Considering a new player. HM-601 Vs. iPod Vs. Cowon
Nov 29, 2010 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sorensiim

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently playing my flac files on a rockboxed 120gb ipod 5.5 through my absolutely great FS Atrio M5 iems. It sounds nice but I guess the mids could be a little itty bit more forward. I love the comfort, bass, isolation and general sound of my M5's but the battery life on the ipod and the proprietary cables are bugging me. And sometimes you just want to try something new :)

I've been looking at the Hifiman HM-601/602 but then I would need to cut down to 32gigs and battery life would be the same as I'm getting with the iPod. The HM-601 supposedly sounds absolutely fantastic, very musical and somwhat warm - The same has been said about the M5's so should I get a colder, more analytical source for them? Looking at Cowon, the 160gb X7 is available at £250, packing native flac support and 103 hours of music playback on a charge. 

I listen to just about every kind of music, I can easily go from Rammstein to Rihanna to Ravel within half an hour which is why I love my Atrios - everything just sounds gooood. It also means that I need a lot of space for my music as I love bringing EVERYTHING with me :)

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 9
I no longer own the M5, but what I remember is that they were fantastic (one of my favs), but that they were warm and a little rolled off in the highs. The HM601 is a fine player, but it has pretty laid back sound that is great, but NOT the best match with warm or rolled off treble earphones. I love it to pieces with my CK10, but with even the relatively balanced t-Jays THREE, find it a little soft. The M5 I did use with Cowon D2 and didn't like that combo for the reason that most of the bass resolution was lost in a muddle of uncontrolled bass roll off. Newer Cowons are supposed to be better, but every time I use them, I've more controlled earphones in my ears, so my observances are 'off' at best. 

Cowon tends to be similar to iPod but with a great EQ and EFX system and the HM601, like the Atrio M5 tends to be warm, darkish, and relaxing. I'd rather pair the M5 with a Cowon for that reason. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
 I'd rather pair the M5 with a Cowon for that reason. 

Agree wholeheartedly with shing on this one. My current favorite Cowon player still has to be the J3, but if your a capacity freak the X7 would be a decent choice butt keep in mind the J3 has a microSD expansion slot if you are that way inclined.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Dang, those Cowon J3's are looking hawt! A 32gig version would be nice, then I could add the 16gb micro sd currently sitting pretty empty in my phone. Or maybe I should just direct my upgrade fever at a nice amp like the Arrow12 HE... :)

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 9
That's true. I kinda skimmed over the reason for wanting to upgrade. If you want to go the amping route be well aware of the extra weight and form factor you will be committing to carry around.
You'll also need to invest in a nice LOD, which jacks up the price even more. Also you could try putting a new (bigger) 850mAH battery in it, or a new 240gb HDD, hell you could even try and DIYMod the thing if you want change
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
I'm currently playing my flac files on a rockboxed 120gb ipod 5.5 through my absolutely great FS Atrio M5 iems. It sounds nice but I guess the mids could be a little itty bit more forward. I love the comfort, bass, isolation and general sound of my M5's but the battery life on the ipod and the proprietary cables are bugging me. And sometimes you just want to try something new :)

I've been looking at the Hifiman HM-601/602 but then I would need to cut down to 32gigs and battery life would be the same as I'm getting with the iPod. The HM-601 supposedly sounds absolutely fantastic, very musical and somwhat warm - The same has been said about the M5's so should I get a colder, more analytical source for them? Looking at Cowon, the 160gb X7 is available at £250, packing native flac support and 103 hours of music playback on a charge. 

I listen to just about every kind of music, I can easily go from Rammstein to Rihanna to Ravel within half an hour which is why I love my Atrios - everything just sounds gooood. It also means that I need a lot of space for my music as I love bringing EVERYTHING with me :)

If you want the mids a little more forward, you can adjust the fabulous Rockbox EQ.
wink_face.gif

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the M5's, and RE0's with rockboxed ipods. I personally love the crossfeed plugin on the rockbox equalizer.  

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all your feedback guys! 

I have relieved a fellow head-fier of his Cowon J3 16gb and a 16gb microsd. That'll give me 32 highly portable gb of awesome sound, if half the statements in the J3 impressions thread are to be believed. The plan, for now, is to use the J3 directly with my M5's as most the people in the M5 thread agree they don't need an amp and most the people in the J3 thread claim that It'll drive almost anything except the most highly demanding cans. Great sound, in my pocket.

But I miss my big cans, had a pair of AKG K-271mk II before, so I think I'll build a home rig a little down the road. A nice amp and a usb dac and some nice, big cans. Kinda miss the sound of the US HFI-680's I had before the AKG's...

I hate this place. Shigzeo, I blame you for the M5's and Hero Kid, you get the blame for the J3. 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back