you're a big Grado fan.

Otherwise, not.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 39
I have senn pc360 what are like the 595's , and grado 225i . the senns are way more comfy but there are mods that can be done. while the stock pads are on ear. jumbo bowls r bigger so gessing there over ear. the sound does leak out simular to my senns, you'd be better off with some closed

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 39
for your needs, don’t get grados. they leak a ton and the foam on the ear pads can be scratchy unless you bend the headband a lot  - doing that is fine for home use but could slip off your head out and about.

focus on closed headphones.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 39
Senns are way more comfortable than Grados. I found that the HD414 pads were much more comfortable than the stock comfies. If you want to make the Grados go over your ear then you should get the G-cush pads. Clamping force out of the box is a real killer but it gets better with use. I don't wear specs, but I would imagine them to be worse for those who did.

The Grados leak almost as much on both the listening side and the grill side. It depends on the environment though. If I play my music loud enough is a fairly loud environment, the outside noise doesn't really bother me and the noise coming off my Grados doesn't bother others but I wouldn't recommend the Grados for places like the library or public transport.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 39

Quote:
I am accustom to circumaural headphones such as Sennheiser 595 and Beyerdynamic DT990. Do the pads on the grado prestige series rest on the ear, or fit around it? I am worried about there being too much pressure on my ear that will cause some discomfort after prolonged wearing. 

My other question is; Since they are open, is sound/music easily heard by others around you? I want to wear them in public, but I don't want to disturb others around me. I also don't want them to hear my lady gaga at full volume :wink:

I had the SR325IS's. I did not find them uncomfortable at all, even though, as you mention, the cushion did rest on the very top of the ear. Like @liamstrain said, one time I felt some discomfort, and the phones were pushing on the earpiece of my reading glasses.

To answer your other question - it depends on both how loud you listen to music, and how close others sit next to you. I was reluctant at first, but found that they are not much louder than many people's earbuds I've heard when they're listening. The Beyer DT990's are also open cans - I wouldn't think the Grado's are much different.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 39
They all have totally different sound. I currently swap between my 225i Grados, and AKG 702 - depending on what I'm listening to, and my mood. You could always get a cheap(ish) pair of SR80i, and play around with them later - see if you like the "grado sound" - good for modding too - those have the soft foam, and are a bit more comfortable... 

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 39
I am selling my HiFiMan Orthodynamics to live with my Grados. Are the Grados as fine as the HE-5LEs? Not at all, but they are darn good. They are extremely light and comfortable enough for me to listen for hours at a stretch. Do they surround the ear? How big are your ears? They surround mine. Being open, they can be heard by others, but my wife never complains.
davisoly

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:

Heya,

Only the G-cush pads are circumaural. Everything else is on your ear. The G-cush pads change the sound signature significantly. I tried them on lower end Grados (SR60's) and on 325i Grados before leaving that tier and moving into the upper end Grados. The G-cush made the treble very tizzy and hot, very bright, very fatiguing and it took away a lot of warmth and body and lost the reverb of bass and just left the snap/impact of it so it just pulverizes your ears. I love the feel of the G-cush pads, they make Grados very comfortable to wear, but man do they sound terrible and take away all the fun from the Grado sound. It made them sound like crazy tweeters to me.

They absolutely leak. Grados leak like someone has a radio on in the room. It will be heard all over the place even at moderate volumes. Nothing leaks as much as a Grado. Not recommended for portable use or for use around other people or environments with noise. Plus you will hear everything around you very well too which will have you turning up the volume--and these things will absolutely punish your ears at higher volumes if you do that.

Pics to show you the difference in L-cush (standard on most nicer Grados) and the G-cush (extra, and changes the sound tremendously for the worse in my opinion but making them very comfortable to wear):

Basically, I suggest you get something other than a Grado for your uses.

Very best,

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 39
I find Grados comfortable but the bowls do take some time to break in.  I have found that washing them with Dawn dishwashing detergent softens them up considerably.

I don't think that they are as comfortable as circumaural but they are fine for a few hours at a time.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 39
i got 325is' and they are quite comfy actually, sadly they are a little heavy (the plastic grados are lighter tho), as for the grado being uncomfortable, the pads can be a little rough at first, however, i got long hair so it makes the grados extra comfy :p

based on the fact u want less leakage, perhaps the beyer dt 770s are a better option for u.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 39
The SR60 is, ime, fine for use in moderately noisy environments.

It is not suitable for use in quiet public places.

Btw those G-cushes look really tempting :l

Users who are viewing this thread

Back